Foobar2000 Dolby Headphone config - Comment & discuss!
May 2, 2012 at 6:49 PM Post #376 of 868
i'm running win 7 home,i running pre configered forward

i reinstalled it was automnaticly selectiing 24 bit my amp doesn't support 24 changed to 16 @ all good now

May 3, 2012 at 3:01 AM Post #377 of 868
hello,
i´m just starting in the headphone/ hifi world, so sorry about my ignorance.
do you think this configuration would work in a audiogd nfb12?
i use it connected to my laptop via usb.

tks.  

May 3, 2012 at 8:29 AM Post #378 of 868
Should work with any source really, how great the result is I can't speak for though.

May 3, 2012 at 6:09 PM Post #379 of 868
i asked because in the beginning og the thread there is something about the need of a 5.1 soundcard or one that can handle 5.1, and i don´t think my laptop soundcard can.
now the audio gd is stereo but anyway the result is quite impressive specialy with eletronic music.
with rock and jazz i found the sond to get a bit metalic.

May 3, 2012 at 7:00 PM Post #381 of 868
I can't say for sure but since at least I think it simply upscales stereo signal to virtual 5.1 I guess it should work with any source but since I haven't got any true "stereo-only" internally handling DAC I can't say for sure how well it works etc.

I guess I could update that part to a less "alarming" text regarding 5.1 support. I personally work like that I will try anything whatever it says just to verify with my ears haha.

May 3, 2012 at 7:09 PM Post #382 of 868
I've ran some tests in the past of RPGWiZaRD's configs on stereo only DACs, and I do notice the audio to sound different than when running from a 5.1 DAC. The metallic hint on the sound is mainly due to the nature of how DH works, which is a bit more noticeable on stereo outputs, but nothing to worry about.

May 4, 2012 at 1:46 AM Post #383 of 868
thanks for the anwers.
the only downgrade i could notice is that hint of metalic, but on the other hand it gives quite a 3D feling tho the sound.
with eletronic music it´s fantastic, i know the HD600 is not suposed to be good with eletronic music but i found it exelent for it since the beginning, becouse of the precision it has on the bass area. With this config it is incredible how i can position the sppeakers in my hear. cant spot listening since yesterday, just so much Fun it´s like beeng in the real party you can almost visualise the thing .

May 4, 2012 at 3:21 AM Post #385 of 868
Quote:
I can't say for sure but since at least I think it simply upscales stereo signal to virtual 5.1

You have a stereo signal that is upmixed to 5.1 and downmixed to stereo again.  Foobars output is normal stereo that sounds like "virtual 5.1" with headphones.
There is no need for 5.1 support by the audio device at all.

May 6, 2012 at 5:14 AM Post #386 of 868
Quote:
i asked because in the beginning og the thread there is something about the need of a 5.1 soundcard or one that can handle 5.1, and i don´t think my laptop soundcard can.
now the audio gd is stereo but anyway the result is quite impressive specialy with eletronic music.
with rock and jazz i found the sond to get a bit metalic.

Yea metallic highs usually comes especially from too much highs presence around 8kHz~15kHz. I'm currently looking into it as my HP700 have better resolution in the highs and slightly more treble presence it becomes more noticable with these headphones, doesn't require any big adjustments though, just evaluating the new settings atm.

Also if you're using the "laid-back" config I'd try the "forward" one as the freesurround plugin unfortunately causes a bit weird sounding highs sometimes which channel mixer doesn't.

EDIT: Actually I found this "weird" sounding highs with freesurround seems to be caused by the newer 5.1 upmix algortihm... the legacy 5.1 upmix doesn't have that issue... will probably update that one at the same time too.

May 9, 2012 at 11:08 AM Post #387 of 868
Hi guys, total noob over here. I have a few questions for this program. I'll be getting the Superlux hd668b headphones along with an Asus Xonar DG because they have been recommended to me by many people based on my needs (FPS gaming, heavy metal, melodic deathcore metal etc. and rock). I was reading a few articles and one of them mentioned Foobar2000 and Dolby headphone wrapper. This intrigued me a lot because the idea of having surround sound in an FPS game on a stereo headset would help me out greatly. Now my question is: Does Dolby headphone wrapper even work with pc games? Does it matter on the headphones? Does the Superlux hd668b support it?

May 9, 2012 at 8:10 PM Post #389 of 868
LOL! I didn't even notice that... well the http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=29-132-020&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&Pagesize=10&PurchaseMark=&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&VendorMark=&IsFeedbackTab=true&Page=2#scrollFullInfo has it and thats what I'm getting so I'm basically all set :D. Just plug and play!

May 17, 2012 at 3:50 AM Post #390 of 868
I've updated the configs again slightly (available on the first page), I think I've really hit the sweetspot now to make them sound as natural and well balanced as possible. Especially the Laid-back config sounds a lot better and more natural than previously, still with the laid-back config using freesurround plugin causes slight metallic highs sound to it with some sounds in some tracks (if with forward config you may notice something similar in like 1/20 tracks tested, with laid-back config it maybe happens with 1/10) which usually isn't present with the "forward" config using channel mixer but most of the time it's not an audible issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back