Foobar2000 Dolby Headphone config - Comment & discuss!
Apr 6, 2014 at 3:25 PM Post #721 of 868
Not sure how virtual speaker effects are working but if you use this config and dolby headphone then you must disable Dolby Headphone on either foobar2000 or the soundcard or else you get it twice applied which will result in much more reverb and exaggerated sound processing.

Apr 6, 2014 at 4:02 PM Post #723 of 868
  Oh, never knew that. Hmm, is there any way to get ur setup to work for games, youtube videos and live streams?

I wish there was. I've been working with very similar configs that works roughly the same, only had to swap the channel mixer for something else but it involved using an advanced VST host config. Frankly I don't remember exactly all details of that anymore but it was just too much of a PITA to start it all the time when windows launches. Skyrim sounded quite nice though I remember. :)

Apr 10, 2014 at 2:22 AM Post #725 of 868
  hmm, ic.. then in regards to my current setup, is there anything i can do to optimize audio quality? Especially when gaming, watching movies/anime? :)

You have to set the game audio to 5.1.  For movies I upmix 5.1 to 7.1 (just redirecting the RS/RS Channels to 50% to RB/LB Channels) using ffdshow in MPC-HC.  I also use the "Equalizer-APO". This is a very good multichannel equalizer that can be used with every system sound  (not with WASAPI or ASIO).

Apr 10, 2014 at 2:41 AM Post #726 of 868
just to be clear, so even though im using a pair of headphones, i change the game's internal audio setting to 5.1 whilst using the xonar dhoby engine?

also, i'm new to all these things, could you rephrase the above sentence in layman terms and how to go about doing them? Also about the program equalizer APO?

Apr 12, 2014 at 5:14 AM Post #727 of 868
Yes, Dolby Headphone (DH) will play virtual 7.1 on your headphones if you input a 7.1 signal . 
If you input a 5.1 signal  DH plays virtual 5.1 and if you input 2.0 DH plays virtual 2.0,....
You also have to change the channel setting  at your xonar audio card to 7.1, 5.1, 2.0, depending on your audio source channels.

Apr 29, 2014 at 9:07 AM Post #729 of 868
sorry for my english, I greet all.
I have a headphone AKG K 280 with the V-DAC II. I do not feel so much vaccations between foobar and one configured for normal headphones that I downloaded from here, why?
thanks

Sep 5, 2014 at 3:21 PM Post #731 of 868
This is awesome, thanks for the hardwork and sharing this with us. Somehow the laidback version doesnt work on mine, it stutters and distorts I am not sure why, maybe software incompatibilities.
And I wanna know can this be enabled and disabled easily?

Sep 8, 2014 at 7:00 AM Post #732 of 868
I'm using the Grado SR60i. I found both the settings too bright. Can you tell me the tweaks to reduce brightness and make it more natural sounding?

Sep 10, 2014 at 9:42 PM Post #733 of 868
Is everything from the config turned off when you remove everything from the dsp list? or is there more? I agree with the previous poster, it's too bright with my AKG K550's and the only change I notice is a grating, slim sound and reduced gain on every frequency it feels like (reduced by a lot i should add). I don't know how this could sound optimal for all headphones. I find after using it that, logically, optimal would just be a dsp-less foobar, for my headphones at least. I think it's meant to work with dark headphones. Thanks for making this guide though, was worth a try. 

Sep 29, 2014 at 4:41 AM Post #734 of 868
  Is everything from the config turned off when you remove everything from the dsp list? or is there more? I agree with the previous poster, it's too bright with my AKG K550's and the only change I notice is a grating, slim sound and reduced gain on every frequency it feels like (reduced by a lot i should add). I don't know how this could sound optimal for all headphones. I find after using it that, logically, optimal would just be a dsp-less foobar, for my headphones at least. I think it's meant to work with dark headphones. Thanks for making this guide though, was worth a try. 

It works really great with dark headphones. I tried it.
I hope he posts settings for bright headphones as well.
The soundstage is very good giving the sound more depth than the width.
But the brightness annoys me a lot refraining me to use these settings. 

Sep 29, 2014 at 5:12 AM Post #735 of 868
  It works really great with dark headphones. I tried it.
I hope he posts settings for bright headphones as well.
The soundstage is very good giving the sound more depth than the width.
But the brightness annoys me a lot refraining me to use these settings. 

To me it sounds pretty much the same, that's the point of it anyway to keep as close to non-Dolby headphone config balance. Without the adjustment dolby headphone sounds pretty veiled while this EQ setting to me sounds fairly similarly balanced as stock.

Are you sure Dolby headphone is even activated, sounds to me like you may be listening with the EQ settings enabled and the Channel Mixer plugin tweaks but DH isn't activated. Check in the settings for the DH wrapper that the dolby headphone dll plugin is loaded. Some users reported it isn't loaded by default when you grab the preconfigured package, you might have to manually enable it.

This page, check so it's loaded ("location" path will be empty if it's not loaded):

FILE -> PREFERENCES -> PLAYBACK -> DSP MANAGER. SELECT DOLBY HEADPHONE PLUGIN IN THE LIST -> CONFIGURE SELECTED

Users who are viewing this thread

Back