Foobar2000 Dolby Headphone config - Comment & discuss!
Oct 12, 2013 at 8:35 AM Post #691 of 868
First could you tell the title of the song, cause it would help to hear the orginal without any postprocessing.

I wouldn't use any effects after foobar output. No "X-Fi Crystalizer and equalizer"   and no "creative Console Settings: Headphones, EAX->Jazz Club->Effects Amount -60db" .

Oct 14, 2013 at 10:26 AM Post #693 of 868
I have to say Wizard, this dolby mod has probably been the single best mod I have discovered in my audio days period. I can not find a better sounding player than foobar with your dolby settings including Jplay & the likes. It sounds so natural & lifelike. Normal setting sounds very flat & boxed in in comparison. 
I did want to try and implement Jplay into foobar however when implemented, the dolby settings don't work, & even with the Jplay, it sounds no where near as good as the normal foobar with dolby. 
Is there something I can do to have foobar with Jplay and keep your dobly settings? 
Thanks, your truly are a wizard!

Nov 6, 2013 at 6:43 AM Post #694 of 868
I just want to mention another equalizer "Equalizer APO".   It is free software which can be used with  Win7, Win 8 and win 8.1.  The great thing about this parametric  equalizer is that it can be used system-wide, have very high quality works with stereo and also on every  multichannel configuration  and  with additional software you can automatically adjust this equalizer.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/equalizerapo/

The disadvantage is that you first have to spent some time to fully understand how this equalizer works but it is better than the electri Q equalizer mentionend in this thread.

Dec 3, 2013 at 2:13 AM Post #696 of 868
I've been liking more the laid-back settings these last weeks, but there are some things I find strange in this:

1 - It seems the center stage narrows down a bit to the extend that some effects and instruments locations just disappear to my ears.
2 - I also think that it lowers down a little the center stage volume, throught sincerely I am just amateur in perceiving this things, not a pro like you guys.

If I just, like raise the center volume up, would that create coloring and things that should be avoided?
And the narrowing question, is that just me that thinks this? Can that be fixed without going back to forward settings?

Again, thanks for all, these are just my wanderings, skip if they are stupid/wrong.

Dec 3, 2013 at 2:43 AM Post #697 of 868
Well that's the point of laid-back config to put less focus around center channel in order to give a percieved more spacious/large stage due to more focus towards the sides. The laid-back config has slightly less in-your-face / center focus than stock foobar2000 while the forward is the opposite.

It's like comparing Grado headphones vs AKG K70x in sound signature. The purpose is to offer slightly different signatures to match as many people's preferences as possible.

I should really give an update to this config, update to latest foobar2000 and provide new links (would move to my mediafire account) etc. Will see, can't promise when I do.

Dec 3, 2013 at 3:02 AM Post #698 of 868
Well, I understand. I guess we have to sacrifice some things to gain in others.
Through, I really think I am gonna stick with laid-back settings from now on, it's just so spacious, and there's just so much to analyse *-*.
Thanks again for the reply =).

Jan 4, 2014 at 4:39 PM Post #701 of 868
Download links seem to be working now.

I just want to say I've been enjoying these since the first day RPGWiZaRD uploaded them, and I still find this to be the most rewarding headphone experience with any headphones I've used to date!

Thanks again, RPGWiZaRD!

Terry

Edit - heh... seems I was writing at the same time you were uploading, RPGWiZaRD! :)

Jan 4, 2014 at 4:42 PM Post #702 of 868
  Download links seem to be working now.

I just want to say I've been enjoying these since the first day RPGWiZaRD uploaded them, and I still find this to be the most rewarding headphone experience with any headphones I've used to date!

Thanks again, RPGWiZaRD!

Terry

Good to hear! Btw the latest foobar2000 will sound slightly different. I did notice it myself when updating the foobar2000 version. At first I wasn't sure if I liked the change, it seems slightly more laid-back than it was in v1.2.x but the soundstage is more speaker-like and it handles better brickwalled recordings when using this config. The wasapi plugin also has been updated in the preconfigured package.

Jan 13, 2014 at 8:15 PM Post #703 of 868
I just now tried both forward and laid-back. Forward config is splendid and works, but can you try to download laid-back config from the link in page 1 and re-test again? The sound is somehow weird, as if it has been configured wrongly. I already redownload the laid-back config and keep getting same weird sound. Forward is working good btw :)

Foobar 1.3 final is out!

Jan 14, 2014 at 12:15 AM Post #704 of 868
  I just now tried both forward and laid-back. Forward config is splendid and works, but can you try to download laid-back config from the link in page 1 and re-test again? The sound is somehow weird, as if it has been configured wrongly. I already redownload the laid-back config and keep getting same weird sound. Forward is working good btw :)

Foobar 1.3 final is out!

Do you try manually loading the dolby headphone dll file? I'm pretty sure that's what's wrong, if there's any probs with it. It even says in bright red text below the links to do it just in case it's not loaded.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back