Foobar vs Winamp? Foobar Wins.. but..
Feb 6, 2007 at 9:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Torx

New Head-Fier
applying skins is a PITA... the latest foo_look 2.1 plugin doesnt support the latest version 0.9.4.2 and im stuck with this ugly interface..
Ive done all the tweaks, disabled replaygain and dsps, installed the ASIO plugin, have it configured for my x-fi card and the sound is tons better than what winamp was giving me.

So since this version doesnt allow easy skinning, what past version can i fall back on that will allow skinning but still maintain appropriate sound reproduction?
From what people have mentioned in the past, this piece of software does look a little lost on support and plugin support as well.. Whats the deal..

Feb 6, 2007 at 11:51 AM Post #2 of 20
The deal is that everything is completely free and enthusiast-produced. Most plugins are written by fans, not the author of foobar himself, hence they lag behind the train for however long their authors take.

General question:
Why do people care about skins anyway? Isn't your foobar minimized 98% of the time? Lack of pretty skins is one of the reasons foobar loads so fast.

Feb 6, 2007 at 4:41 PM Post #3 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ahriman4891 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
General question:
Why do people care about skins anyway? Isn't your foobar minimized 98% of the time? Lack of pretty skins is one of the reasons foobar loads so fast.

My skin in foobar is just fuctional. Nothing fancy. If you've got a large music collection you can manage it way easier with foobar than with winamp imo.

Feb 6, 2007 at 5:40 PM Post #4 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ahriman4891 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
General question:

yeap, and that's why my foobar is default, only colours were changed

Feb 7, 2007 at 1:33 AM Post #5 of 20
Is there an ASIO option for winamp? Will it sound as good as foobar?
Or is foobar's internals just superior (64-bit internal processing, right?)

Feb 7, 2007 at 3:26 AM Post #6 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by ShadowVlican /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeap, and that's why my foobar is default, only colours were changed

Hey, how do you just change the colors to the default screen? I like the default, but I could use a bit less white/bright backgound for songs.. I'm using v.0.8.3 still.

Feb 7, 2007 at 4:00 AM Post #7 of 20
well i forgot 0.8.3 but in the current version:

Preferences>Display>Default User Interface

i have mine as grey text on black background (white text for active song) i find this to be easiest on the eyes

Feb 7, 2007 at 4:18 AM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by makasin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there an ASIO option for winamp? Will it sound as good as foobar?
Or is foobar's internals just superior (64-bit internal processing, right?)

Yes there is an ASIO plugin for Winamp. I like it better than any of the solutions for Foobar. Many people say they use Foobar because it uses less system resources than Winamp, but with ASIO output I think they have equal sound capability. I use Winamp because I like the winshade mode of the MMD3skin and on my computer it only takes a couple seconds for Winamp to load anyways. Winamp's media library isn't the best but I have a very well organized music folder, so it really doesn't matter to me.

Feb 7, 2007 at 5:12 AM Post #9 of 20
Dont waste your time with ASIO for playback. Kernel streaming achieves the same benefits for playback without the CPU intensity.

Foobar is a royal pain to customize but once done, it's an absolutely brilliant player. Though I wonder why people waste their system resources with its library... don't you all use a decent file browser like Directory Opus or System Commander? That's far more efficient, esp. for large collections.

Feb 7, 2007 at 5:37 AM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Distroyed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dont waste your time with ASIO for playback. Kernel streaming achieves the same benefits for playback without the CPU intensity.

Foobar is a royal pain to customize but once done, it's an absolutely brilliant player. Though I wonder why people waste their system resources with its library... don't you all use a decent file browser like Directory Opus or System Commander? That's far more efficient, esp. for large collections.

My question is why are your system resources so precious? If you're not doing extreme 3D rendering, editing video, or playing the absolute latest PC games while you're listening to music then I don't see why giving up 2% CPU usage and 4k of mem usage is a problem.

Feb 7, 2007 at 8:21 AM Post #11 of 20
I've been auditioning both for the last week or so and I've got to say Winamp sounds just as good as Foobar, imo. I also don't have much need for a media library but there's a plug-in for Winamp called 'Dynamic Library' which displays my music as it appears in Explorer. It updates in real-time and also allows quick searches.

Feb 7, 2007 at 11:14 AM Post #12 of 20
A really easy way to 'skin' foobar is to visit this thread, all the hard work has been done for you!
biggrin.gif

Feb 7, 2007 at 3:40 PM Post #13 of 20
IMHO cobbling together a config from everything out there and tweaking it to one's own specs is half the joy of Foobar. Now that I'm satisfied with what I have, I'm actually missing the fun of putting it together.

All of which is to say, one man's poison is another man's single malt scotch.

Feb 7, 2007 at 4:36 PM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorrofox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been auditioning both for the last week or so and I've got to say Winamp sounds just as good as Foobar, imo. I also don't have much need for a media library but there's a plug-in for Winamp called 'Dynamic Library' which displays my music as it appears in Explorer. It updates in real-time and also allows quick searches.

that is almost exactly what i've been looking for, the artist list on the left, can it sort in different organization like genre? i got to try it out.

Feb 7, 2007 at 5:54 PM Post #15 of 20
Isn't that what the built-in 'Media Library' is for?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back