foobar plugins
Aug 11, 2004 at 4:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

yellow15

New Head-Fier
i was watching video on my computer last night. I installed the WinDVD software that comes with my Optoplay soundcard and I turned on the virtual surround (dolby headphone support) and quite happy with it. Even though i don't really feel the "surround" effects (i can't feel any sound coming from behind). i no longer hear the sound from the left and right ears and i don't feel someone is talking "inside my head".. when i was watching the screen, i do really feel the sound comes from the screen.. or from some normal front speakers.

So now i wonder, is there any plug-ins like this for foobar or winamp?? or i can feel the sound is coming from in front when i'm listening to CDs?
anyone's using something like this?

Aug 11, 2004 at 5:05 AM Post #2 of 20
Foobar comes with Crossfeed plugin which is supposed to do just that. Unfortunately for whatever reason, the plugin is not configurable, but I did find it helpful with my previous headphones (Philips HP800). With the current set I'm still undecided whether to use it or not.

Aug 11, 2004 at 5:38 AM Post #3 of 20
I've installed the "special" version which should come with this crossfeed filter
but i can't see anywhere i can enable this plug-in? i tried look at the DSP, input and also output but can't find it?

Aug 11, 2004 at 10:31 AM Post #4 of 20
Preferences/DSP Manager/right column aka avaiable DSPs/Crossfeed

Aug 11, 2004 at 11:39 AM Post #6 of 20
Thanks for metioning 4front, I just tried it out now. It is very nice, much more audible than the base foobar crossfeed plugin. A wonder with old beatles recordings...

Aug 11, 2004 at 2:23 PM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by jivex5k
I didn't really like crossfeed....
I found one called 4Front at
http://www.yohng.com/headphones.html
I put the room from 15-19%.
It really opened up my closed dt770s

Interesting. I just tried it and the space opened quite a lot in comparison with Foobar crossfeed.
eek.gif
Thanks for the link, jivex5k.
wink.gif

Aug 11, 2004 at 2:54 PM Post #8 of 20
I just tried the 4Front plug and I prefer the FB2k crossfeed, which preserves the intimacy of headphones while reducing the fatigue. The 4Front plugin made it sound like I was listening to tinny speakers, a neat affect, but IMHO, if I wanted to do that I'd just turn on my speakers!

EDIT: I just figured out the control panel is in the system tray (
confused.gif
) and turning the room down does help a lot, but I still prefer FB2K's crossfeed.

Aug 11, 2004 at 3:28 PM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by jivex5k
I didn't really like crossfeed....
I found one called 4Front at
http://www.yohng.com/headphones.html
I put the room from 15-19%.
It really opened up my closed dt770s

Nice find!! I'm gonna have to give that a try when I get home! thanks!!
3000smile.gif

Aug 11, 2004 at 3:47 PM Post #10 of 20
When I installed this it added two 4Front Headphones plugins to the dsp manager. Did I do something wrong?

Aug 11, 2004 at 4:58 PM Post #11 of 20
http://uberfast.ece.ucsb.edu/~mgrund/hrtf/index.htm

This experimental plugin was the result of some threads here at Headfi and also at HydrogenAudio. It's a bit complicated to set up, and it has some issues (if I recall correctly, the signal needs to be at 44.1 khz when it reaches this DSP or you get Alvin and the Chipmunks). This should let you position a pair of "virtual speakers" in front, behind you, or at whatever other odd angles you my happen to choose. As with any of these things, the effectiveness and usefulness of it is debatable.

Aug 11, 2004 at 5:05 PM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by erikzen
When I installed this it added two 4Front Headphones plugins to the dsp manager. Did I do something wrong?

No. double click on it to make it active, and look at your system tray afterwards

[Edit] Sorry, I didnt notice the word "two". I had a similar problem, when I copied the dll to the foobar parent dir(but kept the orig.), but I only got an error on startup. ? . Did you try restarting foobar?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Aug 11, 2004 at 5:13 PM Post #13 of 20
Yes, there are two "instances" of it in the system tray, too.

Aug 11, 2004 at 10:49 PM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Radar
I just tried the 4Front plug and I prefer the FB2k crossfeed, which preserves the intimacy of headphones while reducing the fatigue. The 4Front plugin made it sound like I was listening to tinny speakers, a neat affect, but IMHO, if I wanted to do that I'd just turn on my speakers!

EDIT: I just figured out the control panel is in the system tray (
confused.gif
) and turning the room down does help a lot, but I still prefer FB2K's crossfeed.

I just tried it out, and I agree. Foobars crossfeed is much more subtle, and much more natural. The 4Front plugin sounds like I'm holding my headphones away from my ears. Ick.
blink.gif

Aug 11, 2004 at 10:51 PM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rempert
http://uberfast.ece.ucsb.edu/~mgrund/hrtf/index.htm

This experimental plugin was the result of some threads here at Headfi and also at HydrogenAudio. It's a bit complicated to set up, and it has some issues (if I recall correctly, the signal needs to be at 44.1 khz when it reaches this DSP or you get Alvin and the Chipmunks). This should let you position a pair of "virtual speakers" in front, behind you, or at whatever other odd angles you my happen to choose. As with any of these things, the effectiveness and usefulness of it is debatable.

I've download it and followed the installation steps but it crash my foobar? any idea why is it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back