Foobar Passthrough with iTunes
Oct 8, 2006 at 9:09 PM Post #16 of 21
I was fiddling a bit with foobar passtrough on iTunes 7. I used multi-plugin 2.4.2 and Foobar 0.94 with Kernel Streaming. Like some others I didn't have sound at first. I also got it working by switching Quicktime output to motherboard on-board sound rather than my AV-710 soundcard, thanks for the suggestion! Gapless play does not seem to work with Foobar passthrough though. Is that correct?

Oct 8, 2006 at 9:35 PM Post #17 of 21
you know, it doesn't work with my protected AAC from itunes store. screw it i'm going back to normal joe itunes!

Oct 8, 2006 at 10:24 PM Post #18 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fan
Actually I had the same problem as well when using iTunes 7.01, Multi Plug-in 2.4.2, Foobar 0.9.4, and ASIO4ALL. The time slider within iTunes would move and the "Total Time Played" indicator within foobar2000 preferences would be moving as well, but there was still no sound. (It should be noted that my foobar2000 pass-through works when using DirectSound.) Before I get into more details about how I managed to get ASIO to work with foobar2000 pass-through, I should state my setup consists of my IBM T42 notebook which has an internal soundcard (SoundMAX) and HeadRoom MicroStack connected via USB.

Now, I noticed that when iTunes is running ASIO4ALL would indicate that my USB Audio Codec (MicoDAC) was "beyond logic", but it would indicate it as being available when iTunes was not on. Secondly, ASIO output works fine when just running foobar2000 and not via the foobar pass-through. I do not know the exact mechanism behind how it actually works, but I supposed that iTunes was using the same channels that foobar2000 was trying to use for ASIO at the same time for output (since the MicroDAC only has 2 channels). Therefore, I went into the "Sounds and Audio Devices" settings under control panel and set my default audio output device as the SoundMAX (onboard) card. This makes iTunes output music using the Soundmax card which I don't care about. With foobar passthrough enabled, I set the foobar2000 output back to ASIO4ALL through my USB Audio Codec (MicroDAC) and voila! Music is playing through the MicroStack and I don't hear anything through the onboard sound.

I hope this helps.

Fan

Hey, thanks for the input
biggrin.gif

But I think for time being, I'll stay with my Itunes6 + Foobar 0.83 + M-Plugin 2.3.2....IMHO, it's more stable than the M-plugin 2.4.2 with Itunes7 + Foobar 0.94..

Oct 8, 2006 at 11:50 PM Post #19 of 21
yeah.. i'll have to agree with nichifanlema that the older versions seem to be more stable.. but can foobar 0.8.x play apple lossless? Since that was the only reason that led me to change to using 0.9.4.

Oct 8, 2006 at 11:52 PM Post #20 of 21
not sure...I don't use Apple lossless...so...
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

Oct 9, 2006 at 5:51 PM Post #21 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
you know, it doesn't work with my protected AAC from itunes store. screw it i'm going back to normal joe itunes!

You might be interested in this. It strips the DRM off of iTunes Store purchases.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back