Foobar Passthrough with iTunes
Sep 28, 2006 at 1:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Laptopia

500+ Head-Fier
With a lot of help (thanks, nfusion770!), I finally got Multi-Plugin working to pass my iTunes library through to Foobar. The catch is that none of my sound cards on my computers support ASIO, so I'm dubious that I have gotten any advantage. In the absence of ASIO, what does one gain by implementing a passthrough?

Sep 28, 2006 at 2:03 AM Post #2 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob ♫
With a lot of help (thanks, nfusion770!), I finally got Multi-Plugin working to pass my iTunes library through to Foobar. The catch is that none of my sound cards on my computers support ASIO, so I'm dubious that I have gotten any advantage. In the absence of ASIO, what does one gain by implementing a passthrough?

Well, you can impress your friends with your bitchin computer skills.
biggrin.gif

Sep 28, 2006 at 4:30 AM Post #3 of 21
iTunes supports ASIO through a plugin, so if that's the only feature you wanted you certainly took the longest path to getting it
wink.gif

Foobar is a more powerful player in that it gives you control over virtually every aspect of playback, but power comes at the cost of ease-of-use. iTunes has a prettier interface. That being said, Foobar can be made to look pretty badass with a little know-how, and I just happen to love the "this program is designed for nothing but quality audio playback" no BS interface.

Sep 28, 2006 at 4:43 AM Post #4 of 21
Sep 28, 2006 at 6:01 PM Post #6 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeChuck
iTunes supports ASIO through a plugin, so if that's the only feature you wanted you certainly took the longest path to getting it
wink.gif

Foobar is a more powerful player in that it gives you control over virtually every aspect of playback, but power comes at the cost of ease-of-use. iTunes has a prettier interface. That being said, Foobar can be made to look pretty badass with a little know-how, and I just happen to love the "this program is designed for nothing but quality audio playback" no BS interface.

News to me. Noone said that in the "Best of Both Worlds" thread. I guess some of the other foobar tools are cool.... I guess.

Sep 28, 2006 at 7:08 PM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by rumatt
I tried multi-plugin with itunes. It installed OK, but when I tried to use it, it told me that foobar wasn't installed on my computer.
confused.gif
I have the lates foobar 0.94.

I haven't fiddled with it since.

try re-installing foobar and when you get to the option that needs you to set 'access to all users or just you' change the default option. That fixed it for me but can't remember which was the default as I'm at work and not home. The solution is in the thread over at http://aqua-soft.org/board/showthread.php?t=38334.

Steve

Sep 28, 2006 at 8:16 PM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by StevieDvd
try re-installing foobar and when you get to the option that needs you to set 'access to all users or just you' change the default option. That fixed it for me but can't remember which was the default as I'm at work and not home. The solution is in the thread over at http://aqua-soft.org/board/showthread.php?t=38334.

Steve

Interesting- that sounds eerily similar to what I had to change in the registry. If that doesnt work, check out "the best of both worlds" thread.

Sep 29, 2006 at 4:58 AM Post #10 of 21
Yeah, that sounds like a simpler version of the change the registry fix. That was a pain in the @$$ not knowing how to do it at first.

Oct 2, 2006 at 2:53 AM Post #12 of 21
Been trying to install this for a hour or so,finally managed it but its a bit buggy at the moment IMHO.

Keeps crashing when I try to import my library and does not seem to passthrough when I play a CD in the drive but I suppose it's early days and will be good if they get it sorted.

BTW using ASIO has transformed my sounds, so thanks to all who recommended it.

And thanks StevieDvd.Save you looking, you have to uncheck the "for all users" when you Re-install foobar,this works for the people having the"foobar not installed message",

Oct 6, 2006 at 5:52 PM Post #13 of 21
well, i've managed to get the passthrough to 'work', after re-installing foobar with the 'all users' unchecked, but now i'm not getting any sound from speakers when I use it ! everything is fine when played through Foobar normally, but when Itunes is used, the songs 'play' but no sound is output.

Setup :

Itunes 7.01, Multiplugin 2.4.2, Foobar 0.9.4, ASIO4All, M-audio Sonica

Oct 6, 2006 at 8:33 PM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by monkeygod
well, i've managed to get the passthrough to 'work', after re-installing foobar with the 'all users' unchecked, but now i'm not getting any sound from speakers when I use it ! everything is fine when played through Foobar normally, but when Itunes is used, the songs 'play' but no sound is output.

Setup :

Itunes 7.01, Multiplugin 2.4.2, Foobar 0.9.4, ASIO4All, M-audio Sonica

THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT HAPPENED TO ME!!!!

I had exact same setup...Itunes 7 + M-plugin 2.4.2 + Foobar 0.94 + ASIO

however, when I choose on M-plugin "Foobar Passthru", with Foobar set on ASIO or Kernel Streaming, on Itunes the music will PLAY but with NO SOUND.

Didn't work out, so in the end I had to downgrade to
Itunes6, M-plugin 2.3.2, Foobar 0.83
and now it works like magic. well there are some bugs, and not 100% stable, but yeah I think I'm okay with that now
wink.gif

Oct 6, 2006 at 10:05 PM Post #15 of 21
Actually I had the same problem as well when using iTunes 7.01, Multi Plug-in 2.4.2, Foobar 0.9.4, and ASIO4ALL. The time slider within iTunes would move and the "Total Time Played" indicator within foobar2000 preferences would be moving as well, but there was still no sound. (It should be noted that my foobar2000 pass-through works when using DirectSound.) Before I get into more details about how I managed to get ASIO to work with foobar2000 pass-through, I should state my setup consists of my IBM T42 notebook which has an internal soundcard (SoundMAX) and HeadRoom MicroStack connected via USB.

Now, I noticed that when iTunes is running ASIO4ALL would indicate that my USB Audio Codec (MicoDAC) was "beyond logic", but it would indicate it as being available when iTunes was not on. Secondly, ASIO output works fine when just running foobar2000 and not via the foobar pass-through. I do not know the exact mechanism behind how it actually works, but I supposed that iTunes was using the same channels that foobar2000 was trying to use for ASIO at the same time for output (since the MicroDAC only has 2 channels). Therefore, I went into the "Sounds and Audio Devices" settings under control panel and set my default audio output device as the SoundMAX (onboard) card. This makes iTunes output music using the Soundmax card which I don't care about. With foobar passthrough enabled, I set the foobar2000 output back to ASIO4ALL through my USB Audio Codec (MicroDAC) and voila! Music is playing through the MicroStack and I don't hear anything through the onboard sound.

From the way that the music sounds after having done this is noticeably better than through DirectSound, but just to make sure that I was bypassing the kmixer, I tried fiddling with the volume tabs in windows and they had no effect. However, the iTunes volume tab seems to be able to change the volume (although it was able to even when running DirectSound output as well).

I hope this helps.

Fan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back