foobar is slightly fubar
Sep 1, 2008 at 7:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

NC1111

100+ Head-Fier
I installed foobar 2000. The problem is that I am getting very choppy CD playback. I set the buffer high, but that didn't help.

Sep 1, 2008 at 3:00 PM Post #2 of 8
I was having so much trouble with Foobar that, after almost two years of constant work to get it to even remotely have the same attributes of of other free players, And a LOT of work chasing bugs and reinstalling third party plugins, I just uninstalled it and went with Media Monkey.
I couldn't be happier.

Sep 1, 2008 at 5:01 PM Post #3 of 8
Go to preferences> output> keep the Buffer rate around 1100-1200.

i had this same problem today when i kept buffer at 1400.

And also make sure your bitrate is set to 16 bit unless u have a 24bit output soundcard.

EDIT: keeping it at 1800 ms nearly removed all the problems i had.

1800 is the sweet spot when my computer is running lots of programs.

Sep 2, 2008 at 2:56 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by NC1111 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I installed foobar 2000. The problem is that I am getting very choppy CD playback. I set the buffer high, but that didn't help.

What active DSP's do you have going? I followed an online source on setting up Foobar a few years ago and it had me putting all kinds of limiters, equalizers, etc in there and that ended up being the problem. Now I just have Crossfader active and its been no problems since.

Sep 2, 2008 at 4:31 PM Post #6 of 8
As per my experience, I would start by asking whether or not you are using a "bit-perfect" output plugin.

Yes?

1) If it's ASIO4all, try downloading ASIO2Ks instead.

2) If it's WASAPI, what is the sampling frequency capability of your DAC? I've found that WASAPI defaults at a resample of 48 kHz in Foobar (which cannot be changed... as far as I know).

No? Are you using a resampler? Try different frequency samplings first, and bit-depth rates, second.

Sep 2, 2008 at 4:36 PM Post #7 of 8
Oh, and...

3) If it's KS, try ASIO or WASAPI instead.

**I'm not saying that one "bit-perfect" plugin is better than another... just that one might be more compatible for his/her particular setup. You can put down the torches and pitch-forks now.***

Sep 3, 2008 at 4:57 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by mlarn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What active DSP's do you have going? I followed an online source on setting up Foobar a few years ago and it had me putting all kinds of limiters, equalizers, etc in there and that ended up being the problem. Now I just have Crossfader active and its been no problems since.

EQ
Convert mono to stereo
Advanced limiter.

All my gain is set to off, and when I am listening via my speakers I use a bit perfect signal via WASAPI at 24bit. When I am using my ****ty USB headset, I use DS, 16bit.

Also, if you find your headphones fatiguing, you can download Crossfeed plugin, which will help with that issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back