Foobar and 24/96 with RME 9652
Oct 25, 2008 at 1:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

rms

New Head-Fier
Does anybody know how to setup Foobar 0.8.3 to play 24/96 .flac files through an RME Digi9652 soundcard? I have searched the web and found two threads on other boards with similar problem but no solution.

The playback of .flac files ripped from regular CD's using EAC is perfect. To get that to work though I had to set preferences>playback>output>Asio>Shift Output Channels to 24. The spdif output on the RME card is at locations 23 and 24. Took me a little while to figure that one out.

When I try to playback a 24/96 file I get the error message popup "ERROR (foo_output_asio(dll)) : too many channels"

So I decrease the Shift Output Channels setting to 12 and no longer get that message and Foobar seems happy but of course I get no output from the RME.

I really have no idea of how to fix this, any suggestions will be greatly appreciated as I'd love to listen to some 24/96 files.

Thanks,

Oct 25, 2008 at 8:06 AM Post #3 of 5
I suspect you haven't set the output to 96khz in the preferences, before you can do this you need the resampler plugin from Foobar Compnents, the dll from this plugin needs to be put in the Components folder along with all the other dlls in the the Program folder under My Computer, then open up Foobar and go to Playback>DSP Manager>double click on DSP Manger and move the resampler from available dsp's on the right to active dsp on the left, then expand the dsp manager and click on resampler, in the resampler change the target setting to 96khz and close Foobar, then reopen Foobar and the output will be set to 96khz, you can use this for your cds also and see if you hear any differences, possibly slightly smoother sound.
I have a RME 9632 and I need to shift the channels to 2 for playback, by the way when using the resampler at 96khz you may have to increase the buffering to avoid spits or breaks in playback.
When usin ASIO particularly there is one tweak which you ought to carry out to improve the sound, go to Start>Control Panel>System>Advanced tab>Performance Settings>Advanced tab>Processor Sceduling highlight Background Services then hit the apply button, this is useful as asio is a background process and therefore applying this gives this a preference over programs and cpu use.
Hope the above is useful

Oct 26, 2008 at 8:01 PM Post #4 of 5
Hey Mike,
Resampler is listed in the dsp manager but i don't see a resampler dll in the components folder, where can I get it? Or can you send me a copy? I found something that sounds like it might work called the secret rabbit code but to get to the dll you apparently need to understand c++ because there is no obvious way to get just the dll from that site or in the download.
Thanks

Oct 27, 2008 at 8:16 AM Post #5 of 5
Here is the link for one resampler that can be used Secret Rabbit Code Resampler for Foobar2000. the download is at the bottom of the page called the latest version of the resampler (this resampler allows up to 192khz but I would recommend using 96khz), there is also another one on the Foobar site look in additional components, which ever version you use put the extracted dll file in the Components folder of Foobar found in the Programs folder under Foobar. When resampling you may have to increase the buffering size to avoid hiccups in the sound, look in the RME control panel and increase the time to achieve this(I think it is on the left hand side of the open control panel). By the way although the RME card is excellent I would recommend a Lynx AES16 for better sound quality provided you only require digital ins and outs otherwise stick with the RME or perhaps consider a Lynx 2 card. Hope the above is useful and you get it working as it should produce a great sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back