Foobar 2000 or JRiver MC19
May 12, 2014 at 2:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

chrismini

100+ Head-Fier
I have used both programs extensively and I can't detect any difference in sound quality if both are in WASAPI mode. If you're into audio only IMHO J River is a waste of $50. I use ALAC or AIFF files with a HeadRoom Micro Amp and DAC. HiFiMAN HE-400 'phones. Other gizmos as well that I won't go into.

May 12, 2014 at 6:48 PM Post #2 of 19
I have used both programs extensively and I can't detect any difference in sound quality if both are in WASAPI mode. If you're into audio only IMHO J River is a waste of $50. I use ALAC or AIFF files with a HeadRoom Micro Amp and DAC. HiFiMAN HE-400 'phones. Other gizmos as well that I won't go into.

True, there is no sound quality difference, but you can easily trial JRiver with full functionality for 30 days before spending $50. These two are quite different programs in terms of user interface and feature set.

May 12, 2014 at 9:10 PM Post #3 of 19
The sound quality should be the same among any bit-perfect player.
The library management in JRiver is far superior to anything I have found in another application though, and I also use the video features, so it's well worth the $50 in my opinion.

May 13, 2014 at 9:53 AM Post #4 of 19
Been there, done that. That's how I came to my conclusion. Hey J River is a cool program and if I had a spare $50 to spend on software I'd probably go for it. But I can think of a lot of things I'd rather spend that money on.

May 13, 2014 at 12:48 PM Post #7 of 19
  Which DSP functions do you utilize?

i use the analyzer. Foobar has one but it's in a bar graph. I use the environment effect and surround field, and tempo & pitch. Foobar has tempo & pitch if you download the add ones, but i'm trying to make it sound the same as in jriver. I used to use the room correction for my 2.1 speakers and it's very useful if you don't have a receiver. I use this for crossover and bass management for my left and right channels. 

I'm currently using the trial version and yea, $50 seems much. For video play back, good ol' vlc and MPC-HC is good enough. 

May 13, 2014 at 2:15 PM Post #8 of 19
I don't use any effects with J River in order to get bit perfect output to my DAC which I get with Foobar. If I had $50 to burn I'd go with J River. I've used the trial version and know what it's about. It's a great program, but I'd be paying for a lot of things I have no reason to have. Like video for one. 

May 13, 2014 at 3:37 PM Post #9 of 19
i use the analyzer. Foobar has one but it's in a bar graph. I use the environment effect and surround field, and tempo & pitch. Foobar has tempo & pitch if you download the add ones, but i'm trying to make it sound the same as in jriver. I used to use the room correction for my 2.1 speakers and it's very useful if you don't have a receiver. I use this for crossover and bass management for my left and right channels. 

I'm currently using the trial version and yea, $50 seems much. For video play back, good ol' vlc and MPC-HC is good enough. 

Well there are a few things to mention. Firstly, the same audio engine is used for video playback as music playback - so the advanced DSP features apply there too. This makes it a lot easier to use things like room correction with video playback.

VLC sucks as a video player. It's all about convenience over quality.
MPC-HC is good once you add in things like madVR, reclock, and get everything configured. JRiver automatically sets things up for the best quality with ROHQ mode, with very little configuration required.
Neither VLC or MPC-HC have proper library management features. JRiver handles my library of a few thousand DVDs and Blu-rays better than anything else I have tried.

I'm also curious about how you use Foobar. It has always seemed like most people just use it to navigate a folder structure on their drive, rather than it having a proper database or library management features.

The thing with JRiver is its breadth and depth of features. On the surface it might not seem like it does a lot more than player X or Y, but when you start digging, you begin to see just how powerful it is.
But maybe it's not for you. I just haven't found anything that is remotely comparable once you start making use of most of its features instead of picking one or two to focus on.

May 13, 2014 at 5:26 PM Post #10 of 19
Beside the fact fact you can find fifty reasons to prefer Foobar if you ask your wallet, it depends more of what you're looking for
On one hand you have a very efficient music player, on the other hand you have a complete media management system.
Foobar get the best of basics for music. It's not fancy, quite basic, not very ergonomic but it has never been the purpose here.
So Foobar is all about playback and it really succeed in it.

However Jriver has all the pros of Foobar, and these ones represent just a little part of Jriver's advantages.
Even if you juste use the Audio part of it, you'll get one of the best software to manage and play your music.
Powerfull migration tools, dynamic filter system to sort your music which can operate on pretty much any piece of information
(from the classic artist, album... to whatever you want like sample rate or bit depth),.... You'll find pretty much any feature you could think about
Moreover, despite the fact Jriver is quite a big piece of code, it has been very well implemented and keeps being reactive
with thousands of files managed.

So it's all about your needs, they're two very different softwares with different purpose.
And because a bit perfect is a bit perfect whatever the software, it's more about "Foobar 2000 AND Jriver MC19" 
beerchug.gif

May 13, 2014 at 7:49 PM Post #11 of 19

Neither VLC or MPC-HC have proper library management features. JRiver handles my library of a few thousand DVDs and Blu-rays better than anything else I have 

Why do u need library management for your dvd and blu ray? I understand if you rip the movies. But if they are on disc, you just insert the disc and enjoy the movie. 

May 14, 2014 at 8:41 AM Post #12 of 19
The biggest selling point for me in JRiver was the video playback with ASIO output - WASAPI isn't good enough because it doesn't bypass my soundcard drivers. That and the ability to use VSTs with video playback (last I checked this was a royal pain in MPC-HC).

I've grown to love it for other reasons but I definitely can't live without it anymore :)

And I do love foobar and could have stayed with it as far as audio playback is concerned.

Jan 31, 2015 at 10:49 PM Post #14 of 19
For Processing: J river, because i think that his "Internal Volume" is more powerfull than the internal volume of f2k. (64-bit, Audio Calibration, Reference Volume, Loudness, Volume leveling, adaptive volume, room environment and more...)

For "Bit-Perfect": Jriver and F2k are the same.

For Customization: Foobar, of course!

Feb 2, 2015 at 5:18 AM Post #15 of 19
  The biggest selling point for me in JRiver was the video playback with ASIO output - WASAPI isn't good enough because it doesn't bypass my soundcard drivers. That and the ability to use VSTs with video playback (last I checked this was a royal pain in MPC-HC).

I've grown to love it for other reasons but I definitely can't live without it anymore :)

And I do love foobar and could have stayed with it as far as audio playback is concerned.

wasapi being in exclusive mode has nothing to do with the player you use. it's a configuration matter.
I don't really see the perk of bit perfect on videos when most of them use lossy audio(and then I use digital voume controls all the time), but that's me.^_^

I don't think that a player is better than another, it has what someone wants or it doesn't. JR is pretty easy to use, and most people will find it great as is. foobar on the other hand is not always intuitive and starts off as a minimalist system. it's up to the user to add stuff, plug-in, DSPs, VSTs... when he needs them.
I see it as a time vs work system, for those who don't have very specific needs, then spending 50$ may save them a great deal of time trying to customize foobar. on the other hand, you can turn foobar into pretty much whatever you wish.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back