Folks over 30 who play video games (and general new console help, please)...
Sep 13, 2002 at 4:10 PM Post #32 of 56
"Regarding the ladies, my suggestion is to sign up for Big Brothers, but then never visit the kid. When a woman comes by and points at the machine in disgust, you can say "I picked that up shortly after becoming a Big Brother." She'll think you're compassionate!"

Or she'll think you're trying to molest children
tongue.gif

Sorry, bad joke.
wink.gif

Anyway, I'm 26 (does that make me ineligible for this thread?). And I own a Nintendo64, DreamCast, PSX, PS2, XBox, and GameCube so I guess you can call me a "casual gamer."

Don't let anyone prejudice you by dogging a console. On gaming forums there are endless battles in threads about which console will "win the war." They'll troll and post articles saying "Nintendo is failing," or "Micro$oft is losing money," and other crap.

Know what? None of that matters. It's about the games and all the consoles have great games. Follow your gut feeling after trying out the systems.

The game Halo is worth buying an XBox for by itself. Awesome game, great fun. Another good thing about the XBox is the Hard Drive. Rip a bunch of your favorite song to the drive and some games let you add your songs to the game's soundtrack. I love playing Rally-Sport Challenge (good game!) listening to my favorite punk rock anthems.

I brought the PS2 just for the new Gran Turismo 3: A-Spec game (awesome!) and the other great games in the library are a bonus. It’s a solid system.

The GameCube has some titles coming out that show great promise (Metroid Prime!). The Game Cube is not "kiddie" (although it does look like a purse). It's about the game play and a game doesn't have to have blood and dismemberment to be enjoyable for people over 15. Christ! Super-Monkey Ball is a great game, and it's suitable for all audiences (and chicks dig it). And, there are some mature titles on the GC.

It's also about the controllers, try them out and decide what you're more comfortable holding. If the XBox controller feels a bit hammy and big, try the s-controller for the Xbox, it's a step down in size and is my current favorite. The PS2 controllers are great because they are improvements on the original PSX analog stick controllers. The GameCube controllers are comfortable, but they look silly.

Whatever you choose, you’ll be happy. I got all three because there are titles coming for each platform that are unique to the platform.

Don’t hide the system. Keep it out, your friends will want to play. Sports games are great fun to play with friends and more chicks in their 20s and 30s game than you think. I know a couple 28 to 30 year old girls who will school anyone in Madden 2003 (and they’re cute!).

BTW - I out my XBox and my PS2 in my AV rack. The other consoles are under the TV.

Sep 13, 2002 at 4:23 PM Post #33 of 56
I can't believe I'm responding to this, but I suppose we're among friends--I apologize in advance for my typical frankness.

First, I think it's a little on the sad/pathetic side that you'd think the best approach to dating would be to hide or mold your interests such as to give the impression that you're someone you're not. If you just want to get laid, you can go to any bar and find someone who won't pay much mind to your electronics on the way to the bedroom. If you're interested in more than just that then you should probably consider letting the person know up front who you are and what your interests are (even if they're geeky). Pretentious ******** is not good for the longevity of relationships.

It's nice to have a significant other that shares your interests. If you find someone who digs audio, video games and Sony products in general (sorry, required dig) then bonus, great. If not, you're allowed to have your own interests seperate from her (or him, or whatever) and in fact, I highly recommend having some. Sharing *everything* isn't as fun as it sounds. Remember that unless you're a highly unusual person, she'll probably have things she's interested in that bore the living hell out of you too. The important thing is to respect those differences and find someone capable of respecting them.

This is spoken from someone who is over 30, has 17 video game consoles, spends a lot of time on the internet, has audio crap, home theater crap and still likes to watch cartoons (even the weird Japanese ones with subtitles). And I'm not even all that to look at and I still manage with the opposite sex.

"Be yourself" is cliche but it's useful. In addition to being yourself, check to make sure that yourself is someone you're proud of being. If not, work on that. Chances are the game consoles aren't the only thing you're insecure about and that insecurity **** is like cancer on relationships.

Ok, so game consoles. Here's the current line-up in my view.
PS2: good all-rounder, perfect for the average gamer, good controllers, backward compatible to PS1, capable of playing DVDs (though not well), best third party game support, largest number of titles, rentals, etc.
lots of BIG titles: Virtua Fighter, Gran Turismo, Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy, Grand Theft Auto -- recommended for older kids and adults

GameCube: better for fans of Nintendo games, specifically--Zelda and Mario won't be on PS2 and for some this is reason enough to go GameCube (or to have both consoles), smaller footprint makes it great for a totable system if you want to take it camping or to a friends house, overall more content suitable for kids

XBox: best video hardware of the three, excellent if you're into sports (especially EA -- by the way, lots of guys over 30 like Football, maybe you've heard that), has some killer multi-player games, console is hackable to do a lot of things I can't post about on this forum

PC: still the best place to find 3d shooters and strategy games, still weak on action games, still the best for online gaming (for now), not good for social party games (ie, consoles are best for having 2 or 3 people in your livingroom floor--beer and nachos optional)

Sep 13, 2002 at 5:02 PM Post #34 of 56
He he... I wasn't sure if someone of my age would find much of interest in video gaming (though it seems many here do), and I'm still on the fence.

The thing is, in terms of hobbies, I'm more into the lay-deez
biggrin.gif
than video games (obviously it's not even a hobby yet as I don't even own a console or computer games). In any event, I wouldn't want the potential new hobby to interfere with the old one, if you follow, and that was thrust of the question.

There's also the issue of having colleagues from work over that need to take you seriously as part of your ability to function in your job. Not sure how the console would fly. These concerns have nothing to do with my self-esteem which I think even a cursory review of my posts would reveal is quite healthy.
wink.gif

But gee, thanks everyone for the heavy psychological counseling....
wink.gif

markl

Sep 13, 2002 at 5:04 PM Post #35 of 56
"There's also the issue of having colleagues from work over that need to take you seriously as part of your ability to function in your job. Not sure how the console would fly. "

Heh. They might want to challange you to a game.
tongue.gif

Sep 13, 2002 at 5:55 PM Post #36 of 56
Just to chime in with my two cents, I believe that both PS2 and the Gamecube are great systems with great game libraries. The PS2 already has an awesome selection, like Final Fantasy X, Ominusha 2, Metal Gear Solid 2, Devil May Cry, and Kingdom Hearts, Silent Hill etc. But the Gamecube has quite a few gems of its own as well (Resident Evil, Super Smash Bros., Eternal Darkness, Wrestlemania X8 (I'm serious about this one!), Star Wars Rogue Squadron II, Pikmin, Mario Sunshine, etc.) and because the 'Cube is earlier in its life span than the PS2, it has the brightest future in terms of must-own games coming for it. Nintendo has a whole slew of guaranteed masterpieces coming up for the system (Metroid Prime, Legend of Zelda, Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles, Star Fox Adventures...). You really can't go wrong with either system. Keep in mind though, that it's my personal opinion that the PS2 is somewhat of a ripoff at its price of $199. The Gamecube costs $50 less and it's a far superior system graphically. The PS2 is a year or two older and it doesn't have nearly the level of graphical quality that the Gamecube is capable of. But that's just my opinion.

One thing's for sure, though: avoid the Xbox. At ALL costs.

Quote:

Originally posted by markl
biggrin.gif
than video games

Well, aren't you just the pimp?
wink.gif

Sep 13, 2002 at 6:10 PM Post #37 of 56
"One thing's for sure, though: avoid the Xbox. At ALL costs."

Why? Asside from the fact that it weighs more than a medium sized dog, it's a great unit. Oh, and Microsoft is purchasing Rare.

Sep 13, 2002 at 8:12 PM Post #38 of 56
Quote:

The thing is, in terms of hobbies, I'm more into the lay-deez - markl

get a turntable, ****'s like spanish fly.

Sep 13, 2002 at 11:13 PM Post #39 of 56
Avoid the Xbox? Are you kidding? NO WAY!!!

Xbox Live is truly a revolutionary, KILLER idea!! Voice chat/masking, one login for all games, inviting others into other games... even when they are playing another. Console games have needed a shot in the arm for a few years and THIS IS IT. I haven't seen anything this cool/new since Dance Dance Revolution hit the U.S. streets in early 2000.

Xbox Live is the technology that has finally convinced me to buy a next-gen console. Broadband is the killer app. I won't have to be shackled to my PC anymore. Hell, even Battlefield 1942 is coming for the Xbox... how ****ing cool is THAT?!?

Gonna be a good year for games!

Sep 13, 2002 at 11:24 PM Post #41 of 56
Quote:

Originally posted by markl
He he... I wasn't sure if someone of my age would find much of interest in video gaming (though it seems many here do), and I'm still on the fence.

biggrin.gif
than video games (obviously it's not even a hobby yet as I don't even own a console or computer games). In any event, I wouldn't want the potential new hobby to interfere with the old one, if you follow, and that was thrust of the question.

There's also the issue of having colleagues from work over that need to take you seriously as part of your ability to function in your job. Not sure how the console would fly. These concerns have nothing to do with my self-esteem which I think even a cursory review of my posts would reveal is quite healthy.
wink.gif

But gee, thanks everyone for the heavy psychological counseling....
wink.gif

markl

I'm with you, Mark! Most guys our age can't afford to seem like dorks with game consoles laying around everywhere. Yeah, we like to play once in a while, but we can do it discreetly. Not everything has to be "in your face" and some things are better left underground. This is the time when people start taking us seriously. We have to maintain the facade.
smily_headphones1.gif
Besides, remember what I said about women are age being on the prowl.

Sep 20, 2002 at 8:04 PM Post #43 of 56
Well, I thought I'd add my two-cents worth. I am 34 and not only do I play video games, both PC and console, but am a console game developer to boot. My wife, yup I'm married, has no problem with my game playing as long as I don't spent more time with the console than her (and quite frankly she is alot more attractive than the console
wink.gif
). My friends and colleagues (both in the game industry and from a prior life in the defense industry) take me seriously whether or not I have a game console sitting in my livingroom because I have their respect as a software engineer and as a person.

But to answer your question, buy whatever you are comfortable with. At the moment, the PS2 has more games; and developers will continue to produce more for it into the near future. However, that will change as more developers begin producing games for the XBox and the Game Cube. Sure, Microsoft may be losing money to the tune of $750 million dollars. Thats equivalent to Bill Gates pocket lint or the change between the cushions of his sofa
biggrin.gif
. The real issue, to me, is are there enough games that *you* will enjoy right now to purchase a particular console. At least if no other game came out that interested you you would not feel like you had wasted your money. Though there are those who want the latest and greatest even if there doesn't appear to be enough software to justify it - in that case buy either an XBox or a Game Cube (though I think there is plenty on either platform to justify purchasing one). Look at SACD. Alot of people held back because there wasn't enough software. But, there were those who jumped right in; even though the format had its doom-sayers. The format is still alive and kicking and now appears to gaining steam.

Sep 20, 2002 at 8:13 PM Post #44 of 56
Quote:

Originally posted by Gallaine
Well, I thought I'd add my two-cents worth. I am 34 and not only do I play video games, both PC and console, but am a console game developer to boot. My wife, yup I'm married, has no problem with my game playing as long as I don't spent more time with the console than her (and quite frankly she is alot more attractive than the console
wink.gif
). My friends and colleagues (both in the game industry and from a prior life in the defense industry) take me seriously whether or not I have a game console sitting in my livingroom because I have their respect as a software engineer and as a person.

That's the kicker, you are a game developer. You have a perfect excuse. That's exactly what I was talking about in my earlier posts. If your wife starts complaining, you can always tell her that your gaming puts the food on the table. Besides, your situation is sufficiently different. You don't have to impress your wife. The single guys have to put their best foot forward (regardless of whether the best foot is an artificial limb)

Sep 24, 2002 at 12:48 AM Post #45 of 56
I am over 50 an play computer games. Not video games. I don't like video game boxes, to limiting. A good computer can play much more sophisticated games.

My all time favorite was the Mechwarrior Series, and Mechcommander.

Now I play Mechwarrior 4: Black Knight (microsoft) ONLINE with upt to 16 players at a time. Awesome. I am in leagues and have joined a "mercenary unit", and am buddies with them.

The range from 17 year old guys to me, over 50, and from car dealer managers and students to a chief of police.

You can get Mechwarrior 4 at COMPUSA, and there is the Black Knight Expansion, which I use. Complex game based in the 30th century with a lot of books out (scifi and info) on the "Battletech Universe". Great stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back