"Folk Rock"
Mar 8, 2012 at 2:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

compoopers

500+ Head-Fier
Hi guys, let's get into it. I typically listen to music like hip hop, jazz, and classical.

My friend showed me a band called "The Avett Brothers" a couple years back and I have fallen in love. The only problem is that I don't know where to find music similar to the avett brothers. They are listed under the genre 'folk rock' but I don't know what that is and it seems kind of broad.

How can I find more like these guys?

Mar 8, 2012 at 3:45 AM Post #2 of 22
Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane Over the Sea
Ray Lamontagne - God Willin & the Creek Don't Rise
Joe Pug - Nation of Heat EP & Messenger
Langhorne Slim - Langhorne Slim
The Tallest Man on Earth - The Wild Hunt & Shallow Grave
Bonnie 'Prince' Billy - Lie Down in the Light
Bright Eyes - I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning
Low Anthem - Oh My God, Charlie Darwin
José González -  Veneer
Iron & Wine - Our Endless Numbered Days
Deer Tick - Born on Flag Day
The Decemberists - The Crane Wife & The King Is Dead
Blitzen Trapper - Furr
Fairport Convention - Leige & Leif
Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros - Up from Below

Mar 9, 2012 at 12:27 AM Post #4 of 22
From a historical perspective, you might enjoy classic folk rock bands like Fairport Convention, The Strawbs, Steeleye Span (especially the earlier records), Forest, Trees, Fotheringay, Pentangle and even Renaissance. Lindisfarne, Horslips and some middle-period Jethro Tull (esp. Songs from the Wood and Minstrel in the Gallery) also fit this description. If you use a streaming service like Spotify or MOG, most of these artists will be available to you.

The above-posted list from Radioking59 covers most of the current folk rock outfits with which I'm familiar -- I'd toss in Midlake, The Felice Brothers, Oysterband and Fleet Foxes as well.

Mar 9, 2012 at 11:35 PM Post #6 of 22
The Byrds (Jim/Roger McGuinn, David Crosby, Chris Hillman & others) and Dylan are where it all started in the mid-60's.  The Lovin' Spoonful (John Sebastian) and the Buffalo Springfield (Steve Stills, Richie Furay, Neil Young and later Jim Messina) quickly followed.

Mar 27, 2012 at 3:18 AM Post #9 of 22
mumford and sons are really good too. Check them out

Mar 28, 2012 at 1:09 AM Post #10 of 22

Quote:
I love 16 Horsepower a lot, which later evolved into Woven Hand, still classified as Folk Rock but more on experimental side.
David Eugene Edwards is a genius.

If you like 16hp, you should check out some of the other Denver "gothic country" type bands.  Slim Cesna's Auto Club, Munley, Tarantella, and the Denver Gentlemen.  There's more but those pop to mind quickly.

If you've never seen David Eugene Edwards live, I highly recomend it.  I saw him in Ft. Collins, Colorado about 20 years ago and this guy was heckling him from the back of the bar, saying he wanted his money back.  So he stops the band and digs into his pocket.  He pulled out a few bucks and said if you want your money back, come on up to the stage and get it.  He's kind of a creepy guy so this was super cool to watch.  Needless to say, the heckler didn't go get his money.

Paul 

Mar 28, 2012 at 1:34 AM Post #11 of 22
Thanks for recommending Paul, I'll check other Denver gothic country bands.
I doubt if 16HP ever came to Down Under. I have both of their live DVDs but live is definitely much better.
I'm also quite into some US "Freak Folk" stuff - Big Blood from Maine, Spires That in the Sunset Rise from Chicago, etc.

Mar 28, 2012 at 1:50 AM Post #12 of 22

Quote:
I love 16 Horsepower a lot, which later evolved into Woven Hand, still classified as Folk Rock but more on experimental side.
David Eugene Edwards is a genius.

X3 ABSOLUTELY!  I would warn that Woven Hand is a whole lot darker and, indeed, unconventional (well, not that 16 Horsepower is "conventional").  Great stuff and would top my recommendations in the genre - though entirely unique in what they do.  One of their more approachable albums to start out with is appropriately titled, Folklore (also happens to be one of my personal favorites). 

Great list also by RadioKing59 too.  Hmm, what can I add....this is right up my alley.  Not much in the way of female vocals yet:

Sarah Jaffe, Suburban Nature
Laura Veirs, (anything by her)
Lou Rhodes (solo efforts outside of Lamb)
Chris Pureka
Martha Tilston
Emily Barker
Josh Ritter, Hello Starling
Smog (Bill Callahan)
Josh T. Pearson
Mason Jennings
Cowboy Junkies
The Low Anthem
Sufjan Stevens
Mark Kozelek  / Sun Kil Moon
The Mountain Goats, All Eternals Deck
Devotchka
Beirut
Ryan Adams latest - Ashes and Fire
Jeffrey Focault
William Fitzsimmons
Vic Chestnut
The Civil Wars, Barton Hollow

Mar 28, 2012 at 3:20 PM Post #13 of 22
A bit of a caveat, to some of mine and others recommendations here - some have much stronger leanings towards "folk" than "rock" so are on the softer side.  I guess you could thrown "alt folk" at them.  In that category, for instance, I'd put bands like Iron & Wine, Smog, and several of the individual vocalist artists mentioned.  Many are just paving new ground altogether with folk infleunces, but I wouldn't really describe their music as folk, per se.  It's all good...

Mar 29, 2012 at 11:17 AM Post #14 of 22
Bon Iver, Angus and Julia Stone, The Swell Season, Kevin Devine, Orenda Fink, and Right Away, Great Captain. 
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back