Beirut
M Ward
Peter and the Wolf
Iron and Wine

I think most of these guys have myspace

enjoy.

Jan 4, 2008 at 2:44 PM Post #17 of 30
51y1W0uXTRL._AA240_.jpg
Sparse and compelling. Roots folk music from a former member of "The Band".

Jan 5, 2008 at 12:58 AM Post #19 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmdevils /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another very sincere singer, who I always recomend in these threads is Townes Van Zandt. And I recomend him because he is the best singer songwriter of all time, and doesnt get nearly enough attention, though he has died so its a bit too late... It is REAL country music.

Although he is my favorite songwriter, he has an awful voice (IMO, of course). You need to have some sort of relative pitch and vocal ability for me to want to hear you.

Quote:

Most people dont actually know what country music is.

I hear a lot of people say that and usually they're the ones that discount a whole lot of music from under the umbrella of country music for no reason. It's fine if someone wants to only listen to extra-raw alt. country but usually those kind of people want to say that everything else called country sucks and isn't worth listening to. There was so much great music from the "prime country" era (80's-early 90's) that won't get any recognition until twenty years from now, but I guess that's just how it works.

BTW, this is in no way directed at you 'rhythmdevils' I'm just ranting about the way I've seen a lot of people talk about country music.

Jan 5, 2008 at 7:27 AM Post #21 of 30
This calls for the Anthology Of American Folk Music!

Released in 1952, put together by that Harry something guy, don't miss his liner notes on it! Anyway it was wildly influential when it was released, features a lot of really genuine stuff, old stuff, like Blind Lemon Jefferson etc. You may also wanna look into old blues artists, stuff like Robert Johnson, Sonny Terry & Brownie McGhee, 'delta blues' I think they call it.

But the Anthology first! There's 3 double-disc volumes of it, plus a secret 4th volume I believe.

Jan 5, 2008 at 7:32 AM Post #22 of 30
norman blake is great...he likes to play "oldtime" his versions of the music that lead to bluegrass. a bit of blues, a bit of fiddle tunes on guitar and mando etc.
norman as a young man on you tube YouTube - Norman Blake - Nashville Blues

his recordings are much better...he plays with a beautiful warm guitar tone and voice

Jan 6, 2008 at 3:56 AM Post #24 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by glenmorangie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
norman blake is great...he likes to play "oldtime" his versions of the music that lead to bluegrass. a bit of blues, a bit of fiddle tunes on guitar and mando etc.
norman as a young man on you tube YouTube - Norman Blake - Nashville Blues

his recordings are much better...he plays with a beautiful warm guitar tone and voice

x2 Norman Blake is amazing.

EDIT
In that breath so is John Hartford, Vassar Clements and almost everyone who was on the 'Flying Fish' record label at one time.

Jan 9, 2008 at 3:46 PM Post #27 of 30
Mention of Nick Drake shows how different folk is to a UK listener and a US one. Drake, like many British singer-songwriters, only seems to have been labelled "folk" because he played an acoustic guitar. Americans seem to mean by "folk" what I would term Americana: e.g. American Beauty or Music from Big Pink.

If you want to hear English roots music, I'd recommend Fairport Convention's Liege & Lief or The Lark in the Morning by Steeleye Span. For US roots music, The Anthology of American Folk Music (or pretty much any of the Simthsonian Folkways compilations) is a reliable source.

Jan 11, 2008 at 12:45 AM Post #28 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by hanalei mike /img/forum/go_quote.gif
based on listening to Birdie Busch

I would recommend:
chicks:

Joanna Newsom
Katie Dill
Ohbijou
Whispertown 2000
Cat Power
Essie Jain
Beachwood sparks
Thao Nguyen
Orillia opry
Basia Bulat

Guys:
Devendra Banhart
will oldham
Songs Ohia
Andrew Bird
Hayden
Phosphorescent
Beirut
M Ward
Peter and the Wolf
Iron and Wine

I think most of these guys have myspace

enjoy.

HOLY CRAP I like EVERY artist on this list! Very Nice

Other favorites include The Be Good Tanyas and Norman Blake

Thanks alot everyone- my musical horizons have expanded once more

Jan 11, 2008 at 4:52 PM Post #30 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheProdigy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wow- thanks again for all the recommendations, everyone!

I will definitely take the time to listen to all of them over the next week and post my favorites!

Keep them coming
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm sure somebody has already mentioned early Dylan. I also advise getting into the roots of music. For American folk, you have to survey Woody Guthrie, and then maybe Pete Seeger. Although many would consider him blues, I think Robert Johson cuts acoss/defies genres.

From England, there is Bert Jansch, and Roy Harper (more folk-rock, I suppose). Also, there is Vashti Bunyan.

Finally, in terms of more instrumental music, you have to check out John Fahey (basically the whole acid-folk revival scene is based on his guitar work).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back