Folding travel cans....opinions and options please !
Mar 5, 2010 at 3:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

thoppa

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

My Sennheiser PX200 died the other day and now I'm looking to either replace them or, if I can, upgrade to something better. So I wonder what my options are ? I've only seen AKG do similar things - K450 look tasty. Does anybody have them ? How about the K480NC ?

There's also the Sennheiser PXC310 - are they better than PX200 in any real way ?

I liked the PX200 sound quality and the closed back is good for the stranger in the seat next to me, but they weren't all that comfy and the sound depended too much on their position on my ears. Minor criticisms. The foam cover on the headband wore out and started shedding bits of plastic on me and that was the worst thing about them really.

I will use them with a Mini3, a Headphonia usb dac cable and a netbook with the Ploytech asio usb driver, and I don't care about noise cancelling. I don't have any budget in mind and I already have HF5 and HD650 so that's why I'm looking for travel cans.

Thanks for your help !

Tom

Mar 5, 2010 at 5:18 AM Post #2 of 5
You can consider the AT ATH ANC7. Comes with a nice travel bag, airline audio jack adaptor, and it sounds good. Don't worry about the noise cancelling bit, it does not cancel out the music.

Mar 5, 2010 at 5:52 AM Post #3 of 5
I used a pair of ultrasone hfi 780's. They fold flat or up into a ball. They are pretty up front can, and kind of a love it or hate it sound. I did a bunch of diy work on mine and they ended up sounding great to me. I documented most of the work here on headfi in a few threads. Search if you are interested.

Mar 5, 2010 at 6:50 AM Post #4 of 5
Hi guys,

Thanks for your help ! Much appreciated. Both look much better than PX200. I'll try to test them but I think I'm leaning towards the higher impedance AT.

Thanks again !

Tom

Mar 30, 2010 at 11:12 AM Post #5 of 5
Hi,

I've just seen that Sennheiser have a new model - PXC250-II. I emailed them and they said it's gonna be released in April. Are they available anywhere else yet ? Anyone tried them ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back