Folding@Home
Sep 16, 2008 at 8:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey all,

I just started doing this on my work PC (why not-- it's got HyperThreading and nothing I do is CPU intensive) and it's pretty cool so far. I didn't realize how long one task takes! My current (and first) task will apparently take until Oct 2nd to process (!)

Anyway I was just wondering who else does this, and wanted to get any feedback or comments you deem necessary regarding F@H.

Cheers
smile_phones.gif

Sep 16, 2008 at 9:10 PM Post #2 of 34
I leave the PS3 on overnight doing Folding@home.
No idea what it does or who it benefits though.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 16, 2008 at 10:27 PM Post #4 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by IceClass /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I leave the PS3 on overnight doing Folding@home.
No idea what it does or who it benefits though.
smily_headphones1.gif

Lol. It says what it's for on their website
wink.gif

Sep 17, 2008 at 5:41 AM Post #6 of 34
I've been doing distributed computing for over 10 years now, started with SETI for a few years. I'm doing folding@home now, my family has had some run-ins with cancer and so now it's personal!
angry_face.gif

Check out this dude's GPU folding farm! Linkage

These clients are even less intrusive with the multi-core CPUs available now, everyone should consider taking part.

Sep 17, 2008 at 11:05 AM Post #7 of 34
I don't understand what this is?

Sep 17, 2008 at 6:34 PM Post #8 of 34
Gpu folding is where it's at.

I use my 8800gt and get about 4700ppd's, infinitely more powerful compared to cpu folding.
I complete a work unit in 2h 20min compared to like 48h on my previous cpu.

Sep 17, 2008 at 6:47 PM Post #9 of 34
Disclosure: I work in the field of computational biology and protein folding

Folding@home is a framework for distributed computing, started and maintained by Vijay Pande at Stanford. There are several similar distributed computing projects like Rosetta@home and Seti@home ...they all exist because the researchers have a need to do computationally expensive calculations.

There are two ways to process computationally demanding jobs: 1) use a single super-computer that has many CPU's and memory structures in parallel, 2) use many individual CPU's, and distribute the work load accordingly. Some jobs are easily parallelizable...that is, it is easy to cut the one big job up into many useful smaller parts, and then recombine the results at the end. Other jobs are not easily parallelizable...usually because the job is such that results from one calculation depend on the state of another calculation (ie, the calculation is highly coupled).

The goal of Folding@home and Rosetta@home is to test methods for folding proteins, computationally. The protein folding problem is one of the major challenges in biology and chemistry today; these folks are trying to develop methods to predict the 3D structure of proteins, given a 1D sequence of amino acids. It is a hard problem that can be broken down into 2 challenges: search and scoring. The second challenge is mostly addressed by the really bright researchers working in groups such as Pande's and Baker's (and many more, this is a huge worldwide effort). The first problem has (so far) been tackled most successfully by using super-computers such as the Blue Gene and distributed schemes such as Rosetta@home.

Thus, using your spare CPU cycles, Vijay Pande et al. are leveraging many small increments of CPU power to have a parallel super-computer of sorts. "Donating" your CPU cycles therefore enables the problem of protein folding to be tackled by some of the brightest in the field. Thanks!

Also, I find it interesting that PS3's (Playstation 3's) account for ~90% of the processing units on the Folding@home network now. Yay, Cell processors!

Sep 17, 2008 at 8:36 PM Post #10 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Omega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, I find it interesting that PS3's (Playstation 3's) account for ~90% of the processing units on the Folding@home network now. Yay, Cell processors!

RLY? That's crazy! I'm not sure how that happened, since this has been around for years and I would assume there's many many more PC's in the world then there are PS3's. Then again, maybe it's a powerful statement about a turning tide in the apathy of our youth. Or it could mean nothing at all and just be a surprising and perplexing statistic.
biggrin.gif

Cheers,

Quote:

Originally Posted by floydenheimer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been doing distributed computing for over 10 years now,

eek.gif
Thank you for your contributions, sir! :nod: I only just started this recently. I had dabbled with SETI in the past, but not seriously.

Quote:

my family has had some run-ins with cancer and so now it's personal!
angry_face.gif

I am sorry for your loss. My eldest uncle has lost all bladder and bowel control due to a botched removal of prostate cancer tumor(s). I know it's not as bad as terminal cancer, but it's absolutely a permanent and crushingly life-changing event
frown.gif

Quote:

These clients are even less intrusive with the multi-core CPUs available now, everyone should consider taking part.

Exactly!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foshizzle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Gpu folding is where it's at. I use my 8800gt and get about 4700ppd's

Ummmm.. what? <queue the sound of this statement flying over Sduibek's head>

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dzjudz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't understand what this is?

Read this: http://folding.stanford.edu/
Did/does that help?

Sep 17, 2008 at 11:04 PM Post #12 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sduibek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am sorry for your loss. My eldest uncle has lost all bladder and bowel control due to a botched removal of prostate cancer tumor(s). I know it's not as bad as terminal cancer, but it's absolutely a permanent and crushingly life-changing event
frown.gif

Thanks for the concern, but there has been no losses to cancer yet. Just close calls, my mom and grandmother are/were survivors... heart disease claimed my grandma though. My uncle beat some long odds too. Mom has been in the clear for around 10 years now. My sister is probably a ticking time bomb if you go by past history. Crunch them numbers, we need a cure!

GPU folding is the same as CPU folding but it uses your video card instead. GPUs are much more powerful than CPUs now and if you have a modern GPU with a cell processor, you can use it to do neat things outside of just graphics.

Sep 17, 2008 at 11:47 PM Post #13 of 34
Been on a bit of an extended hiatus myself (only have a client running on my dad's pc currently), but I hope to get my quad-core smp rig plus 2 GPU clients back into the mix. It's definitely a worthy cause IMO, if you can spare the cpu time.

Sep 18, 2008 at 2:46 PM Post #15 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sduibek /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Ummmm.. what? <queue the sound of this statement flying over Sduibek's head>

I meant that using Nvidia and ATI GPU's (Graphics processing unit) instead of the cpu is extremely more effective.

I use my Nvidia 8800gt graphics card for folding...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back