Folding@Home
Sep 19, 2008 at 4:19 AM Post #16 of 34
My R4850 is folding basically 24x7... but the client still isn't optimized for the 800 stream processors (as opposed to 320 on the last gen). Therefore, I "only" get ~2800 ppd- still massively more than what my OC'd Core 2 Quad can do.

Sep 19, 2008 at 5:35 AM Post #18 of 34
ii used to fold with my 3870 but i haven't done it in a while because of instability i had. It never hurts to give it another shot.

Sep 20, 2008 at 5:10 PM Post #19 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Foshizzle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I meant that using Nvidia and ATI GPU's (Graphics processing unit) instead of the cpu is extremely more effective. I use my Nvidia 8800gt graphics card for folding...

How does one setup F@H to use the GPU instead? Can you have it use both the CPU and GPU on the same PC?

Quote:

Originally Posted by MCC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My R4850 is folding basically 24x7... but the client still isn't optimized for the 800 stream processors (as opposed to 320 on the last gen). Therefore, I "only" get ~2800 ppd- still massively more than what my OC'd Core 2 Quad can do.

How do I figure out my PPD?

Quote:

Originally Posted by terrymx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use this and Boinc at the same time.

I have been absolutely totally and completely unsuccesful at getting BOINC to work on these PCs. I am running through a Proxy here, but entering Proxy settings for BOINC counts for nil. I am trying to configure it for Rosetta@Home. Any ideas?

Sep 20, 2008 at 6:39 PM Post #20 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sduibek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How does one setup F@H to use the GPU instead? Can you have it use both the CPU and GPU on the same PC?

Here's the page with the GPU clients. Linky

Sep 21, 2008 at 5:36 AM Post #21 of 34
Quote:

How do I figure out my PPD?

I use FahMon- it gives a PPD estimate and some other stats.

Sep 21, 2008 at 6:03 PM Post #22 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by MCC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use FahMon

What? Queue the sounds of things whooshing over my head again.

* BTW, what does PPD even stand for? Processes/Projects Per Day?

* Every time I try to view my User Statistics for F@H, I get this:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Folding@Home website
Stats update in progress
External access to the Folding@home stats server is currently not available in order to expedite the stats input process. We expect this to take about 45 minutes.

Third party stats systems work independently of this database and can be queried at this time. See this FAH Wiki page for a list of third party stats systems.

For more information
For more information, please see http://folding.typepad.com/ for news and more details or check out our forum at http://foldingforum.org.

Been getting that error for days now. Any ideas?

* Lastly, I just completed my first project/unit/whatever. Yay me!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
However, in the Queue info it says "Failed Uploads = 1"... does that mean it didn't get uploaded at all, or just means it failed once and was successful on try #2?

Thanks for answering all my n00b questions. Education for the win!
--Sdu/DK

Sep 21, 2008 at 6:32 PM Post #23 of 34
Quote:

What? Queue the sounds of things whooshing over my head again.

* BTW, what does PPD even stand for? Processes/Projects Per Day?

* Every time I try to view my User Statistics for F@H, I get this:

Been getting that error for days now. Any ideas?

* Lastly, I just completed my first project/unit/whatever. Yay me!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
However, in the Queue info it says "Failed Uploads = 1"... does that mean it didn't get uploaded at all, or just means it failed once and was successful on try #2?

Thanks for answering all my n00b questions. Education for the win!
--Sdu/DK

Home | FahMon

It's a small program that you can run alongside folding@home and it shows you your progress in % and how much PPD's you're achieving (I haven't found out what PPD actually stands for either). I recommend Fahmon though because it gives you an easily understandable oversight of your progress.

As for you getting that error, it's exactly what it says it is, the data base is being updated. If you try again like 30 mins later it should work, you probably just had poor timing.

As for your second question about the failed upload I can't say. It usually keeps on trying until it succeeds in uploading. I would think that it wouldn't start another work unit until the previous one has been successfully uploaded but I could be wrong.

Sep 22, 2008 at 7:33 PM Post #24 of 34
Quote:

Home | FahMon [snip]

I can't get this to work. Could it be because i'm behind a Proxy here? I don't see any Connection Settings or Proxy Settings section on this app.

Quote:

As for you getting that error, it's exactly what it says it is, the data base is being updated. If you try again like 30 mins later it should work, you probably just had poor timing.

I've gotten it every time I check, for about a week now. Could it be because i'm behind a Proxy here?

Quote:

As for your second question about the failed upload I can't say. It usually keeps on trying until it succeeds in uploading. I would think that it wouldn't start another work unit until the previous one has been successfully uploaded [snip]

I sincerely hope so!

Sep 22, 2008 at 8:38 PM Post #25 of 34
I couldn't get FahMon to work at first either but you just have to point out the correct location of your client and it should read something like c:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Folding@home-gpu\

assuming you are running xp or Vista...

Sep 28, 2008 at 4:08 PM Post #26 of 34
[update]
Okay, it looks like I am/was able to use the proxy settings within FahMon successfully for this location. Yay! However, when trying to Download New Projects, I get the following error:

! Line 67 is not correctly formatted! <tr bgcolor="#dfdfdf"> <td>2489</td><td> 171.65.103.160 </td><td>p2489_system</td><td>97138</td><td> 30.00</td><td> 82.00</td><td> 500.00</td><td>0.2</td><td>gromacs</td><td><a href=http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/fahproject?p=2489>description</a></td><td><font size=-1>ppetrone</font></td></tr>

I have Folding@Home currently open and processing a project. Is that a problem?
[/update]

Sep 30, 2008 at 8:44 PM Post #27 of 34
Does anyone have any idea what sort of bandwidth folding@home uses up?
I just got an extra $100 charge on my internet bill for throughput over the minimum allowed.

Is folding@home a bit of a bandwidth hog?

Oct 1, 2008 at 2:06 AM Post #28 of 34
F@H uses bandwidth to download projects, and again to send the results afterward. I'm not sure if there are any periodic checks that it performs during a project run, though it should not amount to a huge bandwidth amount if there is.

Oct 12, 2008 at 4:21 PM Post #30 of 34
...and to answer the question above, I do not see any bandwidth usage whilst running F@H. It uses bandwidth when downloading and uploading projects. If you wish, I can track this usage to give you a rough estimate of what it uses?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back