Foldable Headphones Recommendations
Aug 17, 2012 at 4:32 PM Post #16 of 28
Quote:
I heard the B&W P3 the other day, design and build quality is great, but the sound way too dark, what are they thinking? If I remove the pads the sound improves and treble returns, but that's not a good solution. The P5 sound much better, but they are too expensive and not foldable.

Two things here.  The first is headphone placement.  This actually causes a minor change in various areas of the spectrum.  It can help clarity a bit as well as the veil.  The other thing is burn in.  These headphones do burn in and with time, the bass settles down a bit and clarity comes in better. 

Aug 19, 2012 at 10:30 AM Post #18 of 28
I did try that, didn't help, I'm quite sure they weren's burned in, but I don't believe that much would change, the treble was really low on the P3.
Quote:

Two things here.  The first is headphone placement.  This actually causes a minor change in various areas of the spectrum.  It can help clarity a bit as well as the veil.  The other thing is burn in.  These headphones do burn in and with time, the bass settles down a bit and clarity comes in better. 

Aug 19, 2012 at 10:42 AM Post #19 of 28
My experience with the V6's has been very mixed. On one hand, they do sound nice and very detailed. Amazing bass. But they also tend to fatigue my ears after a while. I can't really use them for music listening that much. I keep them on hand just for when I want movies on Netflix, though, as they are excellent movie cans.

Aug 19, 2012 at 11:43 AM Post #20 of 28
Aug 21, 2012 at 1:13 PM Post #22 of 28
Ok, I listened to about 20 different headphones today (not all of them foldable), my reference are my Denon AH-D2000, so you know the sound I'm looking for.

The best for me were:

Sony MDR-7506, very comfortable, nice sound, but the treble is a little to much for me, and I miss some bass.

Audio-Technica ATH-M50, really nice sound, nothing I can complain about, but they were too heavy and warm to wear even just after 5 minutes.

Aiaiai TMA-1, unknown brand to me, but comfortable and nice sound, just a little too dark for me, reminds me of the B&W P3, the treble is so restricted that details get lost, other than that, nothing to complain about.

I also listened to Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro 80 Ohm, very comfortable, really nice sound, but the bass is lacking, and they are little too large for what I'm looking for.

The big suprise were the cheap and very fragile (so, they seems) Koss Porta Pro, I couldn't believe how big they sounded compared to how they look, unfortunately they are open and leak way too much sound, so I can't use them, but soundwise very close to what I'm looking for.

I'm trying to get to listen to the new Sony MDR-ZX700, I have a feeling that they could be perfect to my needs (except they are not foldable).

God, it's hard to choice, why can't I just live with the headphones that came with my iPod? Ha, ha...

Aug 21, 2012 at 8:18 PM Post #23 of 28
Quote:
God, it's hard to choice, why can't I just live with the headphones that came with my iPod? Ha, ha...

As a species, we humans are sensitive to many factors.  There are temperature ranges that we have to live within.  We need a plentiful supply of water.  And being relatively hairless, we need shelter from the climate.  And yes, for some of us, avoiding craptastic sound is essential to survival.  Chalk it up to The Human Condition I guess...

Aug 21, 2012 at 8:48 PM Post #24 of 28
Aug 24, 2012 at 9:44 AM Post #26 of 28
I heard the Incase Reflex today, very nice sound and very comfortable, but they are not very efficient compared to others, is there a way boost the output withou spending too much?

Sep 15, 2012 at 4:15 PM Post #27 of 28
Quote:
Ok, thanks, Seenheiser HD 229 is on the list to review.

Quote:
I heard the Incase Reflex today, very nice sound and very comfortable, but they are not very efficient compared to others, is there a way boost the output withou spending too much?

Both of these phones will be in my upcoming roundup review. The Reflex is a little bit harder to drive but I haven't found that I needed more output than I am getting from my Nano 4G or Sansa Clip, although I do need to crank them near max. volume.

The best cheapo portable amp to help with this is the FiiO E6. It's more than worth the $25 price. But beware of fakes (there is a thread on that here) and don't expect it to sound as good or be as versatile as a $100+ amp.

The Senn HD229 is a better sounding headphone with more of a hi-fi sound signature. It has very nice mids, tight but not overblown bass and highs that go very far (this model does not have the usual darkish Senn sound). It is also very comfortable. The only downside is that it has a rather thin and flimsy cable.

The Incase Reflex, however, is still a very nice sounding headphone and considering it can be had for about $32 on Amazon, it's a steal. The HD229 is more likely to be around $50 (discounted) and has most of the qualities of the more expensive HD239 except for the better soundstage (HD239 is open).

Both are very nice phones.

Sep 24, 2012 at 3:25 AM Post #28 of 28
I finally got to hear Focal Spirit One with a dedicated amp, and I was impressed, nice fit, good isolation and great sound, good deep bass, a little on the warm side, but overall, really good. Definately among the best foldable heaphones I've heard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back