Foie Gras
Apr 26, 2005 at 11:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

fr4c

Headphoneus Supremus
According to Newsweek, California has outlawed (effective 2012) the sale of the pricey delicacy "Foie Gras", produced by force-feeding ducks to enlarge their livers.

The swollen liver of a deliberately overfed goose or duck is seared and doused with wine or baked with truffles. This dish goes about $20 a plate and is considered to be the Holy Grail of appetizers.

Yum?

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/7613524/site/newsweek/

Apr 26, 2005 at 11:28 PM Post #2 of 26
I love Foie Gras. Definitely one of my favorite foods.

I remeber hearing about California passing this law starting in 2012 a while ago. Oh well. I think I'll get over it, but we'll see.

Apr 26, 2005 at 11:35 PM Post #3 of 26
Prefer my ducks still wadling and quacking
mad.gif

Apr 27, 2005 at 1:59 AM Post #5 of 26
I do enjoy this appetizer.
This reminds me of the episode of South Park where they try to free all the baby cows that are being tied down to make tender veals
biggrin.gif

Apr 27, 2005 at 2:25 AM Post #6 of 26
Yeah, Pate' de Foie Gras with truffle sauce--heavenly. Its a good law. Now they should go ahead and do something about Hollywood and their abused horses.

They should also outlaw gurlie-maan magician abuse in Vegas.

Apr 27, 2005 at 3:22 AM Post #8 of 26
poor californians
frown.gif

i love my foie gras, fresh i find hard to get good quality down under where i am, but when i do get it im in heaven!

i had a massive stock of foie gras pate with truffles for a long time, but ive finally running out, and my (free) source is no longer carrying it
frown.gif

i could eat it all day every day for the rest of my life. truffles + foie gras + godiva reserve + beluga caviar + 82 petrus/85 clos de mensil = ultimate meal
biggrin.gif

Apr 27, 2005 at 4:02 AM Post #10 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by fr4c
According to Newsweek, California has outlawed (effective 2012) the sale of the pricey delicacy "Foie Gras", produced by force-feeding ducks to enlarge their livers.

The swollen liver of a deliberately overfed goose or duck is seared and doused with wine or baked with truffles. This dish goes about $20 a plate and is considered to be the Holy Grail of appetizers.

Yum?

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/7613524/site/newsweek/

Head-Fi'ers --

Foie gras is my favorite appetizer by far -- if a restaurant serves it, I order it.
I like my foie gras served in cross-section with stale bread and a rich truffle sauce.

Well, at least the outlawing (banning?) is effective in the year 2012.
Sadly, the price of foie gras in the USA is going to increase until then.

Wait... They will be banning the sale of it? What about it's consumption?
I mean, what if I buy a duck/goose and I priceed to harvest foie gras?

LONG LIVE THE RESISTANCE! Who wants to harvest the stuff illegally with me?
very_evil_smiley.gif

BANGPORK

Apr 27, 2005 at 7:21 AM Post #12 of 26
Mmmmm... suffering... tasty!

smily_headphones1.gif

This is one of those laws that will be repealed in 2010... It isn't meant to ever go into effect, but is a symbolic statement. Don't know the back story but it was probably an extremely minor part of some funky vote trade in Sacramento...

Glad to see they're spending their time wisely down there. I guess Arnie really cracks the whip on those guys.

Apr 27, 2005 at 7:46 AM Post #13 of 26
I've been wanting to try foie gras for the last 5 years but could never find a place in So. Cal that served it. Any suggestions? And what is the appetizer called, exactly. With the truffles and all.

Apr 27, 2005 at 7:50 AM Post #14 of 26
Like a lot of tasty foods, I'll eat if it as long as I don't know how distasteful the process of making it is.

I'm not going to read fast food nation or watch one of those cattle slaughter videos either. I love my meat, heh.

Apr 27, 2005 at 8:58 AM Post #15 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by sygyzy
I've been wanting to try foie gras for the last 5 years but could never find a place in So. Cal that served it. Any suggestions? And what is the appetizer called, exactly. With the truffles and all.

Parkway Grille in Pasadena comes to mind. I'm sure I've had it plenty of other places in and around LA though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back