Focal Utopia vs LCD4
Jun 18, 2020 at 4:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

mitchb

1000+ Head-Fier
I own and love the LCD4 but have just purchased sight unheard a pair of Focal Utopia phones. I love my LCD4 but am seeking change for change sake. What do people think of the Utopia or more to the point what can I expect?

Jun 18, 2020 at 5:00 PM Post #2 of 32
Jun 19, 2020 at 9:59 AM Post #3 of 32
I own and love the LCD4 but have just purchased sight unheard a pair of Focal Utopia phones. I love my LCD4 but am seeking change for change sake. What do people think of the Utopia or more to the point what can I expect?

if you want something different, you can expect a nice decision

Jun 19, 2020 at 10:29 AM Post #5 of 32
Haven't heard the LCD4. The Utopias are really nice though. Very punchy and lively and a more forward sound. I really like them.

Jun 19, 2020 at 10:57 AM Post #6 of 32
Thanks. I think My research indicates I am getting nice phones.
I think you'll find the Utopia to be a nice complement to your LCD 4.

I see that you have Hales T5 speakers, that's a blast from the past. They look similiar to a speaker that I used to own, the Thiel CS6. The CS6 was a little bit bigger and heavier, at 175lbs each. I know with 1st order crossovers they require a hefty amp which you have covered with your Pass amp. I used a 400w/Ch Classe CA400 back then. How do the Hales sound and how well have they held up? I sold my CS6 about 10 years ago and now I have the big Harbeth M40.1. Sorry to be OT.

Jun 19, 2020 at 11:11 AM Post #7 of 32
The Hales are still going strong without problems for over 20 years now. My T5’s are a little different as I upgraded the tweetera to Seas Millennium and I had the crossovers rebuilt with much better parts.
For the excercise of the mods I have a much better sounding speakers than they were stock. I never regretted the mods and the speakers are still going strong.

Jun 19, 2020 at 11:23 AM Post #8 of 32
The Hales are still going strong without problems for over 20 years now. My T5’s are a little different as I upgraded the tweetera to Seas Millennium and I had the crossovers rebuilt with much better parts.
For the excercise of the mods I have a much better sounding speakers than they were stock. I never regretted the mods and the speakers are still going strong.
Great to hear! It's too bad a lot of great speaker companies from that time period are no longer in business like Hales, Thiel, and Dunlavy to name a just a few.

Jun 19, 2020 at 11:27 AM Post #9 of 32
I think you'll find the Utopia to be a nice complement to your LCD 4.

I see that you have Hales T5 speakers, that's a blast from the past. They look similiar to a speaker that I used to own, the Thiel CS6. The CS6 was a little bit bigger and heavier, at 175lbs each. I know with 1st order crossovers they require a hefty amp which you have covered with your Pass amp. I used a 400w/Ch Classe CA400 back then. How do the Hales sound and how well have they held up? I sold my CS6 about 10 years ago and now I have the big Harbeth M40.1. Sorry to be OT.

OT: Thiel CS6 was/is excellent and if you drive them with something like the VAC Signature no speakers I’ve heard at their price-level come close.

Jun 19, 2020 at 11:33 AM Post #10 of 32
OT: Thiel CS6 was/is excellent and if you drive them with something like the VAC Signature no speakers I’ve heard at their price-level come close.
I agree, it was Jim Thiel's baby. Even though he came out with the larger CS7.2, I was told he had the CS6 in his home and it was his favorite. After he passed away, the company was bought out and it went down hill from there. Jim Thiel was a great speaker designer.

Jun 25, 2020 at 10:33 AM Post #15 of 32
The Utopia make for a good compliment to the LCD4. I’m loving the sound of the Utopia already with maybe 4 or 5 hours play on them .
Curious to hear your impressions with both the Utopia's and LCD4's on hand. Been looking at the LCD4 recently to complement my Utopia as I've read that they have different sound signatures.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back