Focal Stellia Loaner Program @TTVJAudio.com
Mar 21, 2019 at 2:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

Todd

Headphone Vinyl Meister
Member of the Trade: TTVJ Audio
Hi All,

We have been playing with the Stellia for a couple weeks now and think it is an outstanding closed headphone and are offering a loaner program for it. Please consider buying it from us if you want to participate in this program. And please follow the rules - 1 week to audition and then it gets sent to the next person. Write your review in this thread and all will be good! I look forward to hearing from those interested!

focalStellia1.jpg

The official rules and how to sign up...

Loaner Program Rules:

Send your name and address, telephone number and your Head-Fi user name to me (Todd) at todd@ttvjaudio.com. Do NOT PM me as you will not be included in the program without an email.

You will get the loaner for 1 week to use in your home with your system. After your one week is up, you must send it to the next loaner participant. Email me (todd@ttvjaudio.com) the tracking info so I can pass it on to the recipient.

You MUST write a review and post it in this loaner thread. It must be posted in the same thread as this announcement for the loaner program. Please post the review here first and feel free to post it somewhere else if you like!

Once you have received the loaner, email me to let me know you have it and I will send the address for the next person.

Our loaner programs are USA only. We are restricted from shipping/selling outside the USA on most products.

Enjoy the program!

Todd

Mar 22, 2019 at 4:04 PM Post #2 of 29
Here is the list of loaner participants. The loaner program is now closed to any more participants. Enjoy. They should arrive to Buffer within 10 days.

Stellia Loaner participants

1. Buffer

2. Love To Listen

3. Miru

4. PeteSTRADAMUS

5. Monsterzero

6. Wazzupi

7. desiguy79

8. Will

9. mk351e

10. Halimj7

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2019 at 12:56 PM Post #4 of 29
Hi All,

I have updated the loaner participants list. Please - no more sign ups! I will have to say no and I hate doing that!!!

Chorak290 got a jump on the loaner program by coming to my shop and listening to them this weekend. They are shipping out this week to Buffer. Have fun!!!

Todd

Mar 27, 2019 at 10:31 AM Post #5 of 29
A huge thank you to Todd (Todd the Vinyl Junky; @TTVJ) for running this loaner program. He is truly providing an awesome service to the Head-Fi community by loaning out these incredible products for people to try out and review.

When I spoke to Todd on Friday afternoon about wanting to participate in the Stellia loaner program he mentioned he wasn’t going to send out the Stellias on their tour until the following Monday and since I live in the next town over, Todd he gave me the option to borrow them for the weekend. The following review is based on that weekend of listening time which included probably 10-15hours of listening time with the Stellias.

The Stellias come packaged extremely well. They come in a large very robust box that seems to be coated in leather. I’m not sure if it is real leather, but I would guess it’s not. The cable box and leather wallet that the manual comes in is also very impressive. I would not be surprised if some of the premium cost of this headphone comes from the packaging. I’m not complaining though, when you purchase an ultra-premium product like the Stellia, the unboxing experience should be luxury as well.

upload_2019-3-27_8-23-21.jpeg

upload_2019-3-27_8-24-17.jpeg

upload_2019-3-27_8-25-18.jpeg

upload_2019-3-27_8-25-48.jpeg

When you remove the Stellias from their copper colored, molded zipper case, you find that the headphone is even more luxurious than the packaging it came in. They smell of leather and it’s obvious that the leather used on the headphones is real and quite premium. The cables also feel very nice in my opinion. Some will not like the stiffness of the cables, but I don’t mind the stiffness since they have little memory and the fabric coating on them does not produce any microphonics, something I can’t say about my beloved Mr. Speakers DUMMER cable. Like reports from the Elegia, the Stellia also has poor isolation from the environment.

upload_2019-3-27_8-26-19.jpeg

upload_2019-3-27_8-26-40.jpeg

upload_2019-3-27_8-26-53.jpeg

I have the Mr. Speakers AEON Flow closed headphones to compare the Stellias to during the time of this review and I will also make some comparisons to the Focal Clears from memory. The sound of the Stellias is extremely pleasing to me. The sound stage is much wider than my AEONs and the imaging is by far better on the Stellias. Sounds on the Stellia come from all around your head. These are probably as good as closed back headphones can be in terms of imaging and stage. The staging and imaging of these headphones provided an enclosed environment that I could sink into when I closed my eyes and really imagine where the sounds were coming from, like you were in a room instead of your head.

The bass had good extension and impact and was tight and did not bleed into the other frequencies. The mids were very present and have very good detail but not as forward/boosted as the lows and highs. The high frequencies were also very detailed and a little forward for my taste. On some recordings (The Ocean by Led Zeppelin comes to mind) cymbal hits and high guitar notes could seem a little sharp. This effect did seem to smooth out over the time I spent with the Stellias and I don’t know if the headphones burned in more over that time or if my ears just adjusted. Todd told me they had 50+ hours on them before I got them so, may just be my ears. Either way, I think I prefer the flatter frequency response of the AEONS and Clears.

All my testing took place on my portable rigs, Audioquest Dragonfly and Fiio Q5. I mostly ran Tidal Masters through an Audioquest JitterBug into my Fiio Q5. The Stellias are extremely easy to drive and did sound better when moving from the Dragonfly to the Q5. I mostly listen to fast metal and rock music, so I really appreciated the mid bass impact and speed of the Stellias. I did test the Stellias with all types of music though and would say that it handles other genres better than metal. I think the detail and elevated highs make poorly recorded metal a bit harsh. It handles blues, contemporary pop, and country music very well.

upload_2019-3-27_8-28-6.jpeg

upload_2019-3-27_8-28-17.jpeg

Apr 19, 2019 at 2:53 AM Post #6 of 29
Any updates on this tour?

Apr 21, 2019 at 4:18 PM Post #9 of 29
Had an opportunity to try the Stellia thanks to Todd. Recently, I also had an opportunity to try the Elegia, though I did not have the Elegia for more than a week and it was at least a month prior. That said, I do feel I am able to do a bit of a compare by memory. I also compared the Stellia to the Final Audio Sonorous X, so I'll offer a few words on that comparison too. Also, I did not do direct compare to the Utopia but I will offer a few words on that too. But let me get started by describing the Stellia.

From the very start, the headphone oozes luxury. Even my non-audiophile friends commented on how it felt to look at and hold. I'm not necessarily a fan of the color scheme but there is no denying how 'buttoned up' and luxurious this headphone feels. Quality and fit and finish rivals or exceeds the Utopia.

Overall sound - The Stellia is a fairly neutral sounding headphone. It has great clarity, is pretty balanced sounding and is very pleasing to my ears. I was one of the first on the loaner tour and I know Todd did burn them in, but I did get a feeling that with more time they may have room for more improvement, not that they need it.

Bass - If there was one deficit, I would say it was the bass. The bass was not bad, it was actually quite good. But, compared to other flagships, I felt it lacked a little extension and the upper midbass may have been a touch loose, but this was only slight and not typically noticeable. Certainly any missteps were infrequent and not egregious. Even by my demanding standards I thought the bass was very good and it certainly was tight enough. It was not slow or overly full and it did not interfere with the midrange. I did not necessarily feel visceral punch from the bass, but I thought it did provide a well tuned, solid foundation for the music and it certainly made for a reasonably dynamic sound.

Midrange - pretty much spot on. I wouldn't call it forward, but I would describe it as present and overall, neutral. I do not generally care for audiophile headphones that add warmth to lower midrange for a fuller sound, but I did feel that the Stellia was just shy of lower midrange. This was barely perceptible and took me awhile to reach that conclusion, but I felt it contributed to an ever so slightly less engaging experience. But certainly, I would not call the Stellia clinical or sterile... just not as engaging to me as some other headphones. This is more of a personal preference. It does nothing overtly wrong and I suspect others will find this headphone very musically engaging. I wouldn't necessarily describe the Stellia as a warm headphone, but it was not overly bright.

Ok - now is a good time to draw comparisons:
  • The Utopia may be ever so slightly more dynamic, tighter, and punchy. The Utopia tends to be bright in the upper midrange. The Stellia was more balanced and may have sounded a bit more natural than the Utopia in that regard. Also, I know some people comment on a slightly 'metallic' sound to the Utopia. Sometimes I may perceive that, but I don't sense it to the point where it ever bothered me. Yet, I suspect that the Stellia, even though it uses beryllium,, may not suffer from that effect as much.
  • The Elegia bothered me in the sense it lacked bass extension, had an unnaturally forward midrange, and lacked cohesion across the frequency spectrum. I was worried that the Stellia, being a closed headphone from Focal, would suffer from some of these same issues. I am happy to report that it does not suffer from these issues and it really sounds head and shoulders better than the Elegia. It also has better clarity than the Elegia.
  • The Sonorous X, which I know most have not heard, has a VERY large sound and a VERY vibrant and intimate sound. It made the Stellia sound recessed, small, and thin. It was more dynamic than the Stellia too. One audiophile friend preferred it to the Stellia, the other preferred the Stellia slightly. The Stellia had greater clarity and was more balanced in the upper frequencies. The Sonorous X sounded rolled off and lacking in the upper mids by comparison. My Sonoous X is not fully broken in so not sure how the comparison will hold up in the long run. I think the Sonorous X is supposed to be bright and clear, but I haven't heard that. Anyway, I like the Sonorous X as a niche headphone, but I would not take it over the Stellia for a reference headphone. Incidentally, both are closed headphones and the Stellia is considerably lighter and more comfortable ...and most importantly, more neutral and balanced in its presentation - though considerably less technicolor.
Ok, back to Stellia...

Treble - The treble was good. I think I am less sensitive to treble than some others, but I found the treble to be well balanced and cohesive or in line with the other frequencies. I thought the treble was clear, though maybe not quite as resolving as some of the finest, I certainly did not feel it lacking resolution, and it was not dry. Did it have sparkle? Not sure. But overall, I liked the treble. My friend is sensitive to treble - both quality and quantity and i trust him because I know he can hear above 20Khz and he tends to quickly form an impression on treble that is consistent with others or takes me longer to reach the same conclusion. though I do not always. Anyway, He had no issues with the treble whatsoever.

Isolation - Being a closed headphone, isolation would be important to folks, but usually less so to me. I'll leave it for others to comment, but I noticed that when a TV was playing in the background it muted it considerably more than my open headphones and when my friends were playing the Stellia, I did not hear the music, even when sitting a few feet away. But the room was not quiet enough for me to say conclusively whether it is good or bad in this regard.

Soundstage / Imaging - Soundstage wasn't large, separation was ok and I suppose imaging was ok. But not impressive. And I have a closed McIntosh headphone that is both clearer, and has extremely good imaging and separation - though it lacks lower midrange a little more than the Stellia and is a little less full sounding (from memory). Incidentally, the McIntosh MHP1000 may have even better timbre and would give the Stellia a run for it's money - though I suspect I would prefer the Stellia overall for a slightly, fuller, more balanced sound.

Comfort - I found the Stellia to be pretty comfortable. I have an average sized head and average facial features and I had no issue with discomfort, though I'm pretty tolerant.

Would I buy a Stellia? I like to conclude my write-ups with this question because for all the words, it sums up whether I really liked the unit well enough to put down a pile of cash. The truth is, I feel the 3000 USD price tag is a bit steep for the Stellia. It is a great sounding headphone, and very impressive and competitive, even among headphones that are open - and that's no small feat. But at that price you are going against the best of the best. If you want a closed headphone, this is probably, overall, one of the best, if not the best I have heard. If you put open headphones into consideration, then there are headphones with better soundstaging, larger sound, fully extended (and still well balanced) bass. Because we all hear differently and have different tastes, my answer to the question may not be your answer. I like neutral, rich, full bodied sound, clarity, and good dynamics and punch. I also generally prefer slightly forward and bright sound over recessed or an overly warm sound. Also, I listen to rock, metal, classical, jazz, and pop. So a well-rounded headphone that is good for all genres is important to me, and at times, I would like a closed headphone. So while I don't feel the need to run out and buy this tomorrow, I would most certainly be interested in purchasing these in the future. Focal sometimes has great sales during the holiday season. I have no idea whether the Stellia will go on sale, but perhaps I'll wait and see.

Todd of TTVJ does not ask for a plug in these reviews, but I want to thank him for lending his personal pair to us and encourage anyone interested in buying the Stellia to reach out to him. His prices are super competitive and he's a great guy to deal with.

Last edited:
May 16, 2019 at 5:21 PM Post #10 of 29
Focal Stellia Review
Initial Impressions

When I first got these, I was amazed with the build quality of these.The packaging was just amazing as I really felt like I spent $3000 on a pair of headphones. It felt so sturdy and well-constructed like it should be at this price point. The cable quality of it is just amazing. I doubt this will ever have any issues for the lifetime of this product. It really feels like a tank like most focal headphones I tried in the past. What really amazed me were the padding on these that are SO smooth, plush and not stiff at all. They feel like pillows on your head and I just had to admire them for a while. When I put on my first song to listen, the first word that came to my mind was crisp. In comparison to the HD 580 which I was using for the past 2 weeks before the Stellia came in, the HD 580 is a little on the warmer side so I wouldn’t say the Stellias are bright from this.

Build

As noted before these are astonishingly well built and make you feel like you are a baller wearing them. They have no issues at all with me although during my time with these the cable does seem to have a mind of its own and doesn’t really like to mend from left to right, only up and down really. The cable is well built though, although I did get a little annoyed when the cable rubbed against my jacket during listening sessions and made a distracting noise. Pretty nit picky here I know but there isn’t much to complain about Focal headphone's build quality.
Although I did hear rumors that since the Stellia’s earpads from the top portion of it that some people were not getting a good seal. I haven’t had this issue at all but if you have a head on the longer side it may affect seal, although I didn’t feel the seal was impacted from my head shape. The earcups just swivel back from the top part if you try to push it against your head.

Comfort

As noted in my initial impressions the padding on these feels SO luxurious. It does feel amazing to just put these on after a day of work and just sit back. They are on the heavy side a bit though, at 435 grams, although most of the time using this I felt as if it was completely comfortable. I did have some issues at times that this felt like a little too heavy and had to take them off and give them a break. They do evenly distribute weight well though, I can’t really say I had much complaints on this.
These also don't really feel as breathable, as expected from a closed back. Although it's not hot right now, I can imagine it would be worse in the summer time heat.

Summary of sound signature

To me listening to this I felt as if the sound signature was just the slightest bit of v shaped. The bass feels just a tiny bit emphasized and so does the treble. The mids are just slightly recessed, as I felt in my music vocals went just slightly behind the instruments.

Source

FLAC 16bit 44hz - SMSL SU-8 V2 – JDS Labs Atoms

Bass

Now the bass isn’t really overwhelming or bleeds much into the mids. It’s what I would call almost a balanced amount, it just has a decent amount of it, it’s not what I would call a basshead headphone like a TH900 by far. But that said these extend well. It isn’t really a headphone where you get a lot of punch to it, it’s more like you can hear the bass. They do have a nice amount though where you won’t feel like you are missing parts of song though. You can really feel 15hz, it’s just not the most punchy, impactful bass out there.

Mids

Now the mids feel like almost neutral as I said but just a tiny bit recessed. Thought I don’t feel like the suffer much if at all from this. They don’t feel like a lot there is much to complain about. They are quite detailed but if you are trying to find a headphone that the vocals and mids jump out at you it isn’t the best at it.

Treble

My initial impressions of these were sort of in the crisp category. I wouldn’t call these overly bright though it’s just slightly above neutral to me. I don’t think I would mess much with the treble although after 10khz I did feel like there wasn’t as much extension, FR graphs seems to say differently but I can’t say for sure since trying to hear it was a bit confusing for me. I might lower the treble just a bit with EQ though. I would think the Head-Fi FR graph on these were the most accurate.

Soundstage

When I first got these, I had thoughts that these would be extremely intimate and wouldn’t have much soundstage. Although when I first put them on, I was surprised to hear that these have quite a decent soundstage. I wouldn’t say that these are wide or too large, it just feels about average and accurate. Maybe just slightly on the more intimate side.

Imaging

I was surprised with this too that these have decent imaging. Although it’s not like these are the highlight of the headphone, soundstage and imaging, it does a perfectly decent job at gaming if that’s your thing. I would have no complaints about them.

Isolation

These aren’t really the most isolating headphone out there I heard but they have a decent amount of isolation. You can still hear things like the dog barking, kid’s crying, your mechanical keyboard etc. If you expect to block out everything out, you may be a little disappointed. With music on though it does help a bit, sometimes I completely can’t hear anyone knocking on the door or coming inside the house. Also, if you do have someone sitting next to you and aren’t listening loud there is no issues with sound leaking to everyone around you.

Dynamics

I haven’t been given the chance to get a focal headphone at home, but I now understand what everyone means by their dynamics. It can be a love it or hate it thing from what I heard and personally for me it’s maybe a slight bit too much for me. Listening at stores and events I didn’t have enough time to notice it as much but while I’m at home it’s so much easier to notice. It can be a little uncomfortable for me.

Random Thoughts

So when I first got these I have to say they were extremely easy to drive. A little too easy since I feel like in Foobar I must go around -40db to get a decent listening level and probably 8 o clock on the atoms. When I play games it’s so loud that I had to basically go to just above 0 volume level in the game. A bit of nitpicking here but it was surprising how easy it was to drive them. On my LG v20 they easily got to decent listening levels using the hi-fi quad-dac with just using 5/75 on the volume. I’m not a very loud listener but I wouldn’t have thought these would be that easy to drive. I probably could fix this with just using pre-amp of negative x amount but I’m not sure how that would affect things such as dynamics and other aspects. These are aimed at portable use, but I don’t think that’s such a smart idea because of their cost.

EQ?

I did briefly try Oratory1990 EQ on this to the Harman target and that was just unacceptable for the EQ. It just made a lot of music song terribly wrong. I was never a fan of his EQ for most of my headphones in the past. I think the worst part about it was the treble portion of that EQ. Switching back and forth I much preferred the stock sound which sounded much smoother.

Trying to find the dips and humps in this was hard for me for some reason. The FR graphs don’t seem to have the same exact humps and dips as I heard. I wasn’t very confident in what I made but mostly everything between 1.7k-2.5k felt a little too much and there were a lot of sharp dips in the treble that became a little confusing to distinguish. I did also try to remedy that small dip in the bass too around 45hz.I probably would need more time with them to get a decent EQ made up.

To buy or not?

Well around this price range diminishing returns are going to hit hard. At 3,000 USD I feel like it may just be a bit high for what you are a getting. I mean everything about the headphone is beautiful though, the build especially and the cables included and that carrying pouch. It’s just that I feel there are other headphones in the competition that impress me more than the Stellia’s in terms of sound. The LCD-4 for example were just amazing the first time I heard them and are up there, so much impact, amazing bass quality and just felt so smooth. In terms of closed-backs I haven’t heard many competitors, although I heard the ZMF closed backs being well received. I might have to come back to this and look at closed backs more but the open headphones up around that price range might be my first option against the Stellia. Most of my genre’s that I listen to consist of rock, pop, some metal, some instrumental and hip-hop. I would love if the Stellia had more impact and punch to them, were a bit harder to drive and eased a bit on the dynamics. If they had a good sale on them, I think this would be an easier buy.

And thank you very much to Todd of TTJV for the opportunity to try the Focal Stellia. The services he provides are amazing for the Head-Fi community to review and try out at home. For all of you reading this, you should definitely take a look at his store if you're considering buying any audio equipment too.

May 21, 2019 at 1:42 PM Post #11 of 29
Fortunate to have had the Stellia for seven days. Thank you,Todd!

My headphone journey: sennheiser HD-580/Jubilee, 650, Denon 7000, Ultrasone Edition 8 -> mojo, Tidal.

A headphone fit for a king who loves luxury and quality. From my first listening experience to the last I found myself in pure enjoyment without any concern for critical listening. Just straight enjoyment. Hours of enjoyment. With the Stellia powered by my IPhone or out of my mojo it was a pleasure. The build quality is top notch and solid. The color scheme is very handsome, but may show wear over time.. somewhat of a heavy headphone compared to my edition 8, but still balanced comfortably on my head. Never seemed to bother me after hours of listening..

The Sound was immersive and fun, kinda like swimming in the music. The Midrange, highs and lows are very well balanced with a low end that sneaks up on you.. If you’re a base head you might be missing some low end.. I love a balanced presentation and found the Stellia to be a solid 9. Listening across genres the Stellia performed seamless and musical.

Recordings that stood out:

Broken Bells/Broken Bells, I n I/Center Of Attention, Aretha Franklin/Spirit In The Dark, Nick Cave &The Bad Seed/Live From KCRW, Dominique Fils-Aime/Nameless

From packaging to sound quality this is a top tier product that I would love to own..

Vive la France

Jun 28, 2019 at 12:40 AM Post #12 of 29
Just dropping in to say I have the loaner unit on my head now. These are very dynamic sounding,with big bass slam and extension. Also a wide and deep staging for a closed back.
More to come after the Stellia's time with me is over.

Jul 9, 2019 at 4:38 PM Post #14 of 29
Hi Todd,sent you a PM.

Jul 19, 2019 at 12:24 PM Post #15 of 29
My review of the Focal Stellia is up.
The unit will be shipped to the next participant either later today or tomorrow.
Thank you Todd for continuing to do these tours!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back