Focal Spirit Classic First Look - Head-Fi TV
Mar 18, 2016 at 9:49 AM Post #196 of 204
My second pair of Classics has also developed hairline cracks other headband. I had high hopes for the replacements as they looked to have been redesigned with less thin plastic around the swivelling joint.

My optimism proved unfounded. They are detereating even quicker than my original pair. Around 4 months. This despite the fact that they have been well and truly mollycoddled.

They haver never left the house. Have hardly ever been folded (I wish now I had NEVER folded them) and always stored in their foam lined box not bag.

In summary these are still a wonderful pair of headphones spoilt by two pieces of cheap plastic. Not great on a 300 euro set.

Decided to apply a blob of adhesive to each cracks in the hope it might stop the spread.

I will keep these (no one will pay me good money for them Now) but will stick to German Professional headphones in the future Whether it is just cosmetic or terminal we shall see.

Ps don't use superglue it actually MELTS the plastic!

Mar 18, 2016 at 11:18 AM Post #197 of 204
Sorry to hear that. I just gave my pair to a friend for saving my vintage guitar from a flood( and his birthday ) I hope they serve him as well as they did me. If you want a headphone with a similar sound, the zmf vibro was the set that replaced mine. Their were some euro only buyer in the classifieds.

Mar 18, 2016 at 11:24 AM Post #198 of 204
Sorry to hear that. I just gave my pair to a friend for saving my vintage guitar from a flood( and his birthday ) I hope they serve him as well as they did me. If you want a headphone with a similar sound, the zmf vibro was the set that replaced mine. Their were some euro only buyer in the classifieds.

maybe modded t50rp mk3 will be good replacement that is more durable and comfy than the fsp? zmf classic?

Mar 18, 2016 at 11:57 AM Post #199 of 204
Yeah, def more durable. Similar sound signature. Much more comfy for bigger heads. I've got the vibro and omni. Both higher end, but I've heard nothing but praise on the classic and v2. It is a planar so it's harder to drive. If that's an issue then the sennheiser momentum 2. You must have an amp for planars

Mar 18, 2016 at 12:00 PM Post #200 of 204
Yeah, def more durable. Similar sound signature. Much more comfy for bigger heads. I've got the vibro and omni. Both higher end, but I've heard nothing but praise on the classic and v2. It is a planar so it's harder to drive. If that's an issue then the sennheiser momentum 2. You must have an amp for planars

o2 will drive them i assume

Mar 18, 2016 at 12:05 PM Post #201 of 204
Not the omni, it will be thin on that. But the master and even the vibro are fine with just my geek out 450. That's .450 watt amp. Sounds great with 1w .

Mar 18, 2016 at 12:37 PM Post #202 of 204
maybe modded t50rp mk3 will be good replacement that is more durable and comfy than the fsp? zmf classic?

I've never heard a mk 3. The one on the classifieds here isn't modded. Unless I misremember. Research time.

Jul 4, 2016 at 2:28 AM Post #203 of 204
of all the headphones ive owned and tried, the focal classic is one of the most unique sounding ive tried.
i plan to buy one for myself.
i find the sound to be so relax, almost flattish with an elevated mid bass. 
the details is above average, extended and not too artificial treble. mids are great but not too front. everthing seems so linear or neutral. just that good bass gives the presentation a little life to make it sound not too boring.
build quality is excellent. i cant comment on the comfort yet since i havent managed to try it for 30minutes or so.
but the overall sound quality is definitely better than PHILIPS x1, x2, the es700 by ath, the msr7, and the NAD viso. its more relaxed in presentation, but detailed and flat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back