Focal Sphear earphones
Mar 25, 2017 at 4:09 AM Post #151 of 166
I ordered a pair last week. It should get to me tomorrow. I'll post a quick impression if anyone's interesting. I'm not so certain I'll be posting a full review though(I honestly won't know until I get them).

So?

Mar 25, 2017 at 6:59 PM Post #152 of 166
So here is a short impression:
Sphears are a slight V shaped(or perhaps even a slight w shaped) IEM with ample detail and wide soundstage.

Pros:
-Wide and natural soundstage
-Ample details(I won't call the sphears extremely detailed, but for $99, these are pretty well detailed)
-Good balance of forwardness and distance
-Good clarity throughout the frequency
-Good comfort
-Good bass extension, sub bass impact

Cons:
-Audible peak in lower-upper frequency. Amplifies sibilance is certain recordings(and to clarify, as some reviewers claimed compression made things worst, all of my recordings are non-compressed, with majority being 24bit masters).
-Lack of upper treble extension. While not as bad as Shure IEMs, I suspect a rather early roll off around 14-15k.
-Recessed upper mids(specifically in the female vocal range)
-Lack of isolation

Do you guys generally agree?

Mar 31, 2017 at 8:20 AM Post #153 of 166
For those who own Focal Sphear's and consider it to have a "favorable" sound signature, how does it compare with the B&O H3 2nd Gen. and RBH EP3?  Thank you.

Jul 26, 2017 at 5:28 PM Post #157 of 166
Ok, well the Sphear S's sound a bit sibilant, but the bass "may" be a little tighter, when compared to 1 year old well broken in 1st gen Sphear's on crude A/B testing. There are no identifying product marks other than a lower serial # (or other specific manufacturer info) differentiating the S from the 1st gen. So far I am not impressed. I am listening through a Sony NWZ-X2 DAP slightly EQ'ed, so my source is OK I believe. I will update as these IEM's break in a bit. I would hold off on buying these if you expect them to have an initial wow factor over the 1st gen Sphear. Earbud shape and form exactly the same as gen 1. I have not really compared sound isolation as of yet because it's not a big issue for me with my current set up. I usually listen in quiet space anyway except if in a car then it all changes. YMMV, please post, no offence taken. BTW my avatar picture is not me although I consider myself a fairly good looking male! This pic is just of a fine hottie I couldn't resist, considering my profession. :)

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2018 at 2:25 PM Post #159 of 166
Update, please!

Mar 11, 2018 at 1:35 AM Post #161 of 166
How are they compared to the original Sphear?

Mar 23, 2018 at 4:01 PM Post #162 of 166
I saw a reviewer on another site talking about how sibilant these are. Two independent users stating these are sibilant now I will stay far away.

The white ones are beautiful; though, it appears they never produced any. What a tease.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2018 at 11:29 PM Post #164 of 166
I recently purchased a pair of these and have been trying to get the best fit. Purchased both the Comply 160 S/M/L the pack and the Sony EP-EX11L.M.S that can be found on eBay. My opinions on what I've tried follow. The stock Focal foam, if it doesn't fit your ear may work is way out of you are between sizes. The Comply are much more compressible and expand slower. Both provide good sound isolation and quite a bit of lower end compared to the stock Focal silicone tips. Better sounding across the rest of the spectrum, plenty of low end though. Focal stock silicone are thinner than Sony hybrid, least sound isolation and my least favorite as they seem to provide a much less even response across the spectrum. Maybe a little too airy and wandering for my taste. Sony hybrids win for me on comfort and provide adequate sound isolation and even things up a little, although not as well as the Comply, without the level of low end of Comply.

****They don't match up size for size****
Comply L = Sony L
Comply M, S very slightly smaller than Focal M, S
Sony L < Focal, Sony M = Focal M, Sony S > Focal (the Sony sizes are closer to each other)

For size comparison (decrease L to R):
Top row: Focal L, Comply L
Middle row: Focal M, Comply M, Focal S, Comply S
Bottom row:Focal L, Sony L, Focal M, Sony M
263AC60D-0189-46E1-997D-A1C5BB1F1998.jpeg
1B280A59-92FB-4093-981C-FDE2B596D9EE.jpeg

Dec 24, 2018 at 9:16 AM Post #165 of 166
Hello friends!

I am a music producer. I occasionally mix my music too.
I have Focal CMS 65 NF Monitors at my studio and Shure SRH940 for referencing.
I also use Sound magic e80c for general listening and referencing on the go. They are really nice and great value.
Recently, I decided to upgrade my IEMs. Researched and ordered 1more triple drivers.
Here in India we rarely get the opportunity to demo gear.
After using it for a week, somehow i am not liking the overall frequency balance and the fit.
I also checked my friends' FIIO F9 pros, which i found a bit sibilant for my taste, though they sounded fabulous otherwise.
After reading some rave reviews, i am leaning towards Focal SPHEAR IEM.

My question is, has anyone compared 1more TD with Sphear head to head?
My preferences are :
- Neutrality (signature should be close to the source)
- Detailing & Transparency
- Balanced freq Spectrum
- Imaging
Any insights will be highly appreciated..

Thanks in advance! :)

Mohan

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back