Focal Listen Professional
Mar 26, 2021 at 8:32 PM Post #61 of 72
Do you find the treble bright or sibilant in any form of the stock Listen Pro?
Definitely no. They’re made by Focal after all... 😉 I find the treble extension of the foam removal mod to be quite welcome actually, despite being quite sensitive for harsh treble. I did however use a pattern of Micropore tape to tone it back down just a tad.

Mar 28, 2021 at 1:28 PM Post #62 of 72
Definitely no. They’re made by Focal after all... 😉 I find the treble extension of the foam removal mod to be quite welcome actually, despite being quite sensitive for harsh treble. I did however use a pattern of Micropore tape to tone it back down just a tad.
Have you also heard the regular Listen?

If you did, which one have you found to have more bass between Listen Pro and regular Listen?

Mar 31, 2021 at 12:11 PM Post #64 of 72
Just got the Listen Pro. Initially a bit bright, but after putting some foam in the center it’s alright.

My problem is the bass.. It’s too weak for me. Will the bass come out with burn in?

Mar 31, 2021 at 9:17 PM Post #65 of 72
My problem is the bass.. It’s too weak for me. Will the bass come out with burn in?
It will, to some extent. But it is definitely not going to change them into bass monsters.

I drilled two tiny holes in the cups to increase the bass response. The same mood made the Spirit Pro bass response per much perfect, but unfortunately on the Listen Pros it boosts only very low frequencies, and not that much at the 100-150Hz warmth I was hoping for.

Apr 1, 2021 at 10:44 AM Post #66 of 72
It will, to some extent. But it is definitely not going to change them into bass monsters.

I drilled two tiny holes in the cups to increase the bass response. The same mood made the Spirit Pro bass response per much perfect, but unfortunately on the Listen Pros it boosts only very low frequencies, and not that much at the 100-150Hz warmth I was hoping for.
Can you show me a pic please of the holes you drilled?

May 16, 2021 at 1:19 PM Post #67 of 72
My reference headphone !

I had a Focal Spirit One , have a Spirit Pro , a Listen Wireless and an Elegia , but these one ...
Extreme transparency , high level of detail , wide soundstage ... you hear litteraly everything !
With Xplay 5S and Topping DX7 Pro , these headphone demonstrate the best they can offer.

They are cheap right now (around 120 - 150 €) so if you like neutrality , transparency and high level of detail , i don't think you'll find anything similar , if better.

May 31, 2021 at 4:16 PM Post #68 of 72
I picked up one of these and I'm enjoying it. I somewhat dislike the wooly quality, a little woolier than Sennheisers tend to be. Oh, then I take an earpad off and see the big foam disc over the driver. Oh boy.
Pretty good sound overall, though I'd like more treble clarity, the isolation and good tonal balance rocks, though it seems mildly warm in excess in the lower midrange. Thinking about it more, the tonal balance reminds me of ATH-ESW9.
I might have been a bit motivated to try these due to Ty Unwin using a Listen Pro, hahah.

I'll probably add an HD280 headband pad later, the Focal headband padding alone is too thin, I strongly dislike when makers favor looks over comfort. Annoying.

Last edited:
May 31, 2021 at 5:05 PM Post #69 of 72
I picked up one of these and I'm enjoying it. I somewhat dislike the wooly quality, a little woolier than Sennheisers tend to be. Oh, then I take an earpad off and see the big foam disc over the driver. Oh boy.
Pretty good sound overall, though I'd like more treble clarity, the isolation and good tonal balance rocks, though it seems mildly warm in excess in the lower midrange. Thinking about it more, the tonal balance reminds me of ATH-ESW9.
I might have been a bit motivated to try these due to Ty Unwin using a Listen Pro, hahah.

I'll probably add an HD280 headband pad later, the Focal headband padding alone is too thin, I strongly dislike when makers favor looks over comfort. Annoying.
I found the treble too sharp in the 10khz range stock, it was better with some extra foam over the middle of the driver.

My HD650 is way smoother, even after putting extra foam on the Listen Pro. My biggest problem with them was lack of bass for my taste, they were rather bass light for me.

Jun 1, 2021 at 7:01 PM Post #70 of 72
I have not checked for the 10kHz peak yet, almost all closed-back headphones have that, actually.
I am more sensitive to that peak in some headphones than others, they all vary in intensity. The headphones with the strongest 10kHz peak, if memory serves right, is DT770 and K553. I still have my K553, while DT770 I replaced with a Pioneer HRM7.

edit: I heard the peak in a sine sweep, it's not that bad, at least for me, but a little stronger than the 10kHz peak is a ~16kHz peak. Almost strong enough to bother me. Extra noticeable after spending a little time with an X2HR and HFI-2400 before switching to the Listen Pro.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2022 at 1:33 PM Post #72 of 72
Can’t believe no one is taking about this can more…this is now my default traveling can, it’s foldable into smaller bag, transparent sound and good enough soundstage, and you do hear every detail, not very expensive and rugged.

I used it for monitoring sound in production and mixing, it leaks a little bit but not noticeable, especially when out. Probably not in a public library.

The pressure is adequate and covers the ear nicely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back