Focal Listen Impressions and Review
Feb 26, 2018 at 6:24 AM Post #196 of 226
Hey guys! I have this headphones. I really found them great at the start vs my HD 558. But over time i somewhat started disliking it? I felt like my $20 ADAX HT06 earpieces were better. Plus the clamp force is insane and gives me jaw pain after a while even after trying to declamp them. Headband also gives me headaches. I guess it comes down to preference but i do think they can take a beating with their build quality.

Feb 26, 2018 at 10:46 AM Post #197 of 226
Hey guys! I have this headphones. I really found them great at the start vs my HD 558. But over time i somewhat started disliking it? I felt like my $20 ADAX HT06 earpieces were better. Plus the clamp force is insane and gives me jaw pain after a while even after trying to declamp them. Headband also gives me headaches. I guess it comes down to preference but i do think they can take a beating with their build quality.
Try these guys out: http://a.co/53lrmBR

These are the Meze 99 Classics/Neo pads and they fit BEAUTIFULLY on the Focal Listens. They even "open up" the sound a bit more and help calm down the sharp treble. You should also experience less clamp force with these on too.

If you don't like the pleather you can try these out: https://www.amazon.com/Turtle-Beach-Cushion-Type-Earpad-TurtleBeach/dp/B00J5NTWGQ

Yes, they're trash Turtle Beach pads. And yes the foam bounces back as fast as titanium. But the mesh breathes very well, and the sound opens up even more. I daresay with these the Focal Listen sounds...neutral? I dunno, but even so it wasn't worth the extra cramp force...errr, clamp force.

And no, I never had a headphone that worked well with those over-sized Brainwavz pads so save yourself the trouble and don't buy those.

Now I wonder if there will be a way to buy the Focal Listen Pro's pads by themselves.

Apr 16, 2018 at 12:28 AM Post #198 of 226
Thus far in the world of hifi I've only experimented with earphones, and I want to make the leap to headphones. I've been reading a lot of the Sound Science Subforum and i'm going to try to get a "neutral is best" mindset. Sounds like from the impressions these are modestly more neutral than the normal model, and thus have a modest SQ increase. So can anyone confirm they're worth the $50 increase over the normal Focal Listen? And if not what ~$300 closed back would you recommend?

Apr 19, 2018 at 9:31 AM Post #200 of 226
Thus far in the world of hifi I've only experimented with earphones, and I want to make the leap to headphones. I've been reading a lot of the Sound Science Subforum and i'm going to try to get a "neutral is best" mindset. Sounds like from the impressions these are modestly more neutral than the normal model, and thus have a modest SQ increase. So can anyone confirm they're worth the $50 increase over the normal Focal Listen? And if not what ~$300 closed back would you recommend?
At max $300, Beyerdynamic DT 250, Beyerdynamic DT 150 + DT 100 velour pads, E-MU Walnut.

Also, for sound (comfort will probably be an issue) the Japanse import red ringed JVC HA-S400 ($30, but sound is mind blowing good, up there with the best at $300 in my experience whether closed or open, only a bit bass light, better mids and highs than the Focal Listen, but around the same bass quantity). With the HA-S400, the version with the English text on the box, is very muddy in the bass and lower mids, compared to the one with the Japanse text on it.

I think those are your best options at the closed back $300 range, if you want a relatively balanced, but highly realistic sound.

The DT 150 + DT 100 velour pads will probably be the best allrounder without an amp.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2018 at 5:45 PM Post #201 of 226
^Just read the jvc 400 thread and saw comments saying that they sound better with akg k81 pads, do you agree with that as well or do you find them fine in stock form?

Apr 19, 2018 at 6:06 PM Post #202 of 226
^Just read the jvc 400 thread and saw comments saying that they sound better with akg k81 pads, do you agree with that as well or do you find them fine in stock form?
The first S400 (with English text on the box) I had, did benefit from the K81 pads, in the way that it made them lively in the mids and highs, however the bass was still too much and too boomy to be considered balanced sounding.

However, the ATH SJ5 pads made the English version properly balanced sounding, with wonderful realism

With this new Japanse imported red S400 I have now, I don't feel the need to put on other pads than stock, but I can imagine the K81 pads actually making them a bit more detailed and livelier, without compromises.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018 at 12:57 AM Post #203 of 226
The Focal is a nice headphone. I own the original Listen. Another good choice for around 300 is the Meze 99 Classic.

At max $300, Beyerdynamic DT 250, Beyerdynamic DT 150 + DT 100 velour pads, E-MU Walnut.

Also, for sound (comfort will probably be an issue) the Japanse import red ringed JVC HA-S400 ($30, but sound is mind blowing good, up there with the best at $300 in my experience whether closed or open, only a bit bass light, better mids and highs than the Focal Listen, but around the same bass quantity). With the HA-S400, the version with the English text on the box, is very muddy in the bass and lower mids, compared to the one with the Japanse text on it.

I think those are your best options at the closed back $300 range, if you want a relatively balanced, but highly realistic sound.

The DT 150 + DT 100 velour pads will probably be the best allrounder without an amp.

Thanks for the advice, I'll take a look at both the meze and beyerdynamic (as well as the focal).

The audio world continues to surprise me, Beyerdynamic must advertise the 250 WAY less than the 770/880/990, as your post was the first I had heard of them.

Im in the country, so there's a lack of audio stores nearby, but who knows, with return policies I'll probably be able to try all three.

Apr 20, 2018 at 5:13 PM Post #204 of 226
Thanks for the advice, I'll take a look at both the meze and beyerdynamic (as well as the focal).

The audio world continues to surprise me, Beyerdynamic must advertise the 250 WAY less than the 770/880/990, as your post was the first I had heard of them.

Im in the country, so there's a lack of audio stores nearby, but who knows, with return policies I'll probably be able to try all three.
The DT 250 - 250 ohms are crazy good, they don't sound closed in, sibilant or artificial at all, like I've read on the more well known 770/880 and 990

Jun 23, 2018 at 7:12 PM Post #207 of 226
Hello guys… I’m new on the Listen forum fan club.

Two years ago I was looking for a great headphone and after some nice discovery like the Momentum 2.0 or the Focal Spirit (with his infernal clamping) I finally discovered the listen ! What a great discovery. I tried this headset in different show and each time I was immediately thinking : That’s it, it works, that’s just a great headphone… the kind of one you don’t ask yourself any questions…

So well, after long research I deceided to buy a pair. Well it’s cheap so I don’t care. It’s just I don’t want to buy stuff I don’t really need.

And… and… what a deception !

I did not remember that the clamping was so strong, and the top headband so unconfortable. The sound was there but with no confort, it’s sad. I guess in the shows they use so super burned pair that doesn’t clamp like an out of the box product.
So, after few month I deceided to do something about it. Tweaking is still an option when it’s not a $4000 headset.
After measurement I’ve been on Amazon and I bought 2 products from Geekria to upgrade my Listen :

1 : SONY MDR-V600, MDR-V900, Z600, 7509 Headphones Replacement Headband
2 : Senneheiser HD8, DJ On-Ear Headphones Replacement Headband

The first one is a 23.5 cm rubber cushion to put over the original Listen headband.
The second one is a replacement headband. I was not sure to use this one because I was not sure I will be able to remove the original headband properly.

Well, I have received the products today, and I’ve immediately tested the Sony rubber cushion thing. It fits well over the original headband… it’s nice and clean.
Does it improve the confort… not that much ! I could say that immediately. It’s just almost the same. The rubber cushion is just here to cover a damaged headband, not to replace it really and improve the confort.

DSCF7218.JPG
DSCF7223.JPG

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2018 at 7:26 PM Post #208 of 226
So well… it was time for SURGERY !
Let's try the Senneheiser HD8, DJ On-Ear Headphones Replacement Headband !!

DSCF7232.JPG

Is it possible to remove the original headband without destroying it ? Maybe but I could not save mine. But believe me you will not look back after this so it will not be a big lost.

First, remove these 2 pieces of plastic over the earcups. Use a screw, they go easely. I didn’t do that first but I think it’s the better option to remove the original headband if you want to save it. So remove the horrible original headband the way you can.

DSCF7245.JPG

Done !
Note the original foam under it is not glued to the plastic, great !

DSCF7237.JPG

Now you can stop there if you want and insert the new headband but I strongly suggest you continue… it’s just there… you can almost see it ! Your enemy…

DSCF7248.JPG

There are 2 pieces of plastic that old the cable. They slide from the top to the side. You can’t remove them completely but now you can do it : MURDER the insane metallic clamping crap that make you feel in the jaws of a crocodile everytime you put the Listen over your head.

Forget the easy way. The metallic band is used for the bending system so you have to cut it… and it’s hard to cut. Use a really good tool there. Cut the 4 small pieces of metal on the side. You have no other options, you have to remove it entierely. I started form the center… maybe it’s more easy this way.

DONE… great !

DSCF7261.JPG

Now you can rebuilt the listen.

First put the 2 pieces of plastic that hold the cable. Slide them from the side to the top.

DSCF7265.JPG

Then the 2 pieces of plastic on the side over the earcups.

And then the best part : install the Senneheiser HD8, DJ On-Ear Headphones Replacement Headband.
You don’t have to glue it, it feet and replace perfectly the original headband.

DSCF7270.JPG

And here you are, with a pair of incredible headphone. Confort is just great (now) and the clamping is much much better. There is still a clamping from the plastic band but it’s much softer. I have absolutely no regret about all this surgery thing.

Save your head… just do it !

My Focal Listen looks perfectly genuine… but it’s far different from the original.

It sounds great, confort is there. I have it on my head since one hour… it’s perfect.

Maybe a little bit hot because of the leather… maybe it’s possible to find some replacement hearpads from the Listen Pro. The guys from Focal told me it was a great improvement over the original listen !

DSCF7279.JPG

DSCF7282.JPG

Guys… just do it ! There is no way back !

Follow the link below...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B014S94V9E/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2018 at 8:39 PM Post #209 of 226
So well… it was time for SURGERY !
Let's try the Senneheiser HD8, DJ On-Ear Headphones Replacement Headband !!

Is it possible to remove the original headband without destroying it ? Maybe but I could not save mine. But believe me you will not look back after this so it will not be a big lost.

First, remove these 2 pieces of plastic over the earcups. Use a screw, they go easely. I didn’t do that first but I think it’s the better option to remove the original headband if you want to save it. So remove the horrible original headband the way you can.

Done !
Note the original foam under it is not glued to the plastic, great !

Now you can stop there if you want and insert the new headband but I strongly suggest you continue… it’s just there… you can almost see it ! Your enemy…

There are 2 pieces of plastic that old the cable. They slide from the top to the side. You can’t remove them completely but now you can do it : MURDER the insane metallic clamping crap that make you feel in the jaws of a crocodile everytime you put the Listen over your head.

Forget the easy way. The metallic band is used for the bending system so you have to cut it… and it’s hard to cut. Use a really good tool there. Cut the 4 small pieces of metal on the side. You have no other options, you have to remove it entierely. I started form the center… maybe it’s more easy this way.

DONE… great !

Now you can rebuilt the listen.

First put the 2 pieces of plastic that hold the cable. Slide them from the side to the top.

Then the 2 pieces of plastic on the side over the earcups.

And then the best part : install the Senneheiser HD8, DJ On-Ear Headphones Replacement Headband.
You don’t have to glue it, it feet and replace perfectly the original headband.

And here you are, with a pair of incredible headphone. Confort is just great (now) and the clamping is much much better. There is still a clamping from the plastic band but it’s much softer. I have absolutely no regret about all this surgery thing.

Save your head… just do it !

My Focal Listen looks perfectly genuine… but it’s far different from the original.

It sounds great, confort is there. I have it on my head since one hour… it’s perfect.

Maybe a little bit hot because of the leather… maybe it’s possible to find some replacement hearpads from the Listen Pro. The guys from Focal told me it was a great improvement over the original listen !

Guys… just do it ! There is no way back !

Follow the link below...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B014S94V9E/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Very cool!

I wasn't very creative so I just bought some knitted headband covers with those buttons that snap on.

Jun 26, 2018 at 12:46 PM Post #210 of 226
Hey guys! I have this headphones. I really found them great at the start vs my HD 558. But over time i somewhat started disliking it?
I had similar experience. I liked the relaxed sound at first but now they just sound drowsy to me. Same thing was with momentum over ear gen 1. Nothing particularly wrong with them but still I disliked them. Maybe My expectations are too high... or $300 headphones used to be better 10 years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back