Focal-JMlab 25th anniversary models
Apr 11, 2004 at 12:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

lini

Thought the last line in Citizen Kane was nosebud.
Just for your interest: Focal-JMlab has announced a few limited edition Electra models featuring a slightly modified version of the recently intruduced beryllium tweeter of the Utopia Be series. First model on the market will be the Electra 907 Be - more info in English over here: http://www.focal-jmlab.fr/gb/home/electra/e907be.htm

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Apr 11, 2004 at 4:02 AM Post #2 of 9
dead linkage?
frown.gif

EDIT: Nvermind, Its working now.

Apr 11, 2004 at 9:15 AM Post #3 of 9
Still works for me - strange... Did anyone else have problems, too?

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Apr 11, 2004 at 4:46 PM Post #6 of 9
Nice pair!!!
What is the estimate?
Are there any other manufacturers with beryllium technology?
Only I know of are JBL K2 and Focal JMlab.
From Harman engineer, I heard it leaves alot of toxic waste and defecteve rate is more than 35% thus resulting expensive unit cost.

Apr 12, 2004 at 12:22 AM Post #7 of 9
BigD: Sorry, haven't found any info on pricing, yet - my personal guess would be 2500 Euro per pair, though.

As for other berylllium tweeters, I think only Yamaha had one quite a few years ago - probably in the mid 80s, where the Japanese manufacturers seemed heavily involved in matrial research (like the phono department of Technics who had come up with quite a few "exotic" materials at that time - or A-T with giant crystal ofc...).

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Apr 12, 2004 at 7:19 AM Post #8 of 9
the beryllium tweeters are just a marketing tool right?--to differentiate this company from its competitors? i mean, there's plenty of tweeters out there that perform just as well, and costs much less i'm sure. (and yes BigD, berryllium is toxic in fragments... and i think it's quite deadly if you get a whif of it. but when it's made into a solid like the tweeter, i think it's safe. but i'm sure manufacturing these things requires many expensive safety measures.)

what you think?

Apr 12, 2004 at 12:40 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by Orpheus
what you think?

Honestly, I don't know (just wanted to pass the info) - and I guess nobody else could without auditioning. Nevertheless, I'm quite curious - one reason being that the German magazines more or less unisono claim these tweeters to be the best on the market so far. And the claimed ability to work from 1 to 40 kHz certainly seems interesting to me, too (although it wouldn't seem too clever to let it run down that low from the technical perspective).

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Users who are viewing this thread

Back