Focal Elear vs. Focal Clear
Mar 20, 2023 at 4:06 PM Post #31 of 47
I loved them for quite a while. I learned how to make convolution filters that Roon could use and was quite happy with them using that. Eventually got the itch to try something new (this damned hobby) and tried Denon 9200's. I liked these just a little bit more so I sold the Clear Mg's. Made a new convolution filter for the Denons and was again quite happy for some time. Then HifiMan knocked $1K off the HE1000 V2 so I felt like I had to try them and they are indeed the best I've had as of yet. These are the first headphones I've had that I don't feel the need to Eq. The Denons are still my choice for closed-backs so I kept them, too. First time I've kept two premium headphones at once. My peripheral gear has been considerably upgraded since I had the Mg's, so it would be interesting to hear them again now. But if you like the Focal sound (and I do) then the Mg's are definitely ones you should try. From reviews I've read I'm doubtful I would like the Utopias (either one), so the Mg was about as high as I was willing to go in the range. The only other phones I'd like to try are the Meze Elite and HifiMan Susvara, though both would require some kind of price drop before I'd buy them, especially the Susvara.

Thanks for Sharing. I agree with you on the he1k. Superb when properly amplified. I own them as well as the focal elear... but I am curious about focals. I have heard the Utopia many times and it is astonishing. So the clear Mg is tempting to try out... but I already have too many cans

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2023 at 4:39 PM Post #32 of 47
Thanks for Sharing. I agree with you on the he1k. Superb when properly amplified. I own them as well as the focal elear... but I am curious about focals. I have heard the Utopia many times and it is astonishing. So the clear Mg is tempting to try out... but I already have too many cans
I'd love to know your thoughts on the HE1000 V2 vs the Utopias. I'm using the new(ish) MacIntosh MHA200 tube amp. Have you heard both versions of the Utopia? I have no doubt the mids and highs are wonderful but I'm really concerned I would be giving up a bit of the low end. I'm not a bass-head but I do appreciate quality, tight bass. My last 3 'phones have all had it (Clear Mg's, Denon 9200's, and HE1000 V2, and IMO the quality of bass would be in that same order. Clear Mg's are fairly close to the 9200's, HE1K V2's are a clear step up from either).

Mar 20, 2023 at 4:59 PM Post #33 of 47
I have not been so Active in the last couple of years So I have not Heard the new Utopia. But they are very dependent On The Amplifier so is the he1k.
I would never trade 1k for the Utopia without having tried it in my system for quite a while.

In general Utopia is more on the clear and bright side

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2023 at 5:35 PM Post #36 of 47
I would never trade 1k for the Utopia without having tried it in my system for quite a while.

In general Utopia is more on the clear and bright side
Yeah, that's why I'm not sure I'd like them. Though I am getting older so it's possible that some upper end extension could be a good thing. Still think I might miss the bass from the HE1K V2...

Mar 20, 2023 at 5:48 PM Post #37 of 47
Yeah, that's why I'm not sure I'd like them. Though I am getting older so it's possible that some upper end extension could be a good thing. Still think I might miss the bass from the HE1K V2...
Just get the susvara 😁

Personally I would rather get the SE or the Arya as a supplement to the 1K , but I am not a one headphone guy

I was lucky enough to spend a few days with a Sennheiser he1. I think the sound signature of the 1K with a good matching amplifier is not too far away. Warm and Lush yet very detailed. No saying they are the same by any means but when I think about it it makes sense to compare the sound of the two even though the Sennheiser obviously is in another League

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2023 at 6:13 PM Post #38 of 47
I got my Clear OG's for $900 US new at headphones.com and you can not do better for that price IMHO.

Mar 20, 2023 at 6:26 PM Post #39 of 47
Last edited:
Mar 20, 2023 at 6:26 PM Post #40 of 47
I got my Clear OG's for $900 US new at headphones.com and you can not do better for that price IMHO.
Yeah, I saw that Focal and Naim products are all 20% off this week. That's apparently from any retailer as I've already received 2 emails touting the sale from different sources. I sold my used Clear Mg's for more than that...

May 26, 2023 at 6:04 AM Post #42 of 47
Has anyone tried the focal pads from China that are sold by multiple sellers on ebay and AliExpress? they seem to be replicas was wondering if they are any good.

May 26, 2023 at 6:06 AM Post #43 of 47
Has anyone tried the focal pads from China that are sold by multiple sellers on ebay and AliExpress? they seem to be replicas was wondering if they are any good.
I have ordered a pair. I also bought the attachment rings without pads so now I can use oval pads from any producer

Last edited:
May 26, 2023 at 6:08 AM Post #44 of 47
I have ordered a pair. I also bought the attachment rings without pads so now I can use oval pads from any producer
I ordered a pair myself but wanted to see if anyone may have to experience with them and if they are a good option

Users who are viewing this thread

Back