Focal Elear vs. Focal Clear
Apr 17, 2020 at 4:16 PM Post #16 of 47
It will if you put Elear pads on it. AFAIK the Elex is an Elear with a different paint scheme and pads. The pads, however, make a very big difference, and some aftermarket pads, like some of the Dekoni ones, will completely re-tune Focals to the point that they don't even sound like Focals anymore.

I will probably get some Dekoni pads for the Utopia and try to EQ them closer to neutral, and report back on how that works. Focals are tricky to EQ because a lot of their treble peaks are very narrow, and you have to use high-Q filters in your EQ - which degrades the sound - if you want to have a completely linear FR. So you have to choose between having a linear FR but maybe degraded imaging and detail, or keeping the technical performance but maybe not having them sound totally linear. Right now I'm choosing the latter and my Utopia sounds a bit like a somewhat darker HD600, which is not a bad thing in my book. But from the measurements I've seen Dekoni pads smooth out the FR and tame some of the peaks, at the expense of being less neutral and not as balanced overall, and this may make it possible to use less degrading EQ and let you get closer to neutral while keeping technicalities intact.

However that's just the theory. We'll see soon enough. There's more to sound quality than just the FR, and I didn't like either Clear or Elex pads on the Utopia at all.

I also ordered a pair of Dekoni sheepskin pads. I'll post an update next week. I'll be keen to get your feedback.

Apr 20, 2020 at 2:03 PM Post #17 of 47
The Dekoini pads arrived today. As soon as I tried them, I knew this was a step in the right direction. They helped out with the bass, providing a bit more clarity and definition. Where they really help is the upper midrange and treble. To me, the response improved, taming any hardness in sound provided by the headphones.

A definite worthwhile upgrade to the sound of the Elear :)

Mar 21, 2021 at 2:36 PM Post #21 of 47
I've been listening to Clears for about the last year or so but recently read that someone said that, if using Sonarworks Ref 4 for headphones, he actually preferred Elears. I've used Ref 4 for quite a while and personally swear by it. I still had my Elears so I tried them again, and I think he's on to something. The Clears definitely have a little more air and extension up top, but after A/B'ing them for quite a while I had to admit that I just enjoyed listening to the Elears more. When I originally got the Clears I remember thinking that they sounded like my beloved Elears, but with more refined upper frequencies and, yes, clarity that the Elears seemed to be missing. So what happened? I think it's likely to be one of three possibilities: 1. Confirmation bias. I had just spent $1500 on my new Clears so they damn well better be better. 2. Could Sonarworks have improved their eq profile for the Elears? 3. My hearing has changed. I am a semi old fart.

Whatever the reason, as soon as I realized this new reality I put my Clears up for sale (and I just sold them). It was also at almost this same exact time that I realized there was a new player, the Clear Mg. They had literally become available that day. Well, hell, I have to try them so I ordered them right then and there and received them the next day. These absolutely need 10-12 hrs of break-in time but once past that, they are bliss, at least for me. And Sonarworks doesn't even have an eq profile for these yet (I have requested one thru their in-app tool). You can try either the OG Clear one or, for a different flavor, the Elear one. Either sound pretty darned good.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2021 at 3:30 PM Post #25 of 47
What is the difference between Focal Clear and Focal Elear?
I have both Elear's and Clear Pro's

The coil is slightly different (Aluminium 80ohms on Elear's and copper 55ohms on Clear's), the pads and the packaging. My Clear pro comes with 2 good cables and an extra pair of pads, besides a nice case. The Elear's only comes with one 3m cable and a big luxury box, wich only takes space in my wardrobe.

Their build is exactly the same, despite of diferent paintwork. They have also the same driver diaphragm and acoustic chamber.

Soundwise, they are very close. I found some little differences, but they have more in common than differences. And when you put Clear's pads on Elear's, the sound gets even closer of each other. I noticed some differents on midrange textures and Elear's seems to be brighter e has faster transients, wich brings up more details.

But just to say: Untrained, or lightly trained ears, are uncapable to tell the difference between them in a blind test.

Jun 11, 2021 at 6:01 PM Post #26 of 47
But just to say: Untrained, or lightly trained ears, are uncapable to tell the difference between them in a blind test.
That's just not true at all. My ears are not "trained", whatever that means to you, but as I posted above a few months ago I had both Elear and Clear at the same time and compared them pretty extensively. I could easily tell the difference between them as the Clear is obviously more extended in the highs. I'm not saying the Clear is better in any absolute terms, but there IS an obvious difference. Anyone that can't tell the difference should probably have their hearing checked as I suspect they may have some upper frequency losses. I'm not being facetious about that.

Sep 19, 2021 at 1:00 AM Post #27 of 47
I have the Elear and OG Clear (and recently sold my Elegia and also have a Senn 6xx). IMHO, the Clears are heads and tails above the Elear. Not even close. I'll spare folks my hamfisted tonal descriptions and leave others to their knowledgeable opinions; but I find the assertion that the two headphones are in the same cost or performance circles to be eyebrow raising, at best. But, that's just my ears on my gear. So, yeah. Not nearly the same, at all, IMHO.

Jan 4, 2022 at 1:01 PM Post #28 of 47
Not at all. Looking for honest feedback. BTW, I agree with you regarding the 600 vs 650.

I have used their true-fi, and it was eye opening to say the least. Their approach to EQ works. Their market is geared more to sound professionals vs. audiophiles. That may account for the divergence.

Having said that, measurements don't lie. I would think a headphone that is 50% more retail price would measure better. This gets to a whole other discussion about measurements vs. perceived sound quality.
FR is not the only way to judge cans. My experience with mitigating ringing of my planars at frequencies which have no FR reason to be set - sometimes at peak, valley or even prove that FR is not the whole story. Look at bass. FR is a factor. What about Q? Impact? HEX v2 looks like it's got some kick ass bass. Deep, quick, clear, if Q not perfect, then it's close. But impact? I can't imagine anyone giving it better than a C+ (assuming thev've heard stuff like the E2, HE-6, etc.).

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2023 at 8:35 AM Post #29 of 47
I've been listening to Clears for about the last year or so but recently read that someone said that, if using Sonarworks Ref 4 for headphones, he actually preferred Elears. I've used Ref 4 for quite a while and personally swear by it. I still had my Elears so I tried them again, and I think he's on to something. The Clears definitely have a little more air and extension up top, but after A/B'ing them for quite a while I had to admit that I just enjoyed listening to the Elears more. When I originally got the Clears I remember thinking that they sounded like my beloved Elears, but with more refined upper frequencies and, yes, clarity that the Elears seemed to be missing. So what happened? I think it's likely to be one of three possibilities: 1. Confirmation bias. I had just spent $1500 on my new Clears so they damn well better be better. 2. Could Sonarworks have improved their eq profile for the Elears? 3. My hearing has changed. I am a semi old fart.

Whatever the reason, as soon as I realized this new reality I put my Clears up for sale (and I just sold them). It was also at almost this same exact time that I realized there was a new player, the Clear Mg. They had literally become available that day. Well, hell, I have to try them so I ordered them right then and there and received them the next day. These absolutely need 10-12 hrs of break-in time but once past that, they are bliss, at least for me. And Sonarworks doesn't even have an eq profile for these yet (I have requested one thru their in-app tool). You can try either the OG Clear one or, for a different flavor, the Elear one. Either sound pretty darned good.
I am bumping... How did you like the clear mg?

Mar 13, 2023 at 3:30 PM Post #30 of 47
I am bumping... How did you like the clear mg?
I loved them for quite a while. I learned how to make convolution filters that Roon could use and was quite happy with them using that. Eventually got the itch to try something new (this damned hobby) and tried Denon 9200's. I liked these just a little bit more so I sold the Clear Mg's. Made a new convolution filter for the Denons and was again quite happy for some time. Then HifiMan knocked $1K off the HE1000 V2 so I felt like I had to try them and they are indeed the best I've had as of yet. These are the first headphones I've had that I don't feel the need to Eq. The Denons are still my choice for closed-backs so I kept them, too. First time I've kept two premium headphones at once. My peripheral gear has been considerably upgraded since I had the Mg's, so it would be interesting to hear them again now. But if you like the Focal sound (and I do) then the Mg's are definitely ones you should try. From reviews I've read I'm doubtful I would like the Utopias (either one), so the Mg was about as high as I was willing to go in the range. The only other phones I'd like to try are the Meze Elite and HifiMan Susvara, though both would require some kind of price drop before I'd buy them, especially the Susvara.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back