Focal Elear and Utopia Review / Preview With Measurements - Head-Fi TV
Jun 6, 2017 at 3:30 AM Post #5,282 of 5,632
With regards to used prices... Ive been looking for a used pair and there are clear issues on how to solve any issues with the utopias as second owner, no 100% clear information really and uncertainty is never good, no matter where the truth lies. International warranty or even European and North American warranty covering warranty within the regions would be good and is common practice for many other products nowadays. However it's up to focal and just one of the things to take into consideration.. Myself trying to to find a pair as close to where I live as possible in case I need to send them back with the help of the seller.. However some prices seems just to low to be true... Like this on eBay http://www.ebay.fr/itm/302340986153

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2017 at 7:40 AM Post #5,283 of 5,632
and they sound even better with the HPC mkII ... using it since 6 months now, it adds a touch of warmth and bass extension that makes Utopia really sound glorious :ksc75smile:
(no hidden ad here, I'm just really very satisfied with the cable)

Good to know, copper does 'em justice. Though if an amplifier and DAC are of thick sort, silver could work as well.

Forza AudioWorks Stay updated on Forza AudioWorks at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://forzaaudioworks.com/en
Jun 6, 2017 at 5:41 PM Post #5,284 of 5,632
Update....I received my replacement Elear from FocalNA. Fantastic customer service. Great communication and updates, and they paid express shipping both ways. Can't ask for better.

Jun 6, 2017 at 6:01 PM Post #5,286 of 5,632
I wanted to add another comment regarding my replacement Utopias. When I purchased my initial set back in January my first listen was after using HD800S almost exclusively for quite some time. My initial reaction when I first switched to the Utopias was "where did the sound stage go?!". After acclimating to their sound signature the size sound stage became less of an issue as the positives of the Utopias became more apparent. Although smaller, I perceived the sound stage as simply more intimate but definitely more well defined with greater depth than the HD800S. I went back to the HD800S for a couple of weeks while awaiting the replacement. When I finally listened to the replacement I fully expected to hear a collapsed sound stage again and to my surprise it didn't happen. Instead the sound stage size sounded more enveloping compared to what I recall and didn't seem to lose out all that much to the HD800S in that respect. More forward than the HD800S but not necessarily far from it in width. It makes me wonder if Focal did some tweaking between my initial Utopias and the replacements. Probably just my perception. Either way I'm very pleased with what I'm hearing. Just hope they don't break again!

Jun 6, 2017 at 9:34 PM Post #5,287 of 5,632
I wanted to add another comment regarding my replacement Utopias. When I purchased my initial set back in January my first listen was after using HD800S almost exclusively for quite some time. My initial reaction when I first switched to the Utopias was "where did the sound stage go?!". After acclimating to their sound signature the size sound stage became less of an issue as the positives of the Utopias became more apparent. Although smaller, I perceived the sound stage as simply more intimate but definitely more well defined with greater depth than the HD800S. I went back to the HD800S for a couple of weeks while awaiting the replacement. When I finally listened to the replacement I fully expected to hear a collapsed sound stage again and to my surprise it didn't happen. Instead the sound stage size sounded more enveloping compared to what I recall and didn't seem to lose out all that much to the HD800S in that respect. More forward than the HD800S but not necessarily far from it in width. It makes me wonder if Focal did some tweaking between my initial Utopias and the replacements. Probably just my perception. Either way I'm very pleased with what I'm hearing. Just hope they don't break again!
Interesting, I was wondering the same thing. My replacement Elear seems a bit more spacious that the original. Personally, I always attribute better imaging and space to closer matched drivers.

Jun 6, 2017 at 10:50 PM Post #5,288 of 5,632
Interesting, I was wondering the same thing. My replacement Elear seems a bit more spacious that the original. Personally, I always attribute better imaging and space to closer matched drivers.

That is interesting. Maybe whatever defect we had that eventually caused our headphones to die were the cause of the less-spacious sound stage?

Jun 7, 2017 at 4:05 AM Post #5,289 of 5,632
The Utopia is just following the normal pattern for new TOTL releases. There is an element of FOTM that accelerates early adopter sales, followed by a relatively small percentage of early adopters selling them for various reasons. For some, the reality of the investment sinks in and they look to recoup what they can, for others, the headphone in question doesn't live up to the hyperbolic praise sometimes seen for new flagships. Others sell them off to get this month's new FOTM, or sell for other reasons. The vast majority of buyers like them and keep them, but it really doesn't take a lot of Used sales for supply to exceed demand.

This creates a short term oversupply temporarily driving down used prices. Once tbut he early adopter resales slow, the market returns to normal. It's definitely a recurring pattern. If you can live with or workaround the nontranferable warrenty, now is a good time to buy a lightly used set of Utopias.

very well said. I would add that the number of Utopia sold in the first months was apparently huge (in relative terms of course) and so even a small percentage of those early adopters selling the old-no-more-trendy toy is driving prices down.

Jun 13, 2017 at 12:38 AM Post #5,291 of 5,632
Hello everyone,
I am pretty sure I'm going get a Utopia/Yggy setup, but am not sure on the SS amp. I listen to mostly edm/deep house and rock/indie so I'm looking for something "musical"/dynamic and fast for a lack of better description, and under 3k is definitely preferred.
Any suggestions?

Jun 13, 2017 at 12:49 PM Post #5,292 of 5,632
If you're looking for a headphone to use for edm and rock I don't think you should be looking at the Utopia. Technically superior but with those genres it'll be about as appealing as the stock 800. For rock and EDM the most enjoyable I've personally used was the LCD 3c, LCD X, Abyss and perhaps the Fostex X00 purple. The thought of using the Utopia for EDM makes my toes curl.

Jun 13, 2017 at 1:25 PM Post #5,294 of 5,632
Hello everyone,
I am pretty sure I'm going get a Utopia/Yggy setup, but am not sure on the SS amp. I listen to mostly edm/deep house and rock/indie so I'm looking for something "musical"/dynamic and fast for a lack of better description, and under 3k is definitely preferred.
Any suggestions?
You pretty much described the Violectric house sound, you should definitely audition one if you have the opportunity.

V200: SE output
V280: Balanced
V281: Balanced with preamp

I can not help with the Yggy. However, I do have the Gumby/V280 combo and it's definitely musical and dynamic when paired with the Utopia IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back