Focal Elear and Utopia Review / Preview With Measurements - Head-Fi TV
Mar 29, 2017 at 2:55 PM Post #5,056 of 5,632
guess your order was sleeveless..give them a 10 mins evaluation as is if you may....I'm keen on your take actually

Well, out of the box, I'm a little surprised by the overall tonality of the cable. It doesn't really have the lean/bright sound that I typically associate with silver. It seems to be less smeary than the stock cable, but not to the same stunning night-and-day degree as the Danacable or Axios. It seems kind of rolled off in the upper registers and possesses just a hint of the glare and incoherent nature that I noticed with the Silver Dragon in really busy passages. There's enough there though, that I'll wait until the end of the recommended 150-hour break in period before I pass judgement. I've got ~48 hours on the cable at the moment and not much has changed so far.

Mar 29, 2017 at 3:21 PM Post #5,057 of 5,632
  Well, out of the box, I'm a little surprised by the overall tonality of the cable. It doesn't really have the lean/bright sound that I typically associate with silver. It seems to be less smeary than the stock cable, but not to the same stunning night-and-day degree as the Danacable or Axios. It seems kind of rolled off in the upper registers and possesses just a hint of the glare and incoherent nature that I noticed with the Silver Dragon in really busy passages. There's enough there though, that I'll wait until the end of the recommended 150-hour break in period before I pass judgement. I've got ~48 hours on the cable at the moment and not much has changed so far.

some people seem to have supersonic hearing able to discern the most minute differences among cables....I can tell a good DAC from a lessor one and can easily hear the differences between HP's but hard as i try i cannot discern the difference between say a Moon dragon cable and super expensive options...I had the Danacable and sold it because truly the difference between it and the much cheaper Moon Dragon was simply not audible to me or if it was it didnt impact the music enough to me,,,,,,

Mar 29, 2017 at 4:11 PM Post #5,058 of 5,632
  some people seem to have supersonic hearing able to discern the most minute differences among cables....I can tell a good DAC from a lessor one and can easily hear the differences between HP's but hard as i try i cannot discern the difference between say a Moon dragon cable and super expensive options...I had the Danacable and sold it because truly the difference between it and the much cheaper Moon Dragon was simply not audible to me or if it was it didnt impact the music enough to me,,,,,,

Everybody's sensitive to different things. I bet gear has something to do with it too. I preferred the stock cable to all the Moon Audio cables that I tried.

Mar 29, 2017 at 5:23 PM Post #5,059 of 5,632
interesting observation..promise it gets better over time (approximately 100hrs)

Apr 2, 2017 at 12:55 PM Post #5,060 of 5,632
I'm starting to think the 150h break-in recommendation for the Lavricable was conservative. I'm nearing that mark now and it's only in the last 12 hours or so that the upper registers feel like they've opened up. I can't really say anything definitive about this cable until it stops changing...

Apr 2, 2017 at 1:31 PM Post #5,061 of 5,632
I'm starting to think the 150h break-in recommendation for the Lavricable was conservative. I'm nearing that mark now and it's only in the last 12 hours or so that the upper registers feel like they've opened up. I can't really say anything definitive about this cable until it stops changing...
changing..please explain thoroughly your assertion if you may!

Apr 2, 2017 at 8:07 PM Post #5,063 of 5,632
changing..please explain thoroughly your assertion if you may!

I'd like to hear this too. Sounds very far fetched, do you have a issue with your source, or maybe you need to rearrange your kit, maybe there is bad voltage drop in your area...

Like I said earlier, my early impressions of the Lavricable were that it sounded rolled off on the high end. This morning I checked in on it and it seemed to have lost that rolled-off nature overnight. I don't think it's an issue with my kit; I just A/B/Ced the Lavricable with the Danacable and Axios and those both still sound like how I remember. If it sounds the same tomorrow, I'll probably post more definitive impressions and close out this period of cable demoing. Going into this process I was pretty skeptical on the concept of cable burn-in, but now it seems like a very real thing, though I don't have a rational explanation for what's going on.

Apr 2, 2017 at 11:49 PM Post #5,064 of 5,632

Like I said earlier, my early impressions of the Lavricable were that it sounded rolled off on the high end. This morning I checked in on it and it seemed to have lost that rolled-off nature overnight. I don't think it's an issue with my kit; I just A/B/Ced the Lavricable with the Danacable and Axios and those both still sound like how I remember. If it sounds the same tomorrow, I'll probably post more definitive impressions and close out this period of cable demoing. Going into this process I was pretty skeptical on the concept of cable burn-in, but now it seems like a very real thing, though I don't have a rational explanation for what's going on.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anchoring
Cable talk to the cable thread.

Apr 3, 2017 at 1:24 PM Post #5,065 of 5,632
  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anchoring
Cable talk to the cable thread.

That isn't how it works around here, although I sometimes think it should be the way. It would end the constant debate flare-ups about cables if the discussions were kept as much as possible in the cable forum. Those who don't believe that cables make a difference have to keep to themselves in the sound science forum. While I get the argument that the community is for the enjoyment of the hobby and people should be able to discuss things openly, the cable debate really causes never ending noise in so many threads over and over again, year after year that it would be nice to see those discussions officially encouraged to be limited to the dedicated forum.

Human nature being what it is, expecting people to not speak up if they don't believe in cables when those who do can go on and on about cables is unrealistic. Eventually somebody says something and the debate starts over again. I try to remain out of it as I do feel people should be able to enjoy whatever they enjoy, and if they feel spending money on cables is part of that enjoyment, who am I to tell them otherwise. But I also feel it is unrealistic to expect others with differing views to just suck it up and never be allowed to say anything either.

People critique and challenge each other daily about amps, DACs, sound signatures, which headphone measures better, what the measurements mean, but such a discussion surrounding cables is forbidden. So for me, seeing how this is such a charged and polarizing aspect of the hobby, and one that causes never ending thread noise, it would be nice if cable discussions did occur in the cable thread. People could simply post links in say this thread to say, hey, if you want to know what I think of cable xyz with the Utopia here is a link to the discussion in the cable thread. That seems like a reasonable and fair compromise. IMO only, I'm sure many won't agree. Ultimately I love head-fi and I would like it to remain a friendly and inclusive community so whatever policies or conventions get us there, I support it.

Apr 3, 2017 at 2:28 PM Post #5,066 of 5,632
That isn't how it works around here, although I sometimes think it should be the way. It would end the constant debate flare-ups about cables if the discussions were kept as much as possible in the cable forum. Those who don't believe that cables make a difference have to keep to themselves in the sound science forum. While I get the argument that the community is for the enjoyment of the hobby and people should be able to discuss things openly, the cable debate really causes never ending noise in so many threads over and over again, year after year that it would be nice to see those discussions officially encouraged to be limited to the dedicated forum.

Human nature being what it is, expecting people to not speak up if they don't believe in cables when those who do can go on and on about cables is unrealistic. Eventually somebody says something and the debate starts over again. I try to remain out of it as I do feel people should be able to enjoy whatever they enjoy, and if they feel spending money on cables is part of that enjoyment, who am I to tell them otherwise. But I also feel it is unrealistic to expect others with differing views to just suck it up and never be allowed to say anything either.

People critique and challenge each other daily about amps, DACs, sound signatures, which headphone measures better, what the measurements mean, but such a discussion surrounding cables is forbidden. So for me, seeing how this is such a charged and polarizing aspect of the hobby, and one that causes never ending thread noise, it would be nice if cable discussions did occur in the cable thread. People could simply post links in say this thread to say, hey, if you want to know what I think of cable xyz with the Utopia here is a link to the discussion in the cable thread. That seems like a reasonable and fair compromise. IMO only, I'm sure many won't agree. Ultimately I love head-fi and I would like it to remain a friendly and inclusive community so whatever policies or conventions get us there, I support it.
Mark, you know that there are many that just flat out say it's voodoo even though it's proven it's not. You also know that others bring up Rega how put out a 1 million dollar challenge for a blind test and when his challenge was taken he didn't agree with what a blind test is. So it's a subject that turns stupid to those that refuse to believe and those that do.

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Apr 3, 2017 at 3:56 PM Post #5,067 of 5,632
Mark, you know that there are many that just flat out say it's voodoo even though it's proven it's not. You also know that others bring up Rega how put out a 1 million dollar challenge for a blind test and when his challenge was taken he didn't agree with what a blind test is. So it's a subject that turns stupid to those that refuse to believe and those that do.

I know what you mean, and I wasn't trying to get at the heart of what is true or what isn't, as you say, even that is subjective. My only point was this never ending cable debate/discussions can really turn into noise and derail threads (like I'm doing now LOL) so I will stop after this post. My takeaway point is that there has to be a compromise solution for this. Maybe it is that those who don't believe have to suck it up, but they can argue that those who do believe can also suck it up and go discuss the topic in a dedicated forum.

I think a hybrid solution might be best for the community. I see it this way, the community is made up of many people, sometimes with competing agendas, needs etc. All contribute to the richness and diversity of use that makes for a true Internet community. For example, I respect the once cottage industry of custom cable makers who have worked their asses off to build up a business, or larger dealers such as yourself who may sell some of these products. Just because they have a commercial interest at times doesn't mean they don't really enrich the community in many ways. So I wouldn't want to see their revenue drop as they can't get word of mouth free advertising through forum posts. I also know that these people come from a genuine background of interest in this hobby and community so it is equally unfair to simply write them off as only interested in selling things. In my experience people are nicer than that, and far more complex so I certainly would never want it to seem that I want them to suffer.

I'm kind of a Ying and Yang guy, I like balance in things and as such I'm sure there is a way to find a compromise approach. I mean come on, surely even those who love cables and talking about them must be tired of it frequently in not most of the time turning into a debate? God knows I am. So how if at all can we as a community make the situation better for everybody?

I think having primary cable discussions in a dedicated forum and threads with allowing/encouraging posters to drop links in the other forums a perfectly valid hybrid approach. Here is my fictional example, lets use the thread we are in for an example:

OP: I'm really looking for a nice silver cable for my Utopia, in the past I really liked what I heard from using silver cables, but I'm not sure what would work with the Utopia. Do any of you here have a suggestion?

Reply: Hey ..... I recently tried a really nice Axios cable and I posted my impressions here [thread link] check it out if you like.

OP: Awesome, thanks I just read your post and that sounds like exactly what I'm looking for, I replied with another questions. Thanks

Problem solved, OP found his answer, Utopia thread didn't turn into a cable debate, everybody is happy.

Apr 3, 2017 at 3:57 PM Post #5,068 of 5,632

Please post the objective evidence that a properly built cable has been proven to make an audible difference.  Normally, I would stay out of the cable debate, but when a reseller states they have proof, I think it's fair to ask.

That aside, I'm with Sonic Defender.  Let's move the cable discussions to the cable forum.

Apr 3, 2017 at 4:00 PM Post #5,069 of 5,632

Please post the objective evidence that a properly built cable has been proven to make an audible difference.  Normally, I would stay out of the cable debate, but when a reseller states they have proof, I think it's fair to ask.

That aside, I'm with Sonic Defender.  Let's move the cable discussions to the cable forum.

Come on, lets not get into that. This is exactly why we have problems in this community around this issue. I really didn't want things to go this route. It is a circular argument/discussion where nobody is going to come off of their position, it is almost like religion in that sense. People believe because for them they have all the evidence they need which is fine.

Apr 3, 2017 at 4:05 PM Post #5,070 of 5,632

It's been posted over and over I'm not doing it again.

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back