Focal Elear and Utopia Review / Preview With Measurements - Head-Fi TV
Mar 26, 2017 at 12:23 PM Post #5,027 of 5,632
Oddly some might find it strange but I spend almost as much time with my Sony z1r's as they are my fav closed backs without any question.

Not odd at all to me, perfectly understandable I must say. Nice to hear that some who also have the Utopia still can appreciate the Z1R for what it brings to the table.

Mar 26, 2017 at 1:22 PM Post #5,028 of 5,632
My hi res who recordings sound pretty good actually. Tommy in 24 96 is actually very well recorded. Their earlier stuff isn't as good though.

​I have Tommy and some other Who SACD discs (including the Who Singles collection). Nothing sounds as natural, clear, fast, and non-fatiguing.
I'd love to abandon discs, but for this kind of music (classic and other types of rock/popular music from the golden era), nothing replicates SACD.
(I use EMM for playback.)
The HiRes downloads just can't compete to my ears. I had high hopes when I bought a bunch, but they just did not sound like SACD.

But it sure seems like any sort physical media is dead as a doornail except for vinyl-philes.

Mar 26, 2017 at 3:25 PM Post #5,029 of 5,632
I don't have the draug 2.C but have the draug 2 for my hd800S and love that combo as both hd800 and hd800S still suffer from the metallic bright top end which is eliminated with the draug2 for hd800S and almost 90% so for the hd800. The draug silver cable I have an 8ft'r for the he1000V2 and also one for the focal utopia's and find them to be incredible pairings. The utopia is a touch bright in general but it didn't make them brighter, only improved resolution and bass impact. Even the mids became improved. The silver draug is massive and well, very expensive but with zero compromise. I know for sure the draug2 or even draug2c would not compare with resolving resolution that the draug silver is capable of. What shocks me about the draug silver is that it's not a cable that will make your cans brighter, not the typical assumption one would have with silver. The draug2 or draug2C of being copper will be nice and meaty down low but have subtle roll off on the top end. Maybe preferred for the utopia if you have tinnitus. But the draug silver didn't make them sound brighter, only more delicate resolution.
I will have a draug2C in the near future for comparison. I have tons of Norne cables and my z1r's just got a S2 cable which was amazing for it. But I can't afford silver draug cables for all my headphones. I have too much headphones in fact and sadly letting one pair go to help fund new toys. Which? The hexV2 which I truly love it's intimate sound, but the utopia is able to deliver that intimate female vocal sound I really like and improved upon with near no distortion at all. I don't think I can let any of my cans go from here forth.
Utopia+draug silver = Pure utopia.

And I wanted to comment about the utopia's as a short impressions or short review to touch on its strong and weak points.

But I'm glad I got the utopia's as my first impressions of these headphones were one two very expensive setups at rmaf Denver and I honestly was super bummed out to hear them. First impressions were a small sound stage and lacking bass a touch but not bad. But under show conditions I couldn't really appreciate resolution or it could be the setups they were paired with possibly.
I do not regret buying the utopia as I find myself wanting to spend more time with them for one main reason... speed and decay of instruments are impressive! Especially strings, drums etc... the soundstage is indeed smaller but not nearly as bad I recall from my first impressions. The other thing that impresses me about these utopia's are the layering of instruments doesn't sound congested in the smaller sound stage... this amazed me as it further shows how advanced these dynamic drivers are. Focal has a winner but I still think headphones should never cost this much. I find hd800S a better value. Oddly some might find it strange but I spend almost as much time with my Sony z1r's as they are my fav closed backs without any question. They are a little colored but in a very very fun way.
My wife hasn't spent time with the utopia's yet but she already hates them in the way they leak sound more than any open back we have heard. I was a bit embarrassed how loud I was listening to them the other night.... my wife came into my office from the other room as said she thought I had speakers on in the room. I think just as much sound comes out the sides as does the insides.

But the last issue I have with the utopia is comfort is a little lacking only due to weight. It's a touch to heavy for my limit on weight. In fact I have a neck problem and can't really wear heavy headphones more than a few hours before fatigue sets in. The utopia's are a bit over the limit for me yet the pads are very comfy and they do breathe well which is a major plus. The older style tradition headband would be nicer if it was a head strap like hifiman. Just my opinion. And if they were around 400grams even would be preferable.

That's my short review of my utopia's thus far.

How would you compare Utopia vs HE1000? 

Mar 26, 2017 at 10:52 PM Post #5,030 of 5,632
Anyone sensitive to headphone weight owes it to themselves to try the HE1000v2. I love the sonics on their own and I also love the feather-weight and lack of clamping (and there is no ear-confinement).

Mar 27, 2017 at 6:17 PM Post #5,035 of 5,632
Mar 28, 2017 at 10:54 AM Post #5,037 of 5,632

Users who are viewing this thread

Back