Focal Elear and Utopia Review / Preview With Measurements - Head-Fi TV
Mar 4, 2017 at 7:07 PM Post #4,696 of 5,632

Head-fi is and will remain amazing for one thing. It's the only place where people will argue with you on why they should actually pay more! or trying to justify why things are really expensive, to the point of non sense. Fantastic! I already had a similar discussion on the price of the Utopia but quickly gave up. 

The wire I used might "only" be 24awg solid core but it's silver-gold... should be quite more expensive than copper. I could also use 4x10AWG cryo UPOCC copper from Neotech (power cable) and still remain awfully far from the $1000 mark... Anyway... Headfiers are excellent at judging equipment, dissecting the sound, criticizing the tonality. One can not expect the same mindset when it comes to discuss the economics of things. 

Mar 4, 2017 at 7:22 PM Post #4,697 of 5,632
Head-fi is and will remain amazing for one thing. It's the only place where people will argue with you on why they should actually pay more! or trying to justify why things are really expensive, to the point of non sense. Fantastic! I already had a similar discussion on the price of the Utopia but quickly gave up. 

The wire I used might "only" be 24awg solid core but it's silver-gold... should be quite more expensive than copper. I could also use 4x10AWG cryo UPOCC copper from Neotech (power cable) and still remain awfully far from the $1000 mark... Anyway... Headfiers are excellent at judging equipment, dissecting the sound, criticizing the tonality. One can not expect the same mindset when it comes to discuss the economics of things. 

I am not saying that the Copper UPOCC to be retailed 1k is justified....I am saying it is possible to spend 1k+ on a cables even if you make it yourself. I know it, because I do it. More importantly, this is my personal question, where did you get those wires for such cheap prices ?

I can not get a 10' silver-gold for any cheaper than $450...because these Mundorf you are talking about is not that cheap to me, and then those connectors are not cheap either. Unless, I use knockoff cheap Chinese made one, but there is no such things for Utopia

Mar 4, 2017 at 7:28 PM Post #4,698 of 5,632
  You should spend proportionally on cables. If you have 50,000 dollars to buy a system, then are you going to use 40 dollar interconnects ? No, you're not. That's what those cables are for, people that have the cash. 

Do not feel like you have to buy those cables. There are solid cables in a price range that makes sense for your system. 

And despite what many say, cables do matter 

With all this talk about custom cables I can't help but wonder why would Focal go through four years of R and D, use expensive marerials like Berylium, Carbon Fiber, etc.. and skimp on the cable?

I,mean, is the stock cable that bad?

Mar 4, 2017 at 7:31 PM Post #4,699 of 5,632
With all this talk about custom cables I can't help but wonder why would Focal go through four years of R and D, use expensive marerials like Berylium, Carbon Fiber, etc.. and skimp on the cable?

No, stock cables is not bad, but it is made SE, too long, and is Copper materials. I converted stock cables to Balanced, and it is excellent copper cables. It has a " real Shield" instead of braiding geometry :D. However, Silver or Silver-gold wires are both more expensive and superior in performance Vs copper

The stock cables are well engineered in my opinion, experiences over the years of making and tinkering with cables

Mar 4, 2017 at 7:44 PM Post #4,700 of 5,632
I am not saying that the Copper UPOCC to be retailed 1k is justified....I am saying it is possible to spend 1k+ on a cables even if you make it yourself. I know it, because I do it. More importantly, this is my personal question, where did you get those wires for such cheap prices ?

I can not get a 10' silver-gold for any cheaper than $450...because these Mundorf you are talking about is not that cheap to me, and then those connectors are not cheap either. Unless, I use knockoff cheap Chinese made one, but there is no such things for Utopia
what name do you trade under and are they branded....

Mar 4, 2017 at 7:45 PM Post #4,701 of 5,632
No, stock cables is not bad, but it is made SE, too long, and is Copper materials. I converted stock cables to Balanced, and it is excellent copper cables. It has a " real Shield" instead of braiding geometry
biggrin.gif
. However, Silver or Silver-gold wires are both more expensive and superior in performance Vs copper

I agree that the stock cable is too long, and I would be willing to try some aftermarket cables, but my Utopia are far from being buned in, so it's too early for me to make a decision.

Mar 4, 2017 at 7:51 PM Post #4,702 of 5,632
what name do you trade under and are they branded....

I only DIY as a hobby and am obsessed in getting/seeking for the better sound performances. I don't make cables as a business or audio equipments :). Though, I do sometimes help the people I know for getting what they want. Ofcourse I always use certified and branded materials. Even solders that I use are high silver+copper contents :D . This is my Silver-gold cables for Utopia, and no...materials wise, it doesn't cost $300....it is 2.5X that number

Mar 5, 2017 at 3:00 AM Post #4,704 of 5,632

-  def agree... the Utopia needs lots of burn in.  whereas the LCD-4 needs little to none.  the brightness of the Utopia gets significantly less over time. 

-  i find the Utopia benefits from a quality copper cable (i use Black Dragon) to give it more warmth.  i use a silver cable (Silver Dragon) with the LCD-4 to lift its veil a bit, add a touch more clarity and air.

but to each their own!

Same experience here. I initially thought that Utopia didn't need so much burn-in....I was definitely wrong. Bass and sub-bass get out much better, highs gets more refined. Same also for the cable, I'm using a FAW HPC2 (cryo UPOCC copper), and I think it's a really good match.

Mar 5, 2017 at 10:19 AM Post #4,705 of 5,632
IMO both the Dana Lazuli Reference and the Heimdall II are excellent with my Utopia they just are two different flavors. To me the Heimdall is very transparent, detailed and airy without loosing musicality while the Lazuli Reference is more I would call romantic or organic without loosing any detail. So it really depends on your upstream equipment, your sound taste and in my case mood at that specific listening session.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Mar 5, 2017 at 12:55 PM Post #4,706 of 5,632

there is nothing wrong with the stock cable other than the fact that it is as long and heavy as a garden hose...if it were 8 feet instead of 13 it would be fine option

Mar 5, 2017 at 1:06 PM Post #4,707 of 5,632

I agree that the stock cable is too long, and I would be willing to try some aftermarket cables, but my Utopia are far from being buned in, so it's too early for me to make a decision.

Is it just me or did Focal adjust the length of their cable? I bought my Elear in France and the cable that came with was 10' long, not 13'.... New batch? 

Mar 5, 2017 at 1:12 PM Post #4,708 of 5,632
.....More importantly, this is my personal question, where did you get those wires for such cheap prices ?

I'm procuring my wire from Qables in the Netherlands. 11ish euros a meter. Can't beat that in North America. 
I'm using Viablue connectors. They're good enough for me. I also use silver plated neutrik 4 pins XLR. I can't justify the cost of Furutech for example. I'll post a picture of my finished cable. Looks pretty good to me. More importantly, it does sound very very good. 

Mar 5, 2017 at 2:41 PM Post #4,710 of 5,632

Users who are viewing this thread

Back