Focal Elear and Utopia Review / Preview With Measurements - Head-Fi TV
Feb 25, 2017 at 3:29 AM Post #4,591 of 5,632
The problem with that plan is that you'll always miss all the details and goodness that you can only get with the Utopia and want to go back to it.
evil_smiley.gif

Feb 25, 2017 at 4:02 AM Post #4,592 of 5,632
Oh I know! I just had another listen to the utopia and they are magical! I actually think the amp may be the issue.

I'm currently running a Beyerdynamic A1 but that has a 100ohm output impedence to better match the T1 etc. It certainly makes my T90's sing but not ideal for lower impedence cans like the Utopia.

I may try the Questyle CMA600i with them and continue to burn in in the meantime.

Feb 25, 2017 at 10:08 AM Post #4,593 of 5,632
Oh I know! I just had another listen to the utopia and they are magical! I actually think the amp may be the issue.

I'm currently running a Beyerdynamic A1 but that has a 100ohm output impedence to better match the T1 etc. It certainly makes my T90's sing but not ideal for lower impedence cans like the Utopia.

I may try the Questyle CMA600i with them and continue to burn in in the meantime.

I did not drive the Utopia using a tube amp yet, but I think that tubes amps are the best match for the Utopia.

Feb 25, 2017 at 1:32 PM Post #4,595 of 5,632

I think allowing the burn in process to complete, is the key. I don't know how many TOTL IEM's I was ready to sell after 10 hrs. of listening...200+ hours later they've become family members and will never be sold, ...they sound sooooo good.

Feb 25, 2017 at 5:17 PM Post #4,596 of 5,632
I think allowing the burn in process to complete, is the key. I don't know how many TOTL IEM's I was ready to sell after 10 hrs. of listening...200+ hours later they've become family members and will never be sold, ...they sound sooooo good.

I've Just come back from a mission to listen to some different amp's (at the rather wonderful High End Headphones-if you're in the uk I'd highly recommend a visit) and have pulled the trigger on a Trilogy 931. Fantastic amp! I tried a few (Questyle CMA600i, Bryston BHA1 and the Trilogy 933 as well as the 931) and very nearly went with the Bryston-lovely warm sound-but preferred the detail of the Trilogy. Interesting despite the rave reviews didn't like the Questyle at all.

I also took the opportunity to put my Utopia's with 20 or so hours on against their demo pair with several hundred hours on them and I can categorical state on the Utopia at least burn in does matter.

Mine sounded very nice but their pair was a lot more open with even greater nuance and detail.

I also took the opportunity to A/B with the Elear and unfortunately (for my bank balance at least) I don't think there is any going back, I still think £ for £ the Elear is one of the best headphones out there but people ardent kidding when they say only listen to the Utopia if you can afford them!

That said I did try the Hifiman HE1000 and whilst clearly not as technically capable I did enjoy them very much-particularly on more laid back music. Could see me floating away for hours on those!

Feb 26, 2017 at 3:11 AM Post #4,597 of 5,632

I suggest you try also the Taurus MKII. Not the perfect amp, actually I've listened to better SS amps, and with my other cans I do prefer something else, but it really shows an incredible synergy with my Utopia. Quite strange, but that's so.....
To put in context: I'm using a Vega (filter2, exact clock, vol 90) connected with UPOCC Silver XLR to Taurus MKII. utopia cable is a FAW HPC2
I prefer the above to my main rig (Analog-custom 300B SE, same cables)

Feb 26, 2017 at 3:17 AM Post #4,598 of 5,632

I did not drive the Utopia using a tube amp yet, but I think that tubes amps are the best match for the Utopia.

From a theoretical pov, I fully agree, Tubes-Utopia should be a perfet match. From a practical pv, I've listened to a couple of different high-end VT amps, all 300B based, and the impression is that Utopia can scale more..... maybe it's just that the 300B used are not the best fit, and I've already ordered a 2A3 amp.......

Feb 26, 2017 at 3:40 AM Post #4,599 of 5,632
From a theoretical pov, I fully agree, Tubes-Utopia should be a perfet match. From a practical pv, I've listened to a couple of different high-end VT amps, all 300B based, and the impression is that Utopia can scale more..... maybe it's just that the 300B used are not the best fit, and I've already ordered a 2A3 amp.......

Sounds fantastic with my Studio Six, no scaling left I'd say :)

Feb 26, 2017 at 4:19 AM Post #4,601 of 5,632
I've been mulling a tube amp but have decided that domestically it's not the best fit atm.

Curious toddler, lunatic puppy, even madder cat etc mean I'm just nervous about its longevity.

I'm surprised there is not much information on the Trilogy amps on this forum. The design philosophy is interesting - single ended solid state, only one output device per channel and fully discrete (no op amps at all). The owner and designer of Trilogy also runs Isol-8 so knows a thing or two about good clean power supplies also.

Full info here: http://www.trilogyaudio.com/931.html

It worked really well with the Utopia. Incredibly detailed but not sterile, beautiful staging and imaging with a lot of space around individual instruments and could handle complex passages with ease.

Oh and did I say I tried a few lesser phones and yes the Utopia really is that good compared to them (I could also have tried any Stax, the Abyss and LCD 4 in my own high end shoot out but a) ran out of time and b) didn't quite see the point as I am completely happy with the Utopia).

Interestingly the owners of High End Headphones, who can essentially use any headphone on the planet, listen to the Utopia when having a headphone session and have swapped had 9 people trade in their LCD 4's for them.

In their opinion only the Stax SR009 comes close but whilst the 009 at its best is better it isn't the all rounder the Utopia is.

Feb 26, 2017 at 5:24 AM Post #4,603 of 5,632
I can't unfortunately as I am passing on someone else's opinion but they feel that the Stax are utterly transparent and on suitable music were untouchable but for something that did something's utterly brilliantly and everything at the very least very well the Utopia had it.

Admittedly this wasn't using the Kgsshv but then we're in a completely different price bracket and accessibility becomes a factor also as the better electrostatic energisers are rarer and more expensive beasts than a good normal headphone amp.

Feb 26, 2017 at 7:30 AM Post #4,604 of 5,632
I've been mulling a tube amp but have decided that domestically it's not the best fit atm.

Curious toddler, lunatic puppy, even madder cat etc mean I'm just nervous about its longevity.

I'm surprised there is not much information on the Trilogy amps on this forum. The design philosophy is interesting - single ended solid state, only one output device per channel and fully discrete (no op amps at all). The owner and designer of Trilogy also runs Isol-8 so knows a thing or two about good clean power supplies also.

I was able to audition the latest MicroZOTL2 fed power from an Illuminati power supply. I went immediately for my Utopia headphones to listen. It was quite an appealing sound. Source was a Yggdrasil, if that matters - same as my source. Point being the tubes in the MicroZOTL2 are enclosed, so as to be far from cats and dogs.

Feb 26, 2017 at 8:27 PM Post #4,605 of 5,632
I can state emphatically that the sound I have experienced since Friday (just a few short listening sessions) with the Eddie Current Zana Deux S has been fantastic with the Philips Miniwatt ECC 35 and the RCA 5691 Red Base tubes / valves. I am afraid to plug it in to the Trafomatic Head2 amp that I'm holding for my friend......I sincerely would hate to have to keep it :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back