Focal Elear and Utopia Review / Preview With Measurements - Head-Fi TV
Sep 16, 2016 at 10:00 AM Post #3,016 of 5,632

What do you mean not Yggy? Just out of curiosity. And is how is your review coming along?

The Yggdrasil is a superb DAC. I would say exceptional at it's price point.

What I'm saying is that there are other upstream components and DACs specifically (a number of great ones out there) that will reward an owner of the Utopia, should they be willing to spend (generally) much more to get incremental gains in performance, per their preferences.

BTW, the Yggy isn't going anywhere, though I might add another DAC in the near future. What I need to focus on right now is upgrading my source/processing before it hits the DAC.

The Utopias are coming into their own at this time. Had an amazing listening session last night playing 'Miles_Gurtu' (Robert Miles & Trilok Gurtu).

Sep 16, 2016 at 6:38 PM Post #3,018 of 5,632

Another fantastic review for the Utopia!  Thanks for sharing!

I would say they are pretty much on. After over 300 hours on mine, the bass that I was a tiny bit concerned about is spot on and then for the rest of the musical landscape, well the Utopia just do it right. I don't get music behind me like many phones but in front and to the sides but not hard panned right and left. I am using Whiplash Twau cable, which improved the sound over the good cable that comes with the phones. The combination adds up to one great musical adventure. 

Sep 17, 2016 at 12:53 PM Post #3,019 of 5,632
  Score!  Based on the Walrus confirming the T1 cable works with the Elear, I found this cable for less the $20.  I have the same cable for my HD650 headphones (though the brand for that is called NewFantasia) and it works well for casual use.  They offer it in a few sizes: 1.2m, 1.5m, 2m, and 3m.  I'll receive it on Saturday and will let everyone know if it works.

Sadly, this cable didn't work after all.  On the cable the signal is carried to both the tip & ring on the headphone end, but on the Elear the ground connects to both the sleeve & ring, so the signal is shorted.

I don't know if there's an informal standard in the headphone world on using a TRS plug for a mono signal, so it's hard to say which device isn't following the 'rules'.  I'm curious how the factory Beyedynamics T1 cable is wired, since the Walrus reported it works with the Elear.

Lesson to be learned: not all headphone cables will work with the Elear, though they may physically fit.  And when making your own, avoid wiring anything to the ring.

Sep 17, 2016 at 2:45 PM Post #3,020 of 5,632

Sadly, this cable didn't work after all.  On the cable the signal is carried to both the tip & ring on the headphone end, but on the Elear the ground connects to both the sleeve & ring, so the signal is shorted.

I don't know if there's an informal standard in the headphone world on using a TRS plug for a mono signal, so it's hard to say which device isn't following the 'rules'.  I'm curious how the factory Beyedynamics T1 cable is wired, since the Walrus reported it works with the Elear.

Lesson to be learned: not all headphone cables will work with the Elear, though they may physically fit.  And when making your own, avoid wiring anything to the ring.

Not good :frowning2:
On T1's original cable, all three poles from both L and R are carried throughout the cable and shorted on the connector. Of course you need 3 poles per channel only for the balanced cable. So, maybe the cable you buy shorts it out on the plug that goes to the headphone and that causes the problem??

Sep 17, 2016 at 4:36 PM Post #3,021 of 5,632
I've reached 140 hours with the Utopia. Amazing experience thus far.

I'm sure this has been discussed within 200+ pages... What are people finding to be a good break-in target?

Sep 17, 2016 at 4:46 PM Post #3,022 of 5,632
  Twerk,I think you mis-understood,
We had a great conversation about Focal,and both their headphones,for me,it was extremely educational,and I will definitely contact him again ,when,if,I upgrade-he knew right from the beginning ,that I had no intention of spending $4K-end of story...but,
At least he tried-LOL,,meantime,my headphones are en route,& will be here in a few days.
To others,contemplating buying a Focal headphone,the other seller,a major chain..told me that my estimated delivery,will be 30-60 days,& even then,,could be longer???
Later for that.

Interesting. So the Utopia start shipping around October / November if you don't buy it at Jason / in the USA?

Sep 17, 2016 at 4:59 PM Post #3,023 of 5,632
I've reached 140 hours with the Utopia. Amazing experience thus far.

I'm sure this has been discussed within 200+ pages... What are people finding to be a good break-in target?

Some say as long as 200+ hours, but the jury is out with me. I look at it from a practical standpoint with regard to the materials and design. Think about it... they are using Beryllium for its rigidity, damping characteristic, and light weight. The surround is less than the thickness of a human hair. I don't think the dome will get harder and I certainly don't think it would get softer. Also, how much can a surround that's thinner than a human hair 'break in'?

Personally, it's taken me a while to appreciate the sound signature (or lack of) from the Utopia, and it's also taken me some time to really appreciate the technicalities of the headphone with a variety of music. I wouldn't say the signature has changed much at all from day one for me, but I have been becoming more familiar with it over time.

Not to say I don't discount burn-in though. The ETHER Flow I have definately needs burn-in on the v-planar driver. Indeed, they sounded stiff and slightly veiled when I first received them and they are absolutely opening up and changing over time, as noted by Dan Clark they need burn-in.

Sep 17, 2016 at 5:09 PM Post #3,025 of 5,632

Interesting. So the Utopia start shipping around October / November if you don't buy it at Jason / in the USA?

exactly,,I had an order with them as well,which I immediately cancelled..they had none available ,but a few days later a shipment came in from France-I think?
I contacted Jason,ordered the Elear's and they were shipped out 14 hours later,just as he said they would...I get them on Monday

I'm not sure what up with the Utopia's..best to check with your seller.
It hurts to drop $4K on a headphone,and have to wait 60 days

Sep 17, 2016 at 10:54 PM Post #3,027 of 5,632

The Elear uses mono plugs, not stereo ones, so the problem is the cable not the headphone.  On the mono plugs, you have only tip and ring/sleeve so the wiring you noted for the headphone side makes perfect sense.

Sep 18, 2016 at 12:13 AM Post #3,028 of 5,632
I'd say the same thing if the headphones were free. - Not to mention, hours designing, parts supplied to make the headphones were also free.

I highly doubt anyone prefers a 100.00 headphone to a 3,000 headphone. If there is one, I'd call it a giant killer and they are very few in all price ranges. You can't just look at this subject from a consumer perspective and say "sound has nothing to do with price". I'm sure the ones selling you the headphones also put much though into research and devlopment.

What your saying is like how good a food taste like has nothing to do with price. But generally speaking, a 100.00 steak would taste better than one you pick up for 5 bucks.

Your livin' a dream my man if you think otherwise.

I doubt an HD650 would have gotten such praise if it were priced at 3,000.00 introductory price. Reason why it's so popular is because it's so cheap for somewhat of an audiophille sound. So it goes back to pricing, again.

:D.

Extra R&D, specialized parts, specialized machinery to produce those parts, exotic materials. Marketing, they all add to the cost. I prefer the money going to R&D and materials rather than marketing but hey...

Having said that I have yet to see a beryllium dome in a $100 can. Actually how many headphones have a beryllium dome?

Let's bring in the ceramic and diamond ones I say bring it on! Time to shake things up in the headphone world...

Sep 18, 2016 at 12:49 AM Post #3,029 of 5,632

The Elear uses mono plugs, not stereo ones, so the problem is the cable not the headphone.  On the mono plugs, you have only tip and ring/sleeve so the wiring you noted for the headphone side makes perfect sense.

Maybe you haven't noticed, but all the after-market cable makers are using TRS plugs for the Elears, as are manufacturers of other headphones who went with a 3.5mm jack.  It baffles me why they chose to do so since there's only two connections to the speaker.  I'm guessing maybe because TRS plugs are more common.

When using a TRS plug for a mono connection, you have three choices: connect the Ring to Sleeve, connect the Ring to Tip, or don't connect the Ring at all.  Typically, it shouldn't matter since a mono jack contacts the plug at the Sleeve and Tip, and avoids contact at the Ring, but sometimes a stereo jack is used for a mono connection, and the Ring is used as a way to "sense" when a plug is inserted.

I would have expected the Elear to work regardless of what signal was carried on the Ring, but maybe they were designing it for if someone used a true balanced TRS cable, since the negative/cold signal is carried on the Ring and should be tied to ground for unbalanced connections.  Maybe this a standard approach in the headphone world.  I'm more familiar with pro audio, where you'd never connect a balanced cable to a speaker.

Sep 18, 2016 at 12:56 AM Post #3,030 of 5,632

Maybe you haven't noticed, but all the after-market cable makers are using TRS plugs for the Elears, as are manufacturers of other headphones who went with a 3.5mm jack.  It baffles me why they chose to do so since there's only two connections to the speaker.  I'm guessing maybe because TRS plugs are more common.

When using a TRS plug for a mono connection, you have three choices: connect the Ring to Sleeve, connect the Ring to Tip, or don't connect the Ring at all.  Typically, it shouldn't matter since a mono jack contacts the plug at the Sleeve and Tip, and avoids contact at the Ring, but sometimes a stereo jack is used for a mono connection, and the Ring is used as a way to "sense" when a plug is inserted.

I would have expected the Elear to work regardless of what signal was carried on the Ring, but maybe they were designing it for if someone used a true balanced TRS cable, since the negative/cold signal is carried on the Ring and should be tied to ground for unbalanced connections.  Maybe this a standard approach in the headphone world.  I'm more familiar with pro audio, where you'd never connect a balanced cable to a speaker.

You're correct, I haven't noticed.  I don't own an Elear nor have I shopped around for aftermaket cables for it at all (much less looked at "all" of them).  But I do know that if the original cable is mono and the aftermarket cable isn't, the problem isn't with the Elear.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back