Focal Elear and Utopia Review / Preview With Measurements - Head-Fi TV
Sep 7, 2016 at 7:33 PM Post #2,671 of 5,632
Pretty much everything frequency-response-wise. The emphasized areas are essentially different across the entire spectrum. The Elear sounds a bit more like a well-amped HD650.

They are basically polar opposites among the headphones that sort of orbit the concept of neutrality without actually being neutral - the T1 being a little too bright, thin and U-shaped to be neutral and the Elear being a little too thick, syrupy and n-shaped to be neutral.

Without attempting to draw, their frequency response graphs look a little something like this:

T1.1 FR: -u-^-
Elear FR: -nv--

Thanks for the reply to my question.

Eventually, i hope to have the opportunity to audition the Elear and maybe downsize the collection a little. I may have to put the PM2, T1.2 and TH900 on probation.

Sep 7, 2016 at 7:59 PM Post #2,672 of 5,632
Thanks for the reply to my question.

Eventually, i hope to have the opportunity to audition the Elear and maybe downsize the collection a little. I may have to put the PM2, T1.2 and TH900 on probation.

Keep T1.2 

Sep 7, 2016 at 8:41 PM Post #2,673 of 5,632
Got a shipping notification for my Utopia 
eek.gif

Wasn't expecting them for another month at least! 

Should be here tomorrow now. What a way to brighten the day. 

Sep 7, 2016 at 9:45 PM Post #2,674 of 5,632
Got a shipping notification for my Utopia :eek:

Wasn't expecting them for another month at least! 

Should be here tomorrow now. What a way to brighten the day. 

I bet you're going to LOVE them!!!! Congrats! :)

If you hate them, don't blame me, LOL

Sep 7, 2016 at 10:33 PM Post #2,676 of 5,632
Receiving mine tomorrow as well
This Saturday, I'll be hosting a group of 20 close people at my place to audition the Utopia :)
They'll get to compare it with the HD800S

I like the way you party! I wish I had friends like that, but alas they think I'm crazy for spending my money on headphones. Only you guys understand my audiophile struggles. Be sure to post your impressions!

Sep 7, 2016 at 11:44 PM Post #2,679 of 5,632
I like the way you party! I wish I had friends like that, but alas they think I'm crazy for spending my money on headphones. Only you guys understand my audiophile struggles. Be sure to post your impressions!

There are plenty of head-fi'ers in your neck of the woods.  There was a demo Utopia up in Portland not too long ago.  Don't give up hope!

Sep 8, 2016 at 12:04 AM Post #2,680 of 5,632
Anyone know when the Elear is shipping or is it shipping now and I'm just not looking in the right place? Or is the pre-order actually just order and they ship when they come in stock?

Also I have the mojo and was wondering what solution people are using for cables 13ft of cable terminated in a 1/4inch jack as the only cable seems like a bit much to me. Might just buy some ends and cut the cable down into 2 cables...

Sep 8, 2016 at 12:15 AM Post #2,681 of 5,632
Anyone know when the Elear is shipping or is it shipping now and I'm just not looking in the right place? Or is the pre-order actually just order and they ship when they come in stock?

Also I have the mojo and was wondering what solution people are using for cables 13ft of cable terminated in a 1/4inch jack as the only cable seems like a bit much to me. Might just buy some ends and cut the cable down into 2 cables...

The Source AV has been selling them for a while now. If you're in the states give them a call.

Sep 8, 2016 at 12:34 AM Post #2,682 of 5,632
Just heard the Utopia yesterday. Listened with a Cowon S and a Chord Dave (optical out from the cowon).

This is it and you don't need a massive amp. Other headphones can eat crow... There you have it. Haven't been this smitten with a headphone since the k1000 - but I think this is better!

Sep 8, 2016 at 12:43 AM Post #2,683 of 5,632
Just heard the Utopia yesterday. Listened with a Cowon S and a Chord Dave (optical out from the cowon).

This is it and you don't need a massive amp. Other headphones can eat crow... There you have it. Haven't been this smitten with a headphone since the k1000 - but I think this is better!

You had me at "this is it"! I'm trying to see if my dealer has any left in stock and hoping to hear back from him tomorrow. I'm ready to take the plunge into headphone greatness. Sorry wallet, no soup for you!

Sep 8, 2016 at 5:17 AM Post #2,684 of 5,632
I checked out the Elear at Canjam. The mid suckout is too much for my taste. It tends to change the timbre of string instruments in a weird way.

Trying the Utopia just next to it was a night and day difference. My goodness this headphone is good. Much better than my HD800S which has recessed mids I simply cannot get used to.

Gotta sell a whole lot of stuff to afford the exorbitant price tag though!

Sep 8, 2016 at 5:39 AM Post #2,685 of 5,632
When you say the mids are sucked out, what is that in relation to?

I mean, many claim the elear as a very mid centric sound with softer treble, relatively speaking. Does it sacrifice mids for bass? In other words, what in your opinion takes the emphasis in order to recess the mid range, Muse?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back