Focal Elear and Utopia Review / Preview With Measurements - Head-Fi TV
Jul 26, 2016 at 11:35 AM Post #1,201 of 5,632

If the TH-900 is a 10/10 in bass quantity, then I would put the HD 800S at a 5/10 in quantity. And purely subjectively, I would put the Elear at a 7.5/10 and the Utopia at a 7/10 in bass quantity.

But my personal ideal for bass quantity is the TH-X00, which I would rate as a 8.5/10.

That's actually really useful, thank you for sharing!

7.5 for the Elear sounds like a good amount of quantity, I like my bass but given the Elear would most likely become my go-to headphones I'd hate to have to deal with too much of it for certain genres. Hoping to find some nice TH-X00 Purplehearts within Europe for fun sort of like a mini TH900 once they start hitting the market, was incredibly tempted to join in on it when it first came out on Massdrop but having to deal with customs inspections for up to several weeks on top of the MD manufacture/shipping times and then having to pay an extra $200 in taxes and handling was enough to talk myself out of it. They are beautiful, too.

Jul 26, 2016 at 12:16 PM Post #1,205 of 5,632
What about the elear? I'm considering to buy a pair of elears as an upgrade from HD6X0. 
I'll hopefully get a demo this weekend

Jul 26, 2016 at 12:30 PM Post #1,206 of 5,632
You'd be surprised! The Utopia's bass is tight, clean and impactful.

Yep.  The drivers that the Elear and the Utopia use are pretty much the first of their kind. 

A highly compliant half roll surround attached to a extremely rigid diaphragm (just like the drivers that are used by most dynamic loudspeakers).  Fostex uses a similar design but the biocellulose cone material that they use isn't nearly as rigid as what the Focal's use and their motor structure is on a completely different level.

What about the elear? I'm considering to buy a pair of elears as an upgrade from HD6X0. 
I'll hopefully get a demo this weekend

To my ear, the Elear sounds like a supercharged HD 650.  I think you'll really like 'em.
L3000.gif

Jul 26, 2016 at 12:33 PM Post #1,207 of 5,632

Yep.  The drivers that the Elear and the Utopia use are pretty much the first of their kind. 

A highly compliant half roll surround attached to a extremely rigid diaphragm (just like the drivers that are used by most dynamic loudspeakers).  Fostex uses a similar design but the biocellulose cone material that they use isn't nearly as rigid as what the Focal's use.

To my ear, the Elear sounds like a supercharged HD 650.  I think you'll really like 'em.
L3000.gif

Thats not good man. Supercharger sucks and I hate the whining sound it makes

Jul 26, 2016 at 12:37 PM Post #1,208 of 5,632
Jul 26, 2016 at 12:37 PM Post #1,209 of 5,632
Hola, This is my first post on this site. I have been a ghost in the background. But this Focal Elear headphone is really peeking my interest. And it would 
be my first open back set. How much different do open back headphones sound compared to higher end Closed back cans ? Sorry, yes newbie reply. 
Does anyone know if a dealer in the Nj/Ny area will have a pair in-stock to demo ? 

Jul 26, 2016 at 12:55 PM Post #1,210 of 5,632
In general, open-back headphones almost always sound more 'open' and less closed-in sounding than a closed back headphone.

But open-backs are not universally superior to closed-backs  They both have their own unique sets of strengths and weaknesses.

As far a finding a dealer goes, not all Focal dealers will be carrying their headphones.  You'll just have to call around to find out which ones do.

Here's a list to help you get started.

http://www.focal.com/usa/en/stores?country=21&city=newjersey#

Jul 26, 2016 at 1:01 PM Post #1,211 of 5,632
Okay, Sounds good man. Yeah, i been feeding my addiction (headphones) Or audio for many years. I just decided to come out of the cave for some fresh air lol. I purchased tons of closed back. And i use to be a bigggg fan of Bass oriented cans, But as times change so does your taste buds for certain things. 

Jul 26, 2016 at 4:26 PM Post #1,212 of 5,632
  Okay, Sounds good man. Yeah, i been feeding my addiction (headphones) Or audio for many years. I just decided to come out of the cave for some fresh air lol. I purchased tons of closed back. And i use to be a bigggg fan of Bass oriented cans, But as times change so does your taste buds for certain things. 

Yeah, same here. Get some good basshead cans for when you want to boom out. I just got the Sony MDR-Z7 and they pretty much rock for that; great EDM, rap, electronica, etc. 

The other thing about bass is the Focal 40mm drivers are not really going to cut it for a really booming bass. You need big transducers for that (the above Sony's have 70mm ones!). The HD800/S have 56mm drivers so even those are technically more capable of booming bass, when properly driven. I'm not saying transducer size is the only thing that makes deep driving bass though I think it's more difficult in smaller diameter drivers. 

Jul 26, 2016 at 6:09 PM Post #1,213 of 5,632
  Hola, This is my first post on this site. I have been a ghost in the background. But this Focal Elear headphone is really peeking my interest. And it would 
be my first open back set. How much different do open back headphones sound compared to higher end Closed back cans ? Sorry, yes newbie reply. 
Does anyone know if a dealer in the Nj/Ny area will have a pair in-stock to demo ? 

Everything got push back 6 to 8 weeks from the initial launch.  I would probably guess the other dealers would start getting theirs in September but what do I know.  I purchased through The Source AV and they are now looking at the second week of August for delivery and I was originally in the 1st batch of Elears.

Jul 26, 2016 at 6:15 PM Post #1,214 of 5,632
Would anyone here have heard both a Hifiman HE400S and the new Elears?

I'm curious exactly how big of a monumental jump I'd be making. Like all this time I've been sitting behind the wheel of a _________ and then suddenly sliding in behind the wheel of a ___________.

Jul 26, 2016 at 6:23 PM Post #1,215 of 5,632
Yeah, same here. Get some good basshead cans for when you want to boom out. I just got the Sony MDR-Z7 and they pretty much rock for that; great EDM, rap, electronica, etc. 

The other thing about bass is the Focal 40mm drivers are not really going to cut it for a really booming bass. You need big transducers for that (the above Sony's have 70mm ones!). The HD800/S have 56mm drivers so even those are technically more capable of booming bass, when properly driven. I'm not saying transducer size is the only thing that makes deep driving bass though I think it's more difficult in smaller diameter drivers. 

Who likes booming bass anyway:grinning:
Personally I prefer tight and clean bass over booming bass

Users who are viewing this thread

Back