Focal Elear and Utopia Review / Preview With Measurements - Head-Fi TV
Jun 27, 2016 at 7:12 AM Post #871 of 5,632
I dont get it, here in Norway Elear is to cost 10500 NOK, while HD650 cost less than 3000 NOK thats a third of its price.

I see internationally Elear cost 999 USD, and HD650 400-450 USD. Less than half its price.

Here in Norway HD800 cost exactly the same as Elear (not hd800s)!

Why on earth do people want to compare Elear with HD650 ? 

Jun 27, 2016 at 7:43 AM Post #872 of 5,632
  I dont get it, here in Norway Elear is to cost 10500 NOK, while HD650 cost less than 3000 NOK thats a third of its price.

I see internationally Elear cost 999 USD, and HD650 400-450 USD. Less than half its price.

Because they are both warm sounding headphones with relatively soft treble.

Jun 27, 2016 at 7:51 AM Post #873 of 5,632
OT: >snip< If sponsors are banned, this forum will be reduced to pathetic gossiping or copying and pasting info from other forums.

Well, that right there, apart from being just plain absurd, isn't really much of a compliment for Head-Fi in general, us "Joe Average" Head-Fiers or even the idea of an open, unbiased user platform at all, now is it? I for one take exception to that.

Also, not that I have any skin in this game, but I think it might be a good idea to sometimes take into account that there can be a detrimental effect to this sort of thing if it is taken a smidgen too far. Paradoxically, what makes me most wary of certain headphones (as well as other things in life) is how desperate people are trying to sell/push them. It's all relative, of course, but might be something to mull over. (Oh, and this is not copy/pasted from anywhere, btw, just a general observation with which I, amazingly, came up entirely by myself and which therefore represents my own private opinion.)

and one that i happen to share

Jun 27, 2016 at 8:29 AM Post #874 of 5,632
I see, sponsors are not allowed here in your opinion? We can't be active participants? We can't put out our opinions? A sponsor is known as a sponsor, it's disclosed loud and clear. Some people here hide behind an icon name. Right from my first post I announced who I was and introduced myself to that group. Never once have I remotely tried to hide who I am. Like I said, I have noticed that there are some that have nothing in their account other than a few posts and an Icon name. Makes me wonder what it is they're trying to hide.

I think sponsors have a different agenda to begin with - to make money on the gear manufacturers provide. So sponsors views are somewhat colored by the need for cash and revenue. I respect sponsors, but I think sponsors should be professional with what they say and let the community discuss the ins and outs of new gear like the utopia and elear headphones. I cant say Ive seen much professionalism in the communication from "The Source AV", afterall, that is exactly who you represent isnt it ?

I think if you want to contribute like this to this community, then you should do so with not representing your business.

Jun 27, 2016 at 8:43 AM Post #875 of 5,632
I think sponsors are completely free to express their opinions however they like. They are not at fault. However, it is clear that sponsor opinions will be in favor of whatever can help their business. That is simply business, nothing wrong with that. It is up to the consumers to be able to make that distinction, and take sponsor recommendations with caution.

With regards to the Elear, still need more impressions before making the call.....they are $1k after all

Jun 27, 2016 at 9:47 AM Post #876 of 5,632
yep. as someone else observed earlier in this thread, i've not seen a mot behave in that way before. i hope it remains the exception.

Jun 27, 2016 at 9:48 AM Post #877 of 5,632
People want a comparison to the hd650 but one thing about the senn is that it has better micro details than headphones that cost a lot more. What really holds them back is its grainy sound and small soundstage. Its not refined enough, its bass is not controlled enough, and its build design not worthy of being considered a truly high end phone.

I can say that the 650 is more comfortable.

That's a point I don't see brought up very much about the HD650 these days -- the micro detail retrieval. I thought the HD650 was outstanding in this regard -- and with its smaller, more intimate soundstage, I might even dare to say that the HD650 at times seemed more resolving of sonic textures even than the HD800. There's a reason the 600 series headphones have been around for the better part of two decades now; IMO they are extremely good headphones, especially when considering their price.

In what way did you find the HD650 more comfortable than the Elear? Anything in particular about the Elear that made it less comfortable?

Jun 27, 2016 at 10:09 AM Post #878 of 5,632
Reading this thread makes me want to get HD650 again instead of Elear.

Also don't forget that if you're into warm sounding headphones, there is tge Audeze LCD2 or even a used LCD3 to compare to, both of which out class Elear by miles. Elear bass is one of the muddiest I've ever heard, and my first thought when I tried it was where is my treble.

+1 on Jason leaving this thread to the members for discussion instead of jumping in constantly to belittle every one who have unfavorable opinion.

Jun 27, 2016 at 10:26 AM Post #879 of 5,632
Also don't forget that if you're into warm sounding headphones, there is tge Audeze LCD2 or even a used LCD3 to compare to, both of which out class Elear by miles. Elear bass is one of the muddiest I've ever heard, and my first thought when I tried it was where is my treble.

Out of curiosity, did you ever hear the original LCD-2 Rev 1? That was the only headphone that I've tried that I found to be much too dark, with not enough treble. The Rev 2 was much better in that regard. Just trying to get a better idea of the Elear's treble quantity, as lack of treble is a deal-breaker for me.

Jun 27, 2016 at 10:55 AM Post #880 of 5,632
I dont want to compare the Elear to planars.

I have had both the audezes.

B
1. Because the hd650 has more micro details than headphones that cost more also it scales higher than just about any headphone. On my set up it will smoke an he560 on a mid tier set up. Ive also heard the 650 through the Teton and its revelatory.
Its one of the only cheap headphones that make sense using with TOTL gear.
2. Because its the only warm sounding dynamic open back so people keep buying to pair with OTL amps. Its probably the mosy popular headphone next to the hd800

3. Because the Elear was said to be a super hd650 so it needs to be proven/debunked.

4. The hd800 is going to be in another league technically and has a wayyy different sound signature. That's comparing a limo to a Corvette.

Ppl that don't like the 650 wont understand. Its not for everyone. Also they probably haven't plugged it into totl gear. I find it a bit grainy with a small soundstage but its still an awesome headphone and the right amp makes it open up. Until now its one of a kind.

Jun 27, 2016 at 11:12 AM Post #881 of 5,632
Reading this thread makes me want to get HD650 again instead of Elear.

+1 on Jason leaving this thread to the members for discussion instead of jumping in constantly to belittle every one who have unfavorable opinion.

If you think the Elear bass is muddy, you probably won't like the HD650.  If you think the Elear treble is missing, you probably won't like the HD650.

Regarding the Elear treble, what tracks did you listen to on it?  I noticed a slight recession in the upper-mids/lower-treble but it comes back up after that and extends very far.  I'm curious if your test tracks were mostly hanging out in that recessed region.  

Jun 27, 2016 at 11:17 AM Post #882 of 5,632
I dont want to compare the Elear to planars.

I have had both the audezes.
B
1. Because the hd650 has more micro details than headphones that cost more also it scales higher than just about any headphone. On my set up it will smoke an he560 on a mid tier set up. The 650 through the Teton is revelatory.
Its one of the only cheap headphones that make sense using with TOTL gear.
2. Because its the only warm sounding dynamic open back so people keep buying to pair with OTL amps. Its probably the mosy popular headphone next to the hd800
3. Because the Elear was said to be a super hd650 so it needs to be proven.

4. The hd800 is going to be in another league technically and has a wayyy different sound signature. Comaring a limo to a Corvette.

Ppl that don't like the 650 wont understand. Also they probably haven't plugged it into totl gear. I find it a bit grainy with a small soundstage but its still an awesome headphone. Until now one of a kind.

you pretty well laid out the pros and the cons of the HD650 for me.  I liked mine a lot.  It sounded great out of my bifrost 4490 -> Lyr2 setup.  But anything less than that and it just sounded... lazy, to me at least.  Honestly I'll be happy with the Elear if it is even as good as the HD650, but able to be powered out of my m9XX or dragonfly red.  If that's the case it allows me to listen to it WAY more, which was my only issue with the HD650, it just sat on my desk, almost never getting listened to, while my lesser headphones like the SR225e or even KSC75s got way more ear time, simply because they didn't require being hooked up to a full desktop setup.

Jun 27, 2016 at 12:24 PM Post #883 of 5,632
No worries man, Jason did get back to me via PM, he'll check it out and update. Thanks for trying, eh?
Well it took a little bit of being careful and kind off a pain in the butt but they are interchangeable. I'm waiting for a response from France to know if they will make the pads available for guys that would like to make this type of conversion. I may have the answer in a couple hours

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Jun 27, 2016 at 12:40 PM Post #884 of 5,632
Well it took a little bit of being careful and kind off a pain in the butt but they are interchangeable. I'm waiting for a response from France to know if they will make the pads available for guys that would like to make this type of conversion. I may have the answer in a couple hours

Sweet! Any change in sound quality/signature?

Jun 27, 2016 at 12:48 PM Post #885 of 5,632
OT, again: For everyone's guidance  from Headfi.org's FAQ :

Can I review a product that I'm connected to?

The focus of our community is user generated content. To preserve its integrity, you should not review your own products or business or a business at which you have been or are currently employed.  However, we do think it's important to get manufacturers in the conversation. As such, we've got a program to help you engage your potential customers, get feedback from key influencers, build brand loyalty, and even drive traffic to your website and consequently sales. 

If some of you have an issue with @TSAVJason, I suggest you take it up  with the moderator(s). Attacking @TSAVJason will not serve the interest of this community. And, no, none of us here have any right to boot anyone out of Headfi.org. We are not paying members and this is a privately-funded forum. Only the moderator/s and owners of Headfi.org can do that, afaik.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back