Focal Elear and Utopia Review / Preview With Measurements - Head-Fi TV
Nov 4, 2016 at 1:42 AM Post #3,498 of 5,632
Hi,

You guys might want to check some cables review comparison on

audiobacon.net

Used Abyss only with

Stock cable vs DHC Complement4 vs Danacable vs Peterek   6/19/16.

Enjoy your reading.

I am looking for a balanced 4-pin cable to use with my amp as well.

Im very tempted to order the Dana cable but I'm afraid that it would take away the bite from the music (e.g. in electric guitar, snare, hi hats).

Extract from audiobacon.net:

"In the end, you’re trading a bit of soundstage air and resolution for warmth and a more accurate tonality."

Nov 4, 2016 at 1:57 AM Post #3,499 of 5,632
I am looking for a balanced 4-pin cable to use with my amp as well.

Im very tempted to order the Dana cable but I'm afraid that it would take away the bite from the music (e.g. in electric guitar, snare, hi hats).

Extract from audiobacon.net:

"In the end, you’re trading a bit of soundstage air and resolution for warmth and a more accurate tonality."

Hi,

You guys might want to check some cables review comparison on

audiobacon.net

Used Abyss only with

Stock cable vs DHC Complement4 vs Danacable vs Peterek   6/19/16.

Enjoy your reading.

Yeah, that was the review I saw that made me think it is similar to other copper cables in that it does sound very pleasant and realistic but doesn't squeeze the amount of detail that a silver cable can.

Basically looking for a cable with the perfect balance between the two rather than having to choose one or the other.

I'm rocking the Norne Eternus right now and it has all the greatness of a silver cable but just a tad bright on the Utopia IMO. I plan on checking out the other Norne silver cables soon.

Nov 4, 2016 at 2:36 AM Post #3,500 of 5,632
Yeah, that was the review I saw that made me think it is similar to other copper cables in that it does sound very pleasant and realistic but doesn't squeeze the amount of detail that a silver cable can.

Basically looking for a cable with the perfect balance between the two rather than having to choose one or the other.

I'm rocking the Norne Eternus right now and it has all the greatness of a silver cable but just a tad bright on the Utopia IMO. I plan on checking out the other Norne silver cables soon.

FWIW, that is a review for the standard Lazuli cable, not the Lazuli Reference cable. The reference has half the resistance of the regular model. Some of the observations still hold up, however the bass is noticeably better, tighter and more well defined on the reference model, from what I can tell. Some folks will still find that a good silver cable will likely have more "air" and "lift" in the upper midrange, so if that is what you are going for, grab a good silver cable. If you want more body, density and natural tonality, grab the Dana.

Hope that helps. :)

Nov 4, 2016 at 2:45 AM Post #3,501 of 5,632
FWIW, that is a review for the standard Lazuli cable, not the Lazuli Reference cable. The reference has half the resistance of the regular model. Some of the observations still hold up, however the bass is noticeably better, tighter and more well defined on the reference model, from what I can tell. Some folks will still find that a good silver cable will likely have more "air" and "lift" in the upper midrange, so if that is what you are going for, grab a good silver cable. If you want more body, density and natural tonality, grab the Dana.

Hope that helps.
smily_headphones1.gif

I guess the best way to find out is to actually hear both for myself. :)

Thanks for the help!

Nov 4, 2016 at 3:05 AM Post #3,502 of 5,632

Hope that helps.
smily_headphones1.gif

@bacon333 would you like to chip in about your review of these cables? cheers... 
wink_face.gif

Nov 4, 2016 at 4:45 AM Post #3,504 of 5,632
  Jc, can't find word 'Utopia' or 'Elear' in the last 4 pages, just cables cables cables....
confused_face.gif

Lol, I've been thinking the same thing. Though this is pretty normal around here, eventually when the excitement wears off we gotta find something else to talk about, like accessorizing our $4k headphones :)

Nov 4, 2016 at 5:15 AM Post #3,505 of 5,632
  Jc, can't find word 'Utopia' or 'Elear' in the last 4 pages, just cables cables cables....
confused_face.gif

That's true but then we have over 200+ pages here (plus another 80 pages at the Impression thread) talking about Utopia. This is not unrelated by any means...just owners trying to enhance their experience and find the right combo with their Utopia

Nov 4, 2016 at 9:27 AM Post #3,506 of 5,632
Changing the format of the cable listing. Let me know your thoughts regarding enhancing / tweaking this. 

Nov 4, 2016 at 9:32 AM Post #3,507 of 5,632
List of Recommended Aftermarket Cables for the Utopia

(I will update / edit based on member posts and as I receive more details/specifics)

Cable Company
Cable Type
Head-Fi Member
 ​
(Uses / Recommends)

DanaCable
Lazuli Reference
Hansotek; musicman59; gintamafans; SurFi (on order)
Double Helix Cables
Prion 4 / SilverComp 4
Hansotek
Double Helix Cables
Spore 4 Fusion
matthewhypolite (awaiting Utopias)
KimberKable
Axios
Hansotek
Moon Audio
Silver Dragon V3
MacedonianHero
Nordost
Hemidall 2
TSAV Jason; Toolman; pkcpga; guitardave;
Norne
Eternus
Toolman; pervysage;
Wireworld
Nano-Platinum Eclipse
TSAV Jason
WyWires
Platinum
Toolman

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All cables are currently in-system with the Utopias, unless noted.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please post cables you are using with the Utopia and impressions. Thanks!

Nov 4, 2016 at 10:50 AM Post #3,508 of 5,632
I will be able to compare both silver and copper Complement4 as soon as I finish up my short adapters for Audeze to Utopia.

Some owners have received their Prion4 and reported very positively...however I won't pretend nor encourage spending near $2K on a set of cables + waiting 3 to 4 months as ok, so I won't go there. 

Nov 4, 2016 at 4:24 PM Post #3,510 of 5,632
  I'm still waiting on a Focal loaner. I'll have the Prion4, Complement4, Dana, and Lazuli cable on hand for the review. Will keep everyone posted.

Very interested to hear your impressions on that group of cables 
biggrin.gif

When are you expecting to get a loaner?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back