Focal Elear and Utopia Review / Preview With Measurements - Head-Fi TV
Aug 5, 2016 at 12:00 PM Post #1,546 of 5,632
I had no intention of listening to either the Elear or Utopia becos I am not in the market for open cans, but having hear both at today's hifi show in Hong Kong, the Elear made me a BELIEVER!! (even moreso than the utopia for the music genres which I like) ... would gladly trade my LCDX AND HD650 for them!

there is an ease (I don't mean laid back) to them that is very addictive, I went back to Focal's "quiet room" three times to listen to them.

Aug 5, 2016 at 2:46 PM Post #1,547 of 5,632
I would really like to read more impressions on the Utopia. 

Aug 5, 2016 at 3:02 PM Post #1,548 of 5,632
  I would really like to read more impressions on the Utopia. 

mmm.....London CanJam will surely bring a lot more impression BUT, thus far, I have not read any negative review/impression (substantially negative) of the Utopia. I think the worst that can be said of the Utopia, thus far, is the price tag. A few more days.......

Aug 5, 2016 at 3:03 PM Post #1,549 of 5,632
I had no intention of listening to either the Elear or Utopia becos I am not in the market for open cans, but having hear both at today's hifi show in Hong Kong, the Elear made me a BELIEVER!! (even moreso than the utopia for the music genres which I like) ... would gladly trade my LCDX AND HD650 for them!

there is an ease (I don't mean laid back) to them that is very addictive, I went back to Focal's "quiet room" three times to listen to them.

What kind of music do you normally listen to?

Aug 5, 2016 at 6:20 PM Post #1,550 of 5,632

I was at the Focal booth in the show but see no Elear and Utopia for demo. They show old headphones only. Did you have to request for a demo

Aug 5, 2016 at 8:01 PM Post #1,552 of 5,632
What kind of music do you normally listen to?

mainly indie, experimental, electronica like 4tet, caribou etc. but also modern classical and modern jazz. Utopia (using Aurrender/Goldmund dac/amp) casts a more forensic/cerebral tone imho

From an end user point of view, Elear made me want to give up my LCDX and HD650 without hesitation, whereas even if I could afford the utopia, I would probably consider the HD800S and a better amp before considering the utopia. hope that helps.

Aug 6, 2016 at 11:02 AM Post #1,553 of 5,632
For those that will be at the London CanJam event Moon Audio will have the Utopia and Elear on display for folks to listen to. Thank you Focal for making this happen. We will also have our Silver Dragon V3 and Black Dragon V2 Premium Headphone cables for both headphones to try out.

Will you have any Silver Dragon V3 or Black Dragon cables for sale on the day?

Aug 6, 2016 at 4:32 PM Post #1,554 of 5,632
Hello everyone! So many of you have asked about pad changes changing the Elear pads over to the Utopia pads. Well not good! You'll lose significant bass by doing this. Changing the Utopia over to Elear pads gives you a significant lift in bass response. So there you have it! I've asked Dan Stillhart Browdy to write a more detailed review since he is here at The Source AV with me as we do the comparison. So those of you that have been asking about swaping the Elear pads to Utopia, not a good idea unless you can live with a lot less bass. Have fun and enjoy the music!

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Aug 6, 2016 at 4:55 PM Post #1,555 of 5,632
Ok, funny question. How is Elear pronounced..like..properly? Jude pronounces is E-Lee-Ar, but Jude is an American. The French pronunciation would be more along the lines of Eh-lear would it not? I like language, so I'm just curious is all. My French isn't that good. 

Aug 6, 2016 at 4:57 PM Post #1,556 of 5,632
Hello everyone! So many of you have asked about pad changes changing the Elear pads over to the Utopia pads. Well not good! You'll lose significant bass by doing this. Changing the Utopia over to Elear pads gives you a significant lift in bass response. So there you have it! I've asked Dan Stillhart Browdy to write a more detailed review since he is here at The Source AV with me as we do the comparison. So those of you that have been asking about swaping the Elear pads to Utopia, not a good idea unless you can live with a lot less bass. Have fun and enjoy the music!

So, it's good to go upgrade then downgrade. Great news. Tx.

Aug 6, 2016 at 9:30 PM Post #1,558 of 5,632
  Ok, funny question. How is Elear pronounced..like..properly? Jude pronounces is E-Lee-Ar, but Jude is an American. The French pronunciation would be more along the lines of Eh-lear would it not? I like language, so I'm just curious is all. My French isn't that good. 

Pronounced El E-AAAAR, like El Chapo but more angry Lucha Libre announcer styles with a dash of pirate at the end.

I grew up in French immersion so I am absolutely an authority on this.    

Aug 6, 2016 at 10:03 PM Post #1,559 of 5,632
Elear pads work on both. Utopia only good on Utopia.

In short, this.

Elear pads on the Utopia really add a lot of heft to the bass.  I think that people looking for the more "fun" tuning of the Elear might enjoy this option.  Personally, I think it ruins what was already a perfectly balanced SQ, but I know that's my personal preference coming into play.  Others may find that it's just right.  I didn't think it detracted much from the rest of the FR... maybe a slight decrease in the treble range?  I say this because...

Utopia pads on the Elear tone back the bass to a more balanced signature, which is nice, but it also brightens up the treble just a bit... enough to create a treble spike that I found rather annoying.  If not for the treble spike, I'd say it's a good way to get a more balanced FR for those who don't like the boosted bass of the Elear.  

Overall, I personally prefer both of them with stock pads.  But I could see myself getting a set of Elear pads to go with the Utopia if I ever felt like I just wanted to bass em up  for a night or something.  I believe they will be selling the pads separately and Jason said current estimate is only $100/pr.  I don't know if that's a final number so don't quote me on that, but if that's the final price, I'd say grabbing a pair with the Utopia is a no brainer.

Aug 6, 2016 at 11:35 PM Post #1,560 of 5,632
In short, this.

Elear pads on the Utopia really add a lot of heft to the bass.  I think that people looking for the more "fun" tuning of the Elear might enjoy this option.  Personally, I think it ruins what was already a perfectly balanced SQ, but I know that's my personal preference coming into play.  Others may find that it's just right.  I didn't think it detracted much from the rest of the FR... maybe a slight decrease in the treble range?  I say this because...

Utopia pads on the Elear tone back the bass to a more balanced signature, which is nice, but it also brightens up the treble just a bit... enough to create a treble spike that I found rather annoying.  If not for the treble spike, I'd say it's a good way to get a more balanced FR for those who don't like the boosted bass of the Elear.  

Overall, I personally prefer both of them with stock pads.  But I could see myself getting a set of Elear pads to go with the Utopia if I ever felt like I just wanted to bass em up  for a night or something.  I believe they will be selling the pads separately and Jason said current estimate is only $100/pr.  I don't know if that's a final number so don't quote me on that, but if that's the final price, I'd say grabbing a pair with the Utopia is a no brainer.

If you described like that then I would prefer not to change the pads since Utopia pads are so comfortable . Better save money for DHC cable. Tx.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back