Focal Clear Magnesium (New non Pro-Version)
Mar 17, 2021 at 11:06 AM Post #61 of 85
I received tracking and it looks like my Clear MG will arrive tomorrow, I am pretty excited, I was so close to pulling the trigger of the OG model. Then the MG Pro was announced and released. I figured we see the new version of the none Pro release, and a week or so here we are. I will leave impressions once I spend a little bit of time with them. It's been a long time coming since I wanted to own a pair of Focal Clears.
I'am surprised of the little to none existent hoopla associated with the launch of these usually Jude has a dedicated video and or some Focal personal to go over new Focal products.
I guess it's because it's essentially a "V2" rather than a whole new headphone. Come to think of it, it's essentially Focal's first update/refresh of an existing headphone. Also, has it been confirmed that the OG Clears are being discontinued? I know the Clear Pro OGs are, but even headphones.com have the OG on sale at the moment, so it could possibly be an HD600/HD650 situation where the successor was sold alongside the original model.

Mar 17, 2021 at 11:14 AM Post #62 of 85
I guess it's because it's essentially a "V2" rather than a whole new headphone. Come to think of it, it's essentially Focal's first update/refresh of an existing headphone. Also, has it been confirmed that the OG Clears are being discontinued? I know the Clear Pro OGs are, but even headphones.com have the OG on sale at the moment, so it could possibly be an HD600/HD650 situation where the successor was sold alongside the original model.
Maybe Focal is keeping the original silver Clear alive because they make so much from pad sales 😜

Mar 17, 2021 at 4:20 PM Post #63 of 85
They have arrived! I've only been able to listen for about 30 min. First impressions, they're NICE! I'm sure others that know all of the adjectives will do a better job of describing them so I'll leave it to their capable fingers.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2021 at 4:29 PM Post #64 of 85
Its sad that Focal has to charge $200 for a pair of earpads....I would think $99 would be more in line. This is my opinion and I have the Clears (Grey) and new MG Clears with
the red earpads. They look like they will show any staining less than the grey pads.

Both headphones are outstanding....but the earpad cost seems just a tad too much....

Are u listening Focal?????

Mar 17, 2021 at 4:32 PM Post #65 of 85
I agree with you.
Any thoughts on Clear vs MG Clear (Pro)?

Mar 17, 2021 at 4:39 PM Post #66 of 85
I agree with you.
Any thoughts on Clear vs MG Clear (Pro)?
I like them both, but if had to choose one it would be the new MG Clears.
Why?
Its like an overall 10% increase towards a more overall positive listening experience...
Better soundstage, better low end bass response, but with that wonderful overall tonality.

The OG Clear was and still is one of the best dynamic headphones when it comes to tonality....just awesome, Tyll H stated this many times as well.

The MG Clears just adds to this and helps on the low and high end.

The main reason I would advise someone to buy the MG Clears over the new consumer MG Clear is you get an extra set of earpads...which IMO makes more sense
rather than have a bunch of cables I would not use.

I make my own cables out of Canare mic cable with Neutrik connectors for about $40! A lot less than the boutique cables that cost you and arm and a leg...OMG.

The MG Clear Pro's done come with a balanced cable, but you can easily get an adapter or buy one for $60-$70 that will work as well as those mega buck cables.

Note: The Black/Red combination is more appealing to my taste than this brown color ...somewhat like the Stellias...great can, lousy color.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2021 at 4:40 PM Post #67 of 85
Mar 17, 2021 at 9:51 PM Post #70 of 85
I actually prefer the look of the Clear MG over the MG Pro. It's taken countless the black and red products to come out, but I'm finally over that color scheme. The brown here is at least somewhat muted, and the pads are nice and dark.

Mar 18, 2021 at 11:59 AM Post #71 of 85
I had some "snap, crackle and pop" last night. Using Qobuz and my Hiby R6 2020. I'm guessing it's the factory Focal cable.

Can you reccomend a replacement cable that doesn't break the bank? My DAP has a 4.4 balanced out, if that would make a difference. I'm just listening on my DAP so an extremely long cable isn't required.

Mar 18, 2021 at 2:32 PM Post #75 of 85
I read a review that said the only difference between the two was a) the colors and b) the accessories.
That’s what it seems to be only. From my understanding as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back