Focal Celestee (New Closed-Back Headphone)
Jul 10, 2021 at 4:17 PM Post #466 of 634
The Celestees are impressing me. I've been listening to them about 10 hours now with some break-in. I know the Focal house-sound from the likes of the clear, elegia and stellia I have owned in the past and the Celestee hits the sweet spot for me. I decided on a closed back dynamic and a planar magnetic open-back cause those combinations offer the best listening experience in my opinion.
I've seen a fair share of closed-backs in the last few years. From a simple beyerdynamic custom one pro, stopping by the DT1770 PROs and T5p gen.2 all the way up to Stellia; which I sold when I heard the beyerdynamic mmx-300.2 (which gave me ~ 90% of the listening pleasure at 10% of the price). From Kennerton Magni (Kennerton which I adore for open-back headphones!) to æon 2 noire and later the Ether C flow 1.1.
When I sold the Ether C flow 1.1 I tried the LSA HP-2 ultra who's sound impressed but comfort was nowhere near the same level as Magni, Beyerdynamic T5 gen3 who's sound was near perfect but the headphones gave me a hotspot on the top of my head and now Focal Celestee. It feels to be the sweetspot between fun and truth. The sweetspot for a close and intimate sound with a strong sub-bass and great macro details.
Listening to the studio version of Pneuma gives me the feeling I am there in my own personal listening booth while the artistst are creating this modern masterpiece

I've hooked them up to the Audio-gd Master 19, using a balanced cable, the soundstage is narrow but truthful. The DCA Ether C Flow 1.1 made my jaw drop in this regard, the open soundstage that that brand can create with closed-back headphones is impressive.
Will it replace my LSA HP-Diamond; which is my goto headphone? No way! Will it suit my needs for when I prefer some isolation: why yes! Can it just stand there and be pretty? I think so, more so than Stellia imo.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2021 at 4:40 PM Post #467 of 634
That is an awesome song, one of my favorites. I just listened to it with my closed backs but the Empyrean bested them quite easily. And that is my least resolving open back. I was interested in the Celestee, and I like how you describe them, but I'm tempted to ditch closed backs altogether and stick with open backs and IEMs.

Jul 11, 2021 at 10:18 AM Post #468 of 634
That is an awesome song, one of my favorites. I just listened to it with my closed backs but the Empyrean bested them quite easily. And that is my least resolving open back. I was interested in the Celestee, and I like how you describe them, but I'm tempted to ditch closed backs altogether and stick with open backs and IEMs.
The Empyrean is certainly less resolving than, say, a Utopia, but it provides a thoroughly emotive and musical experience. It's hard to find a headphone in the upper echelons of the headphone market ($2,000 and above) that focuses more on melody than sheer technicalities. I enjoy the Empyrean a fair bit, but I like the Utopia, too. :wink:

On the topic of the Celestee, I can't say that I have had much experience with them; I've had a few auditions, and they've only been in my possession since Friday night. However, my limited exposure has been (very) positive. They've certainly fixed what I didn't like about the Elegia; the lack of warmth and the distinctly anemic bass. They aren't the last word in detail and clarity, but they are a great headphone to simply enjoy music.

Jul 13, 2021 at 10:32 PM Post #469 of 634
I recently purchased the Celestee and ended up returning them. I found the sound stage to be too narrow to be able to enjoy them. They are technically very capable, but I couldn’t get past the feeling of listening to music in a hallway. I have the focal Stellias for comparison and they are in another league all together. I also have the Elegia’s, Elears and Clears. If they could improve the soundstage on the Celestee then it would be a fantastic headphone, as it improves on the Elegia in other areas. I can put some EQ on the Elegias to dial them in a bit more, but I don’t think I could have EQ’d the Celestee to improve the soundstage. For the price range my pick is the Elegias over the Celestee with a little EQ. I’d be curious to know if the Radiance suffers from this soundstage issue as well? I was disappointed to have to return the Celestee as they look fantastic and I am obviously a huge fan of the Focal house sound. I really wanted them for travel and work.

The Elegias were the first headphones I was really happy with and they kept me out of these forums for a number of years, which really helped the wallet :)

I’ve stumbled back on this site which took me to the Stellia and Clears (will be trying the Clear MG Pro soon). I am blown away by the Stellias.

For those that value the technical prowess of the Celeste and aren’t largely concerned with the soundstage I think you will really like them. Stick with them and enjoy.

Don’t listen to the Stellia for comparison unless you are prepared to drop some major coin on them, because you will want to :)

Jul 14, 2021 at 12:36 AM Post #470 of 634
The Elegias were the first headphones I was really happy with and they kept me out of these forums for a number of years, which really helped the wallet
This is good to hear :) I just purchased a cheap pair second hand, waiting for them in the mail. With dekoni sheepskin elite pads and some EQ, I think they might keep me off headfifor a while too (until I'm after some high end open backs like the Clear MGs or LCD-X which Ive wanted for a long time haha)

I was off headfi for a good few years as I've been happy with my Fostex's but I was craving something more closed/isolating, neutral and still nicely detailed. Something better for vocals and non-EDM genres.
I was lusting after the Celestee but I'm spending like a quarter of the price on these Elegia (maybe a third with the new pads). The lack of soundstage is the big thing that currently was putting me off.

Will post impressions

Jul 21, 2021 at 7:57 AM Post #472 of 634
Anyone tried some other pads yet?
To answer my own question: I have a loaner pair of Dekoni limited edition "stellia pads" which mimic the stock pads; with the exception that the cloth and leather on the inside of the pads is the other way around. The pads are a bit thicker and stiffer which increases the clamp force a bit but also increases the soundstage. The overall sound signature is still very enjoyable but it is hard to test since switching pads takes a bit of time and by that time I already forgot the nuances of the differences between the 2 pad types, haha.
I like these pads. Their price is steep but then again so are stock pads. Wifimedia informed me that the stock pads are about €79 per pad, the dekoni "stellia" pads are a bit cheaper in that regard since you can find them for about €100 per pair.

Jul 31, 2021 at 6:32 PM Post #473 of 634
I've given back the loaner pads. They are nice but the differences are surely not worth the price.
This headphone shines with it's original pads both on sq and comfort.

I might want to try the Focal Radiance pads once, but knowing Focal I will not approve of their price :D
Which is ok since I still adore these headphones the way they are, both the looks and the sound quality.

Aug 5, 2021 at 7:59 AM Post #474 of 634
Ordered the radiance pads today. Have an ETA of 4 weeks and will report back once I have tried them on. In the meantime, here's a picture (with a sadly off white balance) of my new cable I got for the celestee, made by sky audio cables:

IMG_20210803_131352.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2021 at 10:08 PM Post #475 of 634
Spent some time auditioning these today, must admit I was a little dissapointed considering the lovely looks. Have been excited about these since day 1.

Coming from Focal Clear as my open back and P9 as my closed, the Celestee failed to impress really. They’re a good headphone, don’t get me wrong, but I found the sound a tad odd, vocals ever so slightly harsh, things a bit too squashed in, not much room to breathe…I think the P9 does a much better job as a closed back, they sound much grander, present vocals with more resolution and more body. I was going back and forth between the P9/Celestee (but perhaps I need some more time with the (Celestee). and of course Clear are in another league entirely.

Gorgeous looking though.

I also tried the Stellia. Blimey, totally different beast…Anyone hoping these got anywhere near the Stellia, to my ears, it’s no contest. If anything it sounds like there’s more difference than the price would indicate, in the Stellia’s favour.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2021 at 4:16 PM Post #480 of 634
From the review:

Stellia are probably the best closed headphones I’ve ever heard. And they still are, but at a third of the price, Celestee is so close that I almost have to pinch my arm.
Yup I saw that, its why I mentioned it here.

The only possible way he could think this is if he was drawing from memory.

Honestly the more I try a range of gear, and spend more time on comparisons, the less and less I trust reviewers generally.

I think most people (myself included) by default give trust to a reviewer. But I think its the other way around, they should earn your trust.

Basically how it went for me in the shop was, I really want the Celestee, they look amazing, i was hyped. I tried them for a good 30mins from a really good source, and….There were flaws. Great headphone, but flaws. Not a standout performer. Don’t get me wrong, if they were my only headphone, I’d have a freaking great time. Music sounds great on them. But we’re being critical here. Technically, tuning aside, the P9 (to my ears) are superior. But you may prefer Celestee Sig, many will.

I tried the Stellia and I was expecting a very similar headphone based on tidbits I’d read. Tbh i havent read much about it, more about Celestee, but anyway, I was primed for Celestee 110% or similar. It is nothing like that, the presentation is very different, and it has a wow factor for me. It was irritatingly good, as no way in hell do I have 3k now or for a long time to drop on cans haha.

Anyway, all ears are different. That norwegian chap might differ from me. But if I had to guess, he was going off of memory and didn’t have the two side by side an extended period.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back