Focal Bathys - Wireless ANC Over-Ear Headphone
Dec 18, 2023 at 5:51 AM Post #1,621 of 1,723
Hi i'm new here

I just bought Focal Bathys and updated to firmware 1.5.7 and I have a problem with the left side being approx. 3 db lower than the right side, does anyone else have that problem? is it possible to roll back to the previous firmware and have this problem fixed or what can be done?
is it in wired or wireless or both. Unusual issue.
are you sure its bathys, try it with another device

Dec 18, 2023 at 8:24 AM Post #1,623 of 1,723
Its all - dac, bluetooth and wired -
i have sony wh-1000xm5 with the same setup and here is no problems with wired and blutooth
maybe someone else will give you a better advice later.
But maybe if you setup mimi sound personalization, that it will even that out. But still it should not happen. Unless its a lemon.
Hopefully someone else here will give you a better advice later

Dec 18, 2023 at 10:01 AM Post #1,625 of 1,723
Hey Guys, I've had 2 issues with the Bathys so far, I'm on the latest version:

a) is anyone else having an issue with the Bathys used in exclusive mode in Tidal (Windows app) via USB, where randomly, after around 5-15minutes of playback, the Bathys disconnect and then reconnect? Most of the times I have to relaunch Tidal to get it to play through the headphones again? This issue never occurs while listening to them connected to USB via general content (chrome videos, etc) - just the Tidal app.

b) when I connect the Bathys via USB to my phone (xperia 1 V), I get a popup that basically asks me if I want to give Tidal (android app) exclusive access to the USB audio device. If I accept, I get 0 sound through the headphones. If I decline, I can use them with no problems with any app on android, including Tidal - but as far as I know, Android resamples the audio from Tidal, so it's not the "best" quality.

If you've had any of these issues, I'm wondering if it's a firmware bug, and if there's a fix.

Thanks!

Dec 18, 2023 at 10:15 AM Post #1,626 of 1,723
Hey Guys, I've had 2 issues with the Bathys so far, I'm on the latest version:

a) is anyone else having an issue with the Bathys used in exclusive mode in Tidal (Windows app) via USB, where randomly, after around 5-15minutes of playback, the Bathys disconnect and then reconnect? Most of the times I have to relaunch Tidal to get it to play through the headphones again? This issue never occurs while listening to them connected to USB via general content (chrome videos, etc) - just the Tidal app.

b) when I connect the Bathys via USB to my phone (xperia 1 V), I get a popup that basically asks me if I want to give Tidal (android app) exclusive access to the USB audio device. If I accept, I get 0 sound through the headphones. If I decline, I can use them with no problems with any app on android, including Tidal - but as far as I know, Android resamples the audio from Tidal, so it's not the "best" quality.

If you've had any of these issues, I'm wondering if it's a firmware bug, and if there's a fix.

Thanks!
I have seen the B issue with Android. is not only the Bathys, It's actually with Android OS>

It happens with every single dongle or dack I connect to my phone or Dap. Normally, I just click anywhere on the screen but NOT click yes. If you click yes you will not hear any sound.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2023 at 10:18 AM Post #1,627 of 1,723
I have seen the B issue with Android. is not only the Bathys, It's actually with Android OS>

It happens with every single dongle or dack I connect to my phone or Dap. Normally, I just click anywhere on the screen but NOT click yes. If you click yes you will not hear any sound.
Does anyone have any idea why this dumb bug happens and what's the solution? I mean it's the Android system itself that asks for permission to grant exclusive right to Tidal.

Dec 18, 2023 at 12:52 PM Post #1,628 of 1,723
Well, I just bought the Bathys 5 days ago and I'm delighted, plus I have some honest insight in Bathys vs PX8 (and also vs Radiance and Celestee)

Context: I had over the ear headphones in the past, but switched to IEMs around 3 years ago. I had some Sonys (forgot the model, dynamic driver + balanced armature, 300 euroish), then upgraded to Campfire Audio Polaris 2, then to Dorado 2020 which I used for almost 2 years with various sources (Xperia smartphone, Fiio adapters, etc). I got sick of cables and not-so-easy to use adapters on the go, and decided to get rid of them and get a good all-round TWS BT IEM (realising and accepting a SQ dip). I got the B&W PI7s2 which were great, but had bad connection issues.

I returned them for servicing after less than a year, and the shop decided to refund me. I wanted to buy some other "hifi" bt TWS pair, so I decided to go with the new Devialet Gemini 2. I went to the store to try them out - they sounded great, amazing fit. But before purchasing them I wanted to try out some good over the ear headphones.

The guy told me the hottest hi-fi BT headphones they have are the BATHYS and PX8. I tried the PX8. Sounded good, looked great, good build. But tbh I didn't enjoy them vs the Devialet Gemini 2 (which are IEMs). I felt the sound much less clear and detailed. I then tried the Bathys. WOOOOW. They sounded PHENOMENAL. I A/B'd them a bit vs the PX8. To any PX8 owners out here, sorry, there is truly no comparison. I used them both connected to my phone through Aptx HD/Adaptive. The PX8 simply sound much more narrow and congested. No comparison. I was shocked.

I then, just for fun, wanted to try other closed (wired) Focal headphones just to get an idea what the company can do. I was offered the Celestee first. And tbh, after 2 songs (I didn't have all day to spend there), connected to an iFi Audio Go bar they had on hand connected to my smartphone (Xperia, Tidal as source), I honestly can say I liked the more "meaty" and airy (I know, it's a NC headphone vs a pure wired one, but this is how it sounded to me, more space, somehow) sound I experienced with the Bathys (via USB-c to my phone, not BT). The detail retrieval felt the same.

Then I tried the other closed-back Focals they had, the Radiance (hate the bentley logo on it but hey, it is what it is). Yeah, now I could clearly see a step up. Felt much better especially in the female vocals (tried some Whitney Huston), soundstage felt a bit bigger and overall it felt it had more spark. It wasn't "Twice as good" or "night and day" by any means, but the price was almost double, and this is a clear step up (Albeit wired, no NC, no integrated dac-amp).

In conclusion, the Bathys are AMAZING! They didn't have other coveted high end headphones like the Mark Levinsons or the T+A, but at least compared to the next similarly priced headphones, the PX8, they are worlds apart.

So I went in to buy a 400 euros pair of IEMS (Devialet Gemini 2), but the Bathys (which were discounted from 800 to 700 euros) converted me to over ear, and were clearly incomparable to the PX8, which were much more discounted (570 euros). These are all Romania prices (Where I live).
I own both the Bathys and the PX8 and prior to the 3.0 update for the PX8 it was around 60% PX8 usage and 40% on Bathys with the dynamic mode EQ. After the 3.0 update I use the Bathys maybe 25% of the time. The midrange on the Bathys got better with the dynamic EQ, but it is still not great, which is my main issue with the Bathys. Passive isolation is also lacking a bit on the Bathys, which is an issue on public transportation and sometimes in the office as higher frequencies bleed through unless I have fairly high volume.

Dec 19, 2023 at 4:09 AM Post #1,632 of 1,723
I own both the Bathys and the PX8 and prior to the 3.0 update for the PX8 it was around 60% PX8 usage and 40% on Bathys with the dynamic mode EQ. After the 3.0 update I use the Bathys maybe 25% of the time. The midrange on the Bathys got better with the dynamic EQ, but it is still not great, which is my main issue with the Bathys. Passive isolation is also lacking a bit on the Bathys, which is an issue on public transportation and sometimes in the office as higher frequencies bleed through unless I have fairly high volume.
Much better than equalization, Mimi adapts to listening. It greatly improves the Bathys.

Dec 19, 2023 at 11:11 AM Post #1,633 of 1,723
Much better than equalization, Mimi adapts to listening. It greatly improves the Bathys.
How much you get out of mimi depends on your hearing. It had small changes for me, just a little bit in the highest registers which made it a bit brighter but also more fatiguing, but no game changer for me. It is a compensation for hearing loss so YMMV.

Dec 19, 2023 at 11:13 AM Post #1,634 of 1,723
How much you get out of mimi depends on your hearing. It had small changes for me, just a little bit in the highest registers which made it a bit brighter but also more fatiguing, but no game changer for me. It is a compensation for hearing loss so YMMV.
What's MIMI? Links?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back