Focal Bathys - Wireless ANC Over-Ear Headphone
Dec 5, 2023 at 8:52 AM Post #1,606 of 1,720
I am still amazed by the volume issues people have had since release.
I use my Bathys with a PC, iPad Pro M1, and an iPhone 15 Pro Max, wired, bluetooth, and Sennheiser BTD 600 and have never experienced an issue with volume controls. I don't even touch the headphone controls, I adjust on the playback device.

Dec 5, 2023 at 9:10 AM Post #1,608 of 1,720
I am still amazed by the volume issues people have had since release.
I use my Bathys with a PC, iPad Pro M1, and an iPhone 15 Pro Max, wired, bluetooth, and Sennheiser BTD 600 and have never experienced an issue with volume controls. I don't even touch the headphone controls, I adjust on the playback device.
I guess people are different. I prefer to adjust volume on the headphones and I find my ideal volume often falls between two levels. My phone might be on the other side of the room or in a pocket, so adjusting the headphones is more practical. And I guess it's what it's there for. It's the first time I can remember having this problem and I've had quite a lot of wireless headphones (Parrot Zik, B&W PX and P7w, Sennheiser Momentum 2 and PXC 550, B&O H9i and 3G, Dali IO-6 and the Bathys).

Dec 5, 2023 at 11:34 PM Post #1,609 of 1,720
I think for many, myself included, adjusting the volume on the device doesn’t solve the problem. The steps are just too large because the maximum volume is high and the optimal volume often falls somewhere in between. Other wireless headphones either have a lower maximum volume, or a larger number of volume levels that override the iPhone’s crude 20-level adjustment.

One solution might be to introduce an overall db slider in the EQ settings of the app.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2023 at 5:40 AM Post #1,610 of 1,720
Hi guys, since the 1.5.7 firmware update, when I'm using the Bathys in DAC mode with a Windows computer as a source, I experience a 1.5s delay before any sound playing, which ruins my listening experience as I would like to listen to the WHOLE track...
I tried factory reset, altering the connecting order of my cable and putting the dac mode on in every combination possible, still I cannot go back to a normal behavior. Does someone else got this issue too ?

Dec 6, 2023 at 9:41 AM Post #1,611 of 1,720
Hi guys, since the 1.5.7 firmware update, when I'm using the Bathys in DAC mode with a Windows computer as a source, I experience a 1.5s delay before any sound playing, which ruins my listening experience as I would like to listen to the WHOLE track...
I tried factory reset, altering the connecting order of my cable and putting the dac mode on in every combination possible, still I cannot go back to a normal behavior. Does someone else got this issue too ?
Have my Bathys on FW 1.5.7 as well and use it often in DAC-mode but usually from an iPad-Pro, some Android-devices and/or the Fiio R7 streamer (also Android) via USB-C.
Just testet it on a windows 10 PC and indeed it is a quite unstable now (in 48/24 same as in 96/24): From the 1-2 seconds without sound at start of tracks/media to a complete sudden stop of audio output. On another windows 10 laptop it is more stable and shows the delay in starting the playback only directly after connecting. Strange... worked without issues before and still works perfectly fine with my main devices mentioned above.

Dec 7, 2023 at 2:37 AM Post #1,612 of 1,720
I am experiencing strange behaviour with bluetooth and phone calls.

My phone is still iOS15.

The issue is I have to disconnect/reconnect because my voice gets robotic.

I am really happy with this headphone, but phone calls and MS Teams are abit cheap quality.

——

I removed the app and the settings are still the same: EQ and LED. Going to test it for a week

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2023 at 9:43 AM Post #1,613 of 1,720

My phone is still iOS15.

I am really happy with this headphone, but phone calls and MS Teams are abit cheap quality.

——

I removed the app and the settings are still the same: EQ and LED. Going to test it for a week
I'm using mine with Andriod, I don't have that issue. maybe someone using it with IOS can chime in.

Dec 8, 2023 at 3:23 AM Post #1,614 of 1,720
same issue with Win11 using my mobo bluetooth (which is supposed to be quite good). sometimes audio will just cease entirely and I will need to disconnect, unpair and then reconnect/pair the headphones to get it to work again. I find myself just using DAC mode often these days which kind of defeats the purpose. (they do sound fantastic, though.)

Dec 8, 2023 at 5:00 AM Post #1,615 of 1,720
Have my Bathys on FW 1.5.7 as well and use it often in DAC-mode but usually from an iPad-Pro, some Android-devices and/or the Fiio R7 streamer (also Android) via USB-C.
Just testet it on a windows 10 PC and indeed it is a quite unstable now (in 48/24 same as in 96/24): From the 1-2 seconds without sound at start of tracks/media to a complete sudden stop of audio output. On another windows 10 laptop it is more stable and shows the delay in starting the playback only directly after connecting. Strange... worked without issues before and still works perfectly fine with my main devices mentioned above.
Thank you for your feedback, will reach out to Focal support hoping for them to resolve the issue within the next few weeks/months

My phone is still iOS15.

——

Sadly I cannot reproduce as I'm on iOS 17, so far it worked pretty well recently in phone calls and Teams on latest iOS versions

Dec 8, 2023 at 10:38 AM Post #1,616 of 1,720
Can anyone please explain to me what these audio queues are in my head as I'm listening to general media on a Windows PC?
Sounds like a "Dung dung". "Dung Dang" it repeats it from time to time. is it a codec change or something particular?
My app is up to date and so is my firmware, as well as my pc's. I own a Dell XPS 15.
Thanks

Dec 13, 2023 at 10:16 AM Post #1,618 of 1,720
Can anyone please explain to me what these audio queues are in my head as I'm listening to general media on a Windows PC?
Sounds like a "Dung dung". "Dung Dang" it repeats it from time to time. is it a codec change or something particular?
My app is up to date and so is my firmware, as well as my pc's. I own a Dell XPS 15.
Thanks
If I'm not mistaken, it seems like you are describing a disconnect/reconnect tonality.
It happened to me a while ago when I was using multipoint between a Windows PC and my iPhone, I used to disable bluetooth on my iPhone to avoid these tonalities.
If I remember correctly, this behavior occurred during Teams calls, while the Windows PC was using the Focal Bathys - Headset virtual device
Does anyone know if there is a way to set the default volume? I fine the default volume a bit too loud. Kind of a hassle to have to press the volume down every time I turn on the Bathys.
I don't think we can set a default volume as of today unfortunately

Dec 17, 2023 at 3:15 PM Post #1,619 of 1,720
Hi i'm new here

I just bought Focal Bathys and updated to firmware 1.5.7 and I have a problem with the left side being approx. 3 db lower than the right side, does anyone else have that problem? is it possible to roll back to the previous firmware and have this problem fixed or what can be done?

Dec 17, 2023 at 4:38 PM Post #1,620 of 1,720
Well, I just bought the Bathys 5 days ago and I'm delighted, plus I have some honest insight in Bathys vs PX8 (and also vs Radiance and Celestee)

Context: I had over the ear headphones in the past, but switched to IEMs around 3 years ago. I had some Sonys (forgot the model, dynamic driver + balanced armature, 300 euroish), then upgraded to Campfire Audio Polaris 2, then to Dorado 2020 which I used for almost 2 years with various sources (Xperia smartphone, Fiio adapters, etc). I got sick of cables and not-so-easy to use adapters on the go, and decided to get rid of them and get a good all-round TWS BT IEM (realising and accepting a SQ dip). I got the B&W PI7s2 which were great, but had bad connection issues.

I returned them for servicing after less than a year, and the shop decided to refund me. I wanted to buy some other "hifi" bt TWS pair, so I decided to go with the new Devialet Gemini 2. I went to the store to try them out - they sounded great, amazing fit. But before purchasing them I wanted to try out some good over the ear headphones.

The guy told me the hottest hi-fi BT headphones they have are the BATHYS and PX8. I tried the PX8. Sounded good, looked great, good build. But tbh I didn't enjoy them vs the Devialet Gemini 2 (which are IEMs). I felt the sound much less clear and detailed. I then tried the Bathys. WOOOOW. They sounded PHENOMENAL. I A/B'd them a bit vs the PX8. To any PX8 owners out here, sorry, there is truly no comparison. I used them both connected to my phone through Aptx HD/Adaptive. The PX8 simply sound much more narrow and congested. No comparison. I was shocked.

I then, just for fun, wanted to try other closed (wired) Focal headphones just to get an idea what the company can do. I was offered the Celestee first. And tbh, after 2 songs (I didn't have all day to spend there), connected to an iFi Audio Go bar they had on hand connected to my smartphone (Xperia, Tidal as source), I honestly can say I liked the more "meaty" and airy (I know, it's a NC headphone vs a pure wired one, but this is how it sounded to me, more space, somehow) sound I experienced with the Bathys (via USB-c to my phone, not BT). The detail retrieval felt the same.

Then I tried the other closed-back Focals they had, the Radiance (hate the bentley logo on it but hey, it is what it is). Yeah, now I could clearly see a step up. Felt much better especially in the female vocals (tried some Whitney Huston), soundstage felt a bit bigger and overall it felt it had more spark. It wasn't "Twice as good" or "night and day" by any means, but the price was almost double, and this is a clear step up (Albeit wired, no NC, no integrated dac-amp).

In conclusion, the Bathys are AMAZING! They didn't have other coveted high end headphones like the Mark Levinsons or the T+A, but at least compared to the next similarly priced headphones, the PX8, they are worlds apart.

So I went in to buy a 400 euros pair of IEMS (Devialet Gemini 2), but the Bathys (which were discounted from 800 to 700 euros) converted me to over ear, and were clearly incomparable to the PX8, which were much more discounted (570 euros). These are all Romania prices (Where I live).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back