Focal Bathys - Wireless ANC Over-Ear Headphone
Nov 22, 2023 at 11:16 AM Post #1,561 of 1,720
I've been talking with the support on DAC mode issues with iOS devices. So far I have problems with both Ipad pro and Iphone 15 pro max when track resolution changes in Tidal. The Bathys stop playing till powered on/off. The support has no info on the problem and offering to send to repair. Any experience on those issues?

Nov 22, 2023 at 11:25 AM Post #1,562 of 1,720
I've been talking with the support on DAC mode issues with iOS devices. So far I have problems with both Ipad pro and Iphone 15 pro max when track resolution changes in Tidal. The Bathys stop playing till powered on/off. The support has no info on the problem and offering to send to repair. Any experience on those issues?
Yes, sent mine in. They said they couldn’t reproduce the problem and sent back a replacement which had the same issue.

Since then it has been reproduced by users here and by a helpful soul at Headphones.com.

It seems to be worse (or entirely) related to the use of Mimi sound personalization and playing playlists or tracks which have varying sample rates (e.g. going from 192 to lower resolutions). When I don’t have Mimi on it seems to work better.

I’ve asked folks here to contact Focal on this issue and have asked as well. Crickets. No response from Focal - we all need to follow up with them on this.

Rich

Nov 22, 2023 at 1:33 PM Post #1,563 of 1,720
Getting DAC mode to work on my Mac mini is driving me crazy... It has worked a few times, but now every time I try to connect it doesn't work. I have tried inserting the cable after putting the switch to DAC mode, and the other way around. When it did work it showed up under Settings > Sounds > sound output where I could select Focal Bathys.

But lately I have no luck entering DAC mode. It works on my iPhone 15 pro.

Am I doing something wrong?

Nov 22, 2023 at 8:56 PM Post #1,564 of 1,720
I just updated to the latest Bathys firmware about 4 hours ago and have been listening on my samsung phone in DAC mode ever since. Just put them down now. Something has changed with this firmware. I always though the Bathys were good, but they were somehow "dirty" sounding and I couldn't explain it. Now, in DAC mode, WOW. They sound like Radiance. Spectacular!

Nov 23, 2023 at 3:57 PM Post #1,565 of 1,720
I have to admit, after purchasing the Focal Clear headphones, I’ve been interested in the wireless Bathys. I do own the B&W P8 headphones and I can only fault them for have to play them a little too loud (for my hearing) to get the full spectrum of sound. So, with FC Bathys going on sale over the holidays I’m looking at them with much interest.

Question, is the DAC mode a direct wire to my DAC/Amp? If so how would these sound vs. my wired Focal Clear?

Nov 23, 2023 at 6:09 PM Post #1,567 of 1,720
New firmware supposedly addressing issues with dac mode for Mac users has just landed.
Glad to hear. Now if they could just address the wider wired DAC issue with no sound output with variable sample rates.

Happens on every device I have including Windows PC, iPhone, iPad, and my new Fiio M15S. :angry:

Rich

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2023 at 6:46 PM Post #1,568 of 1,720
I have to admit, after purchasing the Focal Clear headphones, I’ve been interested in the wireless Bathys. I do own the B&W P8 headphones and I can only fault them for have to play them a little too loud (for my hearing) to get the full spectrum of sound. So, with FC Bathys going on sale over the holidays I’m looking at them with much interest.

Question, is the DAC mode a direct wire to my DAC/Amp? If so how would these sound vs. my wired Focal Clear?

You can't use external HIFI components with Bathys. The DAC mode is just wired mode via USB instead of wireless mode via bluetooth. In either case you'd be connected to a phone, tablet, or PC. You can't use an external DAC amp with the Bathys (You can but the signal goes ADC>DSP>DAC in the Bathys which makes your external components pointless). The only amplification you actually HEAR in the Bathys is the internal amp in the headphones and the only signals you'll hear will come through the DSP and DAC. Even if you feed an analog signal into them they will still convert it to digital to process it. Bathys are mobile. If you want to use a DAC/AMP externally you'd have to go with a different model of Focal, and if that's the direction you wanted to go your Clear already sound better than Bathys will. Actually there are a lot of compromises in the design of the drivers in Bathys to make them very light weight so that the electronics and battery can be included without exceeding the weight target. Arguably, most other Focal stuff sounds better than Bathys. The only advantage of Bathys is how easily you can take them on the bus or the train etc or use them at work. Hope that makes sense.

Nov 24, 2023 at 11:38 AM Post #1,569 of 1,720
Yes, sent mine in. They said they couldn’t reproduce the problem and sent back a replacement which had the same issue.

Since then it has been reproduced by users here and by a helpful soul at Headphones.com.

It seems to be worse (or entirely) related to the use of Mimi sound personalization and playing playlists or tracks which have varying sample rates (e.g. going from 192 to lower resolutions). When I don’t have Mimi on it seems to work better.

I’ve asked folks here to contact Focal on this issue and have asked as well. Crickets. No response from Focal - we all need to follow up with them on this.

Rich
I retested with firmware 1.5.7 - new with iOS DacImprovement. The behavior has changed. When changing tracks there is now a small pause when the track resolution changes. When there is a problem, the Bathys now reboot themselves without manually switching them on and off. Those restarts still happen on track change but there are far less of those. I'd say that now the DAC mode is fairly usable.

Nov 24, 2023 at 3:03 PM Post #1,570 of 1,720

I've had both side by side, they are not even close to the Focal Clear in performance. Multiple leagues below in technical performance.

Nov 24, 2023 at 9:28 PM Post #1,571 of 1,720

Bathys sound not even close to Clear.

If you have the clear and want a closed back, you should consider Celestee.

It is a noticeable step up from bathys. If size, NC, BT features are not your priority, go for Celestee. It cost 200 more, but way more valuable than bathys.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2023 at 3:53 AM Post #1,572 of 1,720
Comparing openbacks to closed has almost no value. Clear may sound better, but only in a silent environment. They sound worse in a train, they sound worse in an office and if I'm home and can listen to openbacks I prefer to just switch the stereo on.

As for Celestee - try them first. I for one didn't like them at all and prefer Bathys' more organic and musical timbre.

Nov 25, 2023 at 7:29 AM Post #1,573 of 1,720
Comparing openbacks to closed has almost no value. Clear may sound better, but only in a silent environment. They sound worse in a train, they sound worse in an office and if I'm home and can listen to openbacks I prefer to just switch the stereo on.

As for Celestee - try them first. I for one didn't like them at all and prefer Bathys' more organic and musical timbre.
Celestee is neutral tuning. If this is not the case, try Radiance. It is more resolving and has similar organic timbre than Bathys. It is also more comfortable than Celestee. It cost more due to limited edition, but still is one of the best closed back under 2k

Nov 25, 2023 at 6:03 PM Post #1,574 of 1,720

Me too. :frowning2:

Nov 25, 2023 at 6:05 PM Post #1,575 of 1,720
Bathys sound not even close to Clear.

If you have the clear and want a closed back, you should consider Celestee.

It is a noticeable step up from bathys. If size, NC, BT features are not your priority, go for Celestee. It cost 200 more, but way more valuable than bathys.
I sold Celestee's and kept Bathys and Clears, Bathys are close to celestees and way more versitile. Clear is much better in quiet environment though and more comfy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back