Focal Bathys - Wireless ANC Over-Ear Headphone
Nov 15, 2022 at 9:22 AM Post #692 of 1,723
I understand that, however the Radiance is still miles better as a headphone with very good isolation.
How much extra did you need to spend on DAC/AMP for the Radiance?
I bet the price tag is at least twice what you pay for the Bathys, so might as well say "if youre willing to pony up double the price, plus chain yourself to a desk, plus fiddle around with accessories, then there are many better options than Bathys".

Nov 15, 2022 at 9:24 AM Post #693 of 1,723
How much extra did you need to spend on DAC/AMP for the Radiance?
I bet the price tag is at least twice what you pay for the Bathys, so might as well say "if youre willing to pony up double the price, plus chain yourself to a desk, plus fiddle around with accessories, then there are many better options than Bathys".
I have the budget for it so it’s ok. Not concerned about price, just performance.

Can use iFi Gryphon with Radiance as a wireless solution.

I cannot take Bathys outside as would be robbed in minutes. So this is a desk solution for watching TV at night.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2022 at 9:24 AM Post #694 of 1,723
I have the budget for it so it’s ok. Not concerned about price, just performance.

Can use iFi Gryphon with Radiance as a wireless solution
So get the Utopia then. Even better.

Nov 15, 2022 at 9:34 AM Post #696 of 1,723
No way i prefer Radiance as need noise iSolation. Already got Focal Ckear MG.

Also Radiance is nice with my Bentley.
I think this conversation really dragged on. The Radiance are excellent headphones and congrats on picking them up. I think we can all bow out gracefully and move one :beyersmile:

Nov 15, 2022 at 9:36 AM Post #697 of 1,723

I cannot take Bathys outside as would be robbed in minutes. So this is a desk solution for watching TV at night.
I worry someone is going to break into your home. Do you listen with the curtains closed?

Nov 15, 2022 at 9:37 AM Post #698 of 1,723
No way i prefer Radiance as need noise iSolation. Already got Focal Ckear MG.

Also Radiance is nice with my Bentley.
Cool.
But with Focal you need to drive a Renault.
I use the B&W PX8 as they are nice with my Aston Martin :)

Nov 15, 2022 at 10:58 AM Post #700 of 1,723
The issue with the Bathys is it needs good quality source as it is very unforgiving.
Often and especially female voices are hollow and can sound very harsh.
I think quite a few have picked up on this experience with them.

Another major negative is the poor implementation of AptX Adaptive which fails to play a device with AptX HD. Both PX8 and Senn MM4 has correct AptX Adaptive implementation as they will play AptX HD as AptX HD from a source device that has AptX HD, but not the newer AptX Adaptive. And yes you can hear difference between AptX vs AptX HD.

To simplify AptX Adaptive is on spec compatible with AptX HD, so it will support it.
However Bathys implementation will only play basic AptX on a device that has AptX HD.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2022 at 11:38 AM Post #702 of 1,723
The issue with the Bathys is it needs good quality source as it is very unforgiving.

Another major negative is the poor implementation of AptX Adaptive which fails to play a device with AptX HD. Both PX8 and Senn MM4 has correct AptX Adaptive implementation as they will play AptX HD as AptX HD from a source device that has AptX HD, but not the newer AptX Adaptive. And yes you can hear difference between AptX vs AptX HD.

To simplify AptX Adaptive is on spec compatible with AptX HD, so it will support it.
However Bathys implementation will only play basic AptX on a device that has AptX HD.
Agree with your observations.
Also I thought the implementation of AAC was a bit so-so. To my ears, on iPhone B&W PX8 did this better.

Nov 15, 2022 at 11:44 AM Post #703 of 1,723

If budget ain't an issue take it up a notch and grab a Stellia. I use them with iFi Go Blu and it's absolutely insane what they can do even over bluetooth. Strong upgrade from Celestee/Elegia (and I'd bet Radiance).

Not surprised Radiance edges Bathys out in a big way. Makes DMS' odd review even more surprising, saying he swapped Radiance for Bathys as he actually prefers the sound quality of the latter. Must be a very personal preference.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2022 at 11:47 AM Post #704 of 1,723

So I actually solved my two issues with the Bathys (volume steps and Not falling back to Aptx HD) with the this form Creative Labs. It works flawlessly and connects my S22 Ultra and Pixel 7 Pro via Aptx Adaptive.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09WZSHZN2?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
51jE207eVVL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Nov 15, 2022 at 11:57 AM Post #705 of 1,723

Users who are viewing this thread

Back