Focal Bathys - Wireless ANC Over-Ear Headphone
Nov 6, 2023 at 6:21 AM Post #1,517 of 1,723
The app is a bit annoying as for some reason it has some form of over 12 restriction on it so on my son's iPhone he cant see it as I have restricted access to any apps for over 12 year olds - I will mail them and get them to change as there is zero reason why a headphone app shouldn't be universal

Nov 6, 2023 at 8:56 AM Post #1,518 of 1,723
Most phones, Android and IOS only have 15 volume steps. That is the issue, not the Bathys

This is not true. Is true that iOS devices and MacBooks have natively 16 volume steps (not 15), but this extreme big jumps in volume steps is a problem only or principally with the Bathys. I owning about 50 wireless earphones and headphones in my life and is ONLY with the Bathys that this problem is so terrible and intolerable. And is one of 3 reasons I returning my Bathys one year ago.

Headphones from Sony, Bose, Bowers & Wilkins or Dali offering 30-32 steps with iOS or MacBooks, and the AirPods Max is the best giving you many, many more very precise volume steps. And even the headphones that offering only 16 steps aren't making so big jumps between one step and the other like the Bathys.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2023 at 9:34 AM Post #1,519 of 1,723
This is not true. Is true that iOS devices and MacBooks have natively 16 volume steps (not 15), but this extreme big jumps in volume steps is a problem only or principally with the Bathys. I owning about 50 wireless earphones and headphones in my life and is ONLY with the Bathys that this problem is so terrible and intolerable. And is one of 3 reasons I returning my Bathys one year ago.

Headphones from Sony, Bose, Bowers & Wilkins or Dali offering 30-32 steps with iOS or MacBooks, and the AirPods Max is the best giving you many, many more very precise volume steps. And even the headphones that offering only 16 steps aren't making so big jumps between one step and the other like the Bathys.
Well, that´s a pitty. All I can say to you guys, is: Buy yourself a cheap Samsung (I have the s10e) and then, with the Sound assistant app, you can change everything from 1dB steps to 2dB steps etc. That´s a great tool!

Nov 6, 2023 at 9:56 AM Post #1,520 of 1,723
Precise volume does not work with Sony Xperia 1 V very well. I can still hear gaps in DB, not sure if hey are smaller because for some reason while running the app the music was skipping quite a bit. So i uninstalled it, when i have some free time i will try to find another app

Nov 6, 2023 at 12:11 PM Post #1,521 of 1,723
I was doing some digging and on other forums, people have complained about the volume issue and even contacted Focal about it. Doesn't seem like Customer Service is concerned with it though, as it could most likely be fixed with a firmware update.

Nov 6, 2023 at 1:30 PM Post #1,522 of 1,723
I'll just add here - I am trying out the Bathys and love the sound (don't love that I can't disable ANC, but that's a separate issue) and the volume steps are a big issue for me. One step is just little too quiet. The next step up is gigantic and just way too loud. I am on iOS and even using Shortcuts to specify an exact volume percent doesn't work (that's an iOS issue). I'm usually hanging around the 45-55% volume level on iOS, and I can't find that Goldilocks zone. One step is too quiet, the next step is much too loud.

I don't want to have to buy a 2nd phone just to use with these headphones - defeats the purpose of bluetooth cans being convenient more than anything IMO.

I don't have this issue with the PX8, PX7's, or any other bluetooth can I've ever tried. For some reason the built-in volume steps on the Bathys are just really big. It's a shame, because they sound great and it would be a no-brainer for me if this wasn't an issue; as-is, it's making me want to return them because finding the right volume level is really frustrating.

Nov 6, 2023 at 1:40 PM Post #1,523 of 1,723
I'll just add here - I am trying out the Bathys and love the sound (don't love that I can't disable ANC, but that's a separate issue) and the volume steps are a big issue for me. One step is just little too quiet. The next step up is gigantic and just way too loud. I am on iOS and even using Shortcuts to specify an exact volume percent doesn't work (that's an iOS issue). I'm usually hanging around the 45-55% volume level on iOS, and I can't find that Goldilocks zone. One step is too quiet, the next step is much too loud.

I don't want to have to buy a 2nd phone just to use with these headphones - defeats the purpose of bluetooth cans being convenient more than anything IMO.

I don't have this issue with the PX8, PX7's, or any other bluetooth can I've ever tried. For some reason the built-in volume steps on the Bathys are just really big. It's a shame, because they sound great and it would be a no-brainer for me if this wasn't an issue; as-is, it's making me want to return them because finding the right volume level is really frustrating.
Most of us think that gap in dB is a little annoying. But the music quality is very good for wireless headphones. I would never return them just for dB gap

Nov 6, 2023 at 1:51 PM Post #1,524 of 1,723
Most of us think that gap in dB is a little annoying. But the music quality is very good for wireless headphones. I would never return them just for dB gap
Yes but my preferred listening volume falls right inside that gap! So the cans are always either too quiet or too loud for my tastes, and it's extra frustrating because I know how good they sound 😭😭😭

Nov 6, 2023 at 2:24 PM Post #1,525 of 1,723
Yes but my preferred listening volume falls right inside that gap! So the cans are always either too quiet or too loud for my tastes, and it's extra frustrating because I know how good they sound 😭😭😭
Feel the same exact way. It's beyond frustrating.

If you're going to deliver an Audiophile grade product (which Focal obviously is more than familiar with), they should know that this type of issue will cause strife within their customer base.

Nov 6, 2023 at 2:49 PM Post #1,526 of 1,723

Feel the same exact way. It's beyond frustrating.

If you're going to deliver an Audiophile grade product (which Focal obviously is more than familiar with), they should know that this type of issue will cause strife within their customer base.
Have you guys tried the „Volume Pro“ app for iOS? It’s free and you can adjust to a specific volume!! Give it a try, it might solve your problem 🤞

Nov 6, 2023 at 4:25 PM Post #1,529 of 1,723
Android here, I tried an app that didn't work so well. Music sound skipped
Sorry, I am sure this is obvious and has been tried… you can separately adjust phone and headset volume on Android. Maybe being able to adjust both can get you to the volume you are looking for (if you have Android device)… (If you are unfamiliar with it, you need to go into developer settings and select “Disable absolute volume”). Sorry if that is both obvious and redundant.

Nov 6, 2023 at 11:17 PM Post #1,530 of 1,723
Sorry, I am sure this is obvious and has been tried… you can separately adjust phone and headset volume on Android. Maybe being able to adjust both can get you to the volume you are looking for (if you have Android device)… (If you are unfamiliar with it, you need to go into developer settings and select “Disable absolute volume”). Sorry if that is both obvious and redundant.
This is a very interesting solution. Did not think about this. I will try it out today. Thank you for the tip

Users who are viewing this thread

Back