Focal Bathys Hi-Fi Bluetooth & ANC Headphones: Early Impressions
Jan 20, 2024 at 8:43 AM Post #1,591 of 1,712
Purely subjective reply on this from me but I listen to a lot of rock, punk and some metal and I think the Bathys sound great. Much better than any other bluetooth ANC that I've heard.

Some bands in those areas that I think sound great on the Bathys are:

Blood Command
Turnstile
Drug Church
Dinosaur Pileup
The Rolling Stones
Ghost
AC/DC
Slayer
Metallica
In This Moment
Idles

Though to be honest with you they do reveal the quality of the recordings quite a bit, and I'd argue that most rock and metal is not well recorded or mastered. I wouldn't say that they make poorly recorded music sound bad, but they have good detail and sense of space to highlight the differences in the better quality recordings. From that list above albums from Rolling Stones, ACDC, and Slayer sound above the rest, with generally better imaging, spatial presence, detail and presence to each instrumental. You also notice quite a few errors in the mixing and mastering process on some albums, for instance while I enjoy the band and their albums overall, Ghost's latest album (Impera) is a bit of a mess in places, with small instances of clipping on the guitars in various tracks that are noticable, or at least more noticable on the Bathys.

Moving away from that topic, I don't think these are good headphones for hiking and traveling in truth. While they have good build quality they have no IPX rating, they make no effort to deliberately waterproof the internals, so any rain would risk damaging the headphone. The case might be water proof, it's hard to tell, but given that it includes a lot of fabric it would hold a bit of water, not ideal if you're traveling.

I live in England and it rains all the time, and I wouldn't take them on long walks unless I was willing to take my backpack and case and the case takes a fair amount of space in a bag which you might not want on a hike. I think you're better off with something more robust if hiking and travelling are a primary use case. I feel anxious even taking them for a walk down to the corner shop in case it starts raining.
Hi, I love the Stones and other rock outfits like Dire Straits and Classic 70s, 80s rock. I too live in England and would like to know how the volume is on the Bathys? With EU volume restrictions it’s difficult to know if they will be loud enough for me given that my earring is not quite what it was. I’ve had most mainstream headphones and they tend to be just about loud enough for me including the AirPods Max that i currently have but the Focal Bathys are tempting me, clearly they are better sounding but I just couldn’t handle an headphone like a B&O or similar that just do not get loud enough. Any help would be appreciated thank you

Jan 20, 2024 at 9:34 AM Post #1,592 of 1,712
Hi, I love the Stones and other rock outfits like Dire Straits and Classic 70s, 80s rock. I too live in England and would like to know how the volume is on the Bathys? With EU volume restrictions it’s difficult to know if they will be loud enough for me given that my earring is not quite what it was. I’ve had most mainstream headphones and they tend to be just about loud enough for me including the AirPods Max that i currently have but the Focal Bathys are tempting me, clearly they are better sounding but I just couldn’t handle an headphone like a B&O or similar that just do not get loud enough. Any help would be appreciated thank you
Sony XB910N might suit you well and is less than half the price.

Jan 20, 2024 at 10:14 AM Post #1,593 of 1,712
Everyone is looking for the golden sound unicorn. The holy grail. And they are willing to spend 10s of thousands trying to find perfection. Some can hear minute differences in DACs Amps and even cables. But if you’ve found something that you love be happy.

Sony XB910N might suit you well and is less than half the price.
Had the Sony xm4’s a while back and other than fantastic nc was very disappointed sound-wise with them so I think the Sony route will not be for me. Best mainstream headphones I owned were the B&W P7 wireless which I loved but have never been able to find that feeling since certainly not with bower and Wilkins next 2 the px and px7 so I thought I may give the Bathys a go but am a bit reluctant at spending so much if they are not going to be up to it volume wise which they may or may not be but thank you for your tip

Jan 20, 2024 at 11:01 AM Post #1,596 of 1,712
Remember that Focal app for the Bathys has MIMI built in, which tests your hearing (each ear separately) and adjusts the response accordingly. It works great (I have mine at about 30% of the full adjustment, and I'm in my late 60s with some hearing loss, with one ear worse than the other). And for classic 70s & 80s rock I can't imagine a headphone using Bluetooth that is significantly better until you go much further up the price range to the T+A. Plus you can use the Bathys directly via USB-C from a source and not use Bluetooth; that sounds even better. No idea about the EU restrictions, but you just got a response from someone in Germany! The reviews of several Bluetooth headphones from Darko, who is in Germany, don't mention any issues with volume limitations (and he loves the Bathys).

And Dire Straits sounds wonderful on these headphones!

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2024 at 11:19 AM Post #1,598 of 1,712
Remember that Focal app for the Bathys has MIMI built in, which tests your hearing (each ear separately) and adjusts the response accordingly. It works great (I have mine at about 30% of the full adjustment, and I'm in my late 60s with some hearing loss, with one ear worse than the other). And for classic 70s & 80s rock I can't imagine a headphone using Bluetooth that is significantly better until you go much further up the price range to the T+A. Plus you can use the Bathys directly via USB-C from a source and not use Bluetooth; that sounds even better. No idea about the EU restrictions, but you just got a response from someone in Germany! The reviews of several Bluetooth headphones from Darko, who is in Germany, don't mention any issues with volume limitations (and he loves the Bathys).

And Dire Straits sounds wonderful on these headphones!
Thank you that was a great detailed answer and has pretty much made my mind up.

Jan 21, 2024 at 5:18 PM Post #1,601 of 1,712
I‘m from the UK and own the Bathys and upgraded from a pair of AirPod Max’s. They are definitely loud enough and I’m very pleased with its overall sound. They sound spacious and very detailed with a lovely bass that’s not too overpowering. Give them an audition to make sure, but they are a worthy upgrade from the AirPod maxs.

Jan 21, 2024 at 11:21 PM Post #1,602 of 1,712
Hi, I'm in the market for a quality Wireless Headphone. and I have a few questions to ask.

Sorry if this have been ask before, I heard that Focal Bathys requires to be ON for use. If the Focal Bathys is low on Battery, will it charge fast enough for continues use? How long does it take to charge from 0 to Full? and is there a noticable difference in Sound quality in 3.5mm and USB C DAC mode compared to BT? Which sounds Best in your opinion?

Thanks

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2024 at 11:35 PM Post #1,603 of 1,712
Hi, I'm in the market for a quality Wireless Headphone. and I have a few questions to ask.

Sorry if this have been ask before, I heard that Focal Bathys requires to be ON for use. If the Focal Bathys is low on Battery, will it charge fast enough to be continues use? How long does it take to charge from 0 to Full? and is there a noticable difference in Sound quality in 3.5mm and USB C DAC mode compared to BT? Which sounds Best in your opinion?

Thanks
The good thing is that they charge really fast. 1.5 hours to full. 15 minutes will give you 5 hours of charge. USB c is the best sound, then BT and then 3.5. The 3.5 is the worst thing about Bathys. Otherwise they are great

Jan 22, 2024 at 4:06 AM Post #1,604 of 1,712
I have an issue with my Bathys in that nearly every time I go to use them they do not initially connect with my phone. I am using a IPhone and they are in my Bluetooth device list.

I have to give them a quick charge and then they connect. Any thoughts are much appreciated .

Jan 25, 2024 at 5:00 PM Post #1,605 of 1,712
I have an issue with my Bathys in that nearly every time I go to use them they do not initially connect with my phone. I am using a IPhone and they are in my Bluetooth device list.

I have to give them a quick charge and then they connect. Any thoughts are much appreciated .
I sometimes have to put them into pairing mode then they quickly connect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back