Focal Bathys Hi-Fi Bluetooth & ANC Headphones: Early Impressions
Dec 27, 2023 at 7:05 AM Post #1,576 of 1,711
After doing the firmware update, I was doing some listening in a very quiet room and the hiss with Bluetooth and DAC mode is (still) terrible, both in soft and silent. I'm susceptible to fatigue and was wondering why they were fatiguing me almost instantly.

Can anyone else hear the hiss at all? I'm wondering if it's my unit.
i forgot one thing. you might try turning of the lights on Bathys. they can create a hum, as several people has pointed out before

Dec 27, 2023 at 8:29 AM Post #1,577 of 1,711
i forgot one thing. you might try turning of the lights on Bathys. they can create a hum, as several people has pointed out before
Yup I turned them off using the app. It gets rid of it so it’s ok.

Dec 27, 2023 at 5:05 PM Post #1,579 of 1,711
I'm looking for some Bathys, if anyone sells theirs, send me PM 😉

Dec 31, 2023 at 2:51 AM Post #1,581 of 1,711
Having a minor, but annoying issue with my Bathys. I can't get Google Assistant to work. I've tried resetting the headphones, resetting Bluetooth on my phone (Xperia 1 V) and installing firmware from the app (I've tried Alexa then going back to Google). Setup works and I can get Assistant to work once, but once I turn off the headphones and reconnect I've no Google - either headphones tell me to hold down the button to speak to Google and nothing happens or I just get a beep and the Assistant does not engage.

Any ideas? I should say my Sony WH-1000XM5s are working with Google Assistant without issue.

Jan 2, 2024 at 7:02 PM Post #1,582 of 1,711
The Creative BT-W5 works great with my MacBook Pro M1, giving me the ability to connect using aptX Adaptive, and will deal with up to 24/96 files from Audirvana. This is a VERY tiny USB-C dongle connecting with Bluetooth 5.3. I did have to try a half-dozen times to get the Bathys to connect to the BT-W5, but it works now, even from a powered industrial USB 3.1 hub attached to the underside of my desktop that is fed from an OWC Thunderbolt4 dock. The sound is excellent for Bluetooth.
An update. The cheaper aliexpress Yet 10P (the 24-bit version) does not have the range of the Creative BT-W5, even though it has an antenna. Dropouts of the sound happen when much closer to the transmitter.

Jan 4, 2024 at 9:49 PM Post #1,583 of 1,711
Well as much as I love the Bathys, my pair decided to only make sound out of one side only. It's strictly been on work office duty last year and it has been sitting in my work bag over christmas. New year comes and first day back in the office, the right side doesn't make a sound. Not even the start up chime. Reset, nothing. Fully charged, nothing, Restored to factory setting and still nothing. This is now my second pair in replacement and less than one year old despite "technically" out of warranty from my original purchase. Not what you'd reasonably expect from any headphones let alone from a premium brand like Focal. It's sent back to the Australian distributor now for assessment. More to come..

Jan 5, 2024 at 4:04 AM Post #1,584 of 1,711
Well as much as I love the Bathys, my pair decided to only make sound out of one side only. It's strictly been on work office duty last year and it has been sitting in my work bag over christmas. New year comes and first day back in the office, the right side doesn't make a sound. Not even the start up chime. Reset, nothing. Fully charged, nothing, Restored to factory setting and still nothing. This is now my second pair in replacement and less than one year old despite "technically" out of warranty from my original purchase. Not what you'd reasonably expect from any headphones let alone from a premium brand like Focal. It's sent back to the Australian distributor now for assessment. More to come..
Sad to hear. Mine have been heavily used last 7 month. Many airplane trips. a couple trips to offshore platforms with helicopter. So far so good. hopefully it will stay that way for a while.

Jan 15, 2024 at 12:47 PM Post #1,586 of 1,711
Question for any iPhone 15 Pro users out there: do you need an OTG cable to use the Bathys in DAC mode, or does a regular USB-C/USB-C cable work?

Jan 15, 2024 at 3:02 PM Post #1,588 of 1,711
Thanks! Just what I hoped to hear. Much appreciated.

Jan 16, 2024 at 11:21 PM Post #1,589 of 1,711
Just checking in to say, that after continuing to work with Mimi's intensity level and the built in EQ together for very slight preference tweaks over what she tested me for, I am continuing to be blown away by Bathys now and then. I *highly* doubt any other Focal (or even headphone, at this point) could work so well for me, as I love this ability to customize the sound in depth.

The only way this could be better is if Mimi was the EQ and I could directly edit her correction curve in a LOT of detail in the app. For a power-user, it makes other headphones kind of seem... ridiculous? Especially at their price points.

What does that sound like to people who own more expensive setups? I think frequency response, provided there is low enough distortion in general to not disturb overall fidelity too much, is the most important variable in being able to hear clearly, especially if you already have some hearing damage (I can't hear much over 13k).

Jan 17, 2024 at 6:48 AM Post #1,590 of 1,711
Just checking in to say, that after continuing to work with Mimi's intensity level and the built in EQ together for very slight preference tweaks over what she tested me for, I am continuing to be blown away by Bathys now and then. I *highly* doubt any other Focal (or even headphone, at this point) could work so well for me, as I love this ability to customize the sound in depth.

The only way this could be better is if Mimi was the EQ and I could directly edit her correction curve in a LOT of detail in the app. For a power-user, it makes other headphones kind of seem... ridiculous? Especially at their price points.

What does that sound like to people who own more expensive setups? I think frequency response, provided there is low enough distortion in general to not disturb overall fidelity too much, is the most important variable in being able to hear clearly, especially if you already have some hearing damage (I can't hear much over 13k).
Everyone is looking for the golden sound unicorn. The holy grail. And they are willing to spend 10s of thousands trying to find perfection. Some can hear minute differences in DACs Amps and even cables. But if you’ve found something that you love be happy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back