Focal Bathys Hi-Fi Bluetooth & ANC Headphones: Early Impressions
Oct 19, 2022 at 6:00 PM Post #376 of 1,729
Samsung is the only major phone manufacturer that excludes Apt-X Adaptive

Therein lies the problem for me. Not only does Samsung not support APTX adaptive, APTX-HD as a fixed codec is also missing. That gives a slightly bigger difference...

And while I agree that sometimes there's less audible difference that can be heard between a good APTX implementation and a bad APTX-HD implementation, I usually am perfectly able to discern between APTX, APTX-HD and LDAC.

Note: There are devices like for example my old FiiO m15 DAP that allow manual codec selection. Ideal to compare the difference between codecs (with identical source and headphones). So in my case I was able to empirically ascertain that I can hear the difference .. 🎧😎

Oct 19, 2022 at 6:17 PM Post #377 of 1,729
Therein lies the problem for me. Not only does Samsung not support APTX adaptive, APTX-HD as a fixed codec is also missing. That gives a slightly bigger difference...

And while I agree that sometimes there's less audible difference that can be heard between a good APTX implementation and a bad APTX-HD implementation, I usually am perfectly able to discern between APTX, APTX-HD and LDAC.

Note: There are devices like for example my old FiiO m15 DAP that allow manual codec selection. Ideal to compare the difference between codecs (with identical source and headphones). So in my case I was able to empirically ascertain that I can hear the difference .. 🎧😎
To be fair, I did not imply or mean to imply, others do not hear a difference. My ears do not really hear a "major" noticeable difference between the Bluetooth on Samsung and having it plugged into the DAC port. There was a difference, right away I had to almost max the volume when using the DAC mode; and it felt less muddy in the midst maybe. But if I am being honest with myself, it was a very minor difference to my ears.

As to the person asking why they spent $800 on wireless headphones if they want to only use them in DAC mode... Travel reduction in weight and equipment. A well designed closed loop system in which the designers and tuners create the DAC, Amp, and Drivers to work with a very specific sound profile you like is totally worth $800. You do not have to carry around and plug in a studio while sitting at the airport or on a plane. For most it does not matter, for some of us those extra items and steps gets old on trip 70 of the year.

Also, if the designers put in ANC correctly and tunes the headphones to account for it... Just another travel bonus.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2022 at 6:18 PM Post #378 of 1,729
I tried the Px8 and the Bathys. I returned the Px8s. Both are mighty but I preferred the presentation of the Bathys, especially for EDM. No regrets!

I have two questions.
1. Does anyone know what the most recent firmware update addressed?
2. Would anyone mind recommending a decent USB C to USB C cable. The version that comes with it sounds ok / is ok lengthwise but I prefer a cable with low/no flex memory - much like a 3.5mm cable with a super flexible lead. I don’t want/need a charger cable. Thanks everyone.

Oct 19, 2022 at 6:23 PM Post #379 of 1,729
You may wonder why someone who does not hear the difference in AptX and USB DAC very much would shell out the $800.

I am a firm believer in perception is reality when it comes to sound. Many studies have shown that if you believe your money was well spent, you will enjoy the product more. Even people who do not have the money will often think item A will sound better than item B after being told item A was substantially more than item B. I am a pragmatist.

Oct 19, 2022 at 6:25 PM Post #380 of 1,729
I tried the Px8 and the Bathys. I returned the Px8s. Both are mighty but I preferred the presentation of the Bathys, especially for EDM. No regrets!

I have two questions.
2. Would anyone mind recommending a decent USB C to USB C cable. The version that comes with it sounds ok / is ok lengthwise but I prefer a cable with low/no flex memory - much like a 3.5mm cable with a super flexible lead. I don’t want/need a charger cable. Thanks everyone.
Anker USB-C to USB-C Cable, 643 Cable 100W 6ft, USB 2.0 Type C Charging Cable Fast Charge for MacBook Pro 2020, iPad Pro 2020, iPad Air 4, iPad Mini 6, Galaxy S21, Pixel, Switch (Midnight Black) https://a.co/d/gsyktSj

They do not sound better, but it is a much nicer cable all around.

Oct 20, 2022 at 12:01 AM Post #381 of 1,729
To my ears the sound of bluetooth is like nails scratching chalkboard in the background of whatever is playing. I can't listen to anything in bluetooth mode, casually or critically.
Maybe Apt-X adaptive sound smoother. I shall find out when my BT transmitter arrives.
That doesn't make any sense to me. The main thing that BT does is slightly compress the spectrum and chop off everything above 15Khz, which I can not hear most of now anyway.

How is that comparable to nails on a blackboard? It's the exact opposite.

Oct 20, 2022 at 12:17 AM Post #382 of 1,729
That doesn't make any sense to me. The main thing that BT does is slightly compress the spectrum and chop off everything above 15Khz, which I can not hear most of now anyway.

How is that comparable to nails on a blackboard? It's the exact opposite.
I found some measurements here. The noise floor of BT is quite high in sibilant region.
https://www.soundguys.com/the-ultimate-guide-to-bluetooth-aptx-and-aptx-hd-19914/
https://www.soundguys.com/the-ultimate-guide-to-bluetooth-headphones-aac-20296/

I can still hear 19 kHz so I might be more sensitive to high frequency harshness.

Oct 20, 2022 at 5:29 AM Post #383 of 1,729

Implementation is crucial.
I remember when I switched with the PXC 550 II from a Samsung phone Aptx HD/LDAC to an iPad AAC and the iPad was way more enjoyable, even tho it has less bandwidth.
Always solid, smooth sound with enough details and spacial coherence, never ever a drop or a change in quality.
AAC on the Samsung was awful too.

A codec per se has a potential value, that’s it, not a fixed value. You must hear how both ends implements it.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2022 at 6:05 AM Post #384 of 1,729

I have two questions.
I tried AudioQuest Carbon. It’s not as good as the stock cable. It does not sound bad per se, but it tips the balance of the original presentation. So I recommend sticking to the stock cable.

Oct 20, 2022 at 11:51 AM Post #386 of 1,729
I expect negative comments by the agenda driven gang on these and other high performance Bluetooth and USB headphones... Tylll Herstens was right, as it's the future.
No need for $1k DAC, $1k amp and $2k worth of interconnects/cables (and that's the low end stuff 🤪).
I love it.. impedance load/amp matching. Optimized freq response, max power transfer.....etc....
Sweet!!!!!

Given that, Focal I'm sure can make these much better, but doesn't want to compete with their own higher priced products. At least for now...

Oct 20, 2022 at 11:57 AM Post #387 of 1,729

I have two questions.
Bathys are just killer for electronic music. I'd say that of Focals in general. A friend of mine at Convince me Audio said in his review of Stellia he thinks they might be the best headphone in the world for EDM, and he owns Susvara and a crazy chain lol. Something about Focal imaging coupled with the forwardness of the treble is just brill for that type of music imo.
I expect negative comments by the agenda driven gang on these and other high performance Bluetooth and USB headphones... Tylll Herstens was right, as it's the future.
No need for $1k DAC, $1k amp and $2k worth of interconnects/cables (and that's the low end stuff 🤪).
I love it.. impedance load/amp matching. Optimized freq response, max power transfer.....etc....
Sweet!!!!!

Given that, Focal I'm sure can make these much better, but doesn't want to compete with their own higher priced products. At least for now...
I'm sure Focal could launch an Elegia sized BT headphone with even better performance, but they limited by portability and image constraints. Not many people want to walk around with full sized Focals. Until they do I think performance will be limited.

Oct 20, 2022 at 1:05 PM Post #388 of 1,729
Tried the Bathys today at the shop.
Very comfortable, Bluetooth sounds good (they were new pair, straight out of the box).
BUT, when I connected them to my S22 ultra via USB the DAC just didn't work.
The S22 indicated that It went to charging mode.
Tried to look for USB definitions, even in developer mode but nothing helped...
Anyone has an idea how to solve this?
(Of course the Bathys were in DAC mode)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back