Focal Bathys Hi-Fi Bluetooth & ANC Headphones: Early Impressions
Oct 19, 2022 at 4:04 PM Post #362 of 1,739
Not my experience at all. I lock LDAC at 990kbps for my Sony headphones and I've only ever had a dropout when in large crowds of people (presumably too much interference). LDAC has a fantastic bitrate, 990 is more than twice the max bitrate of AptX Adaptive (420). AptX Adaptive isn't even supported on the majority of phones; and not on Samsung (the largest Android manufacturer). LDAC has been part of Android for 5+ years and is on every single Android phone since then. Any expensive ANC headphone claiming superior sound quality should support it. Why would I want to buy at great expense e.g. a Focal Bathys or B&W PX8 only to have it use the mediocre aptX basic on my S22 Ultra? Those manufacturers are very lucky this is not called out more in reviews.
The sound quality difference between Bluetooth codecs are so small that even the most discerning audiophiles would ignore. LDAC is lossy and non-bit-perfect anyway. Most new Android phones do support Apt-X Adaptive. Samsung is the only major phone manufacturer that excludes Apt-X Adaptive.
The real problem is that Focal doesn't implement any upsampling solution to get rid of the lossy harshness. Despite of Bluetooth being useless, the Bathys is still great value. When using USB connection, it sounds much better than Focal Celestee on Chord Mojo 2 + Poly (total cost over 2X the MSRP of Bathys). It's much more convenient than using a DAP or External DAC with phone.

Oct 19, 2022 at 4:14 PM Post #363 of 1,739
Ok,

First, these headphones met all my expectations. The first song I play on new headphones is Muse Breaks Rmx by Infected Mushroom. No complaints, honestly.

Secondly, for those wondering, USB DAC mode works perfect on the Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra.

Pic, because...20221019_145722.jpg
Have you noticed the Bathys did change its characteristics quite a bit during the burn-in period?
Within two weeks I've changed my mind on Bathys many times over. I got curious so I bought a second pair for comparison. I put them side by side, 60 hr use vs brand new, the new pair did sound quite muffled. After two hours the new pair start to sound really smooth, even the BT mode presents no harshness at all. After that it became more and more squeakier and not listenable, just like the old pair on its second day.
I am looping some playlists to burn-in the second pair. Hopefully, both pairs would sound the same over time.

Oct 19, 2022 at 4:18 PM Post #364 of 1,739
One last thought...

I only want to mention this because I have read these lean towards the dark side; and though I do think they present bass more prominently than other "reference" headphones, they are still plenty bright.

I always start with the song Muse Breaks Rmx by Infected Mushroom. I use this to level set the volume in which I am listening to. I tend to listen to my volume a little higher than the "average" user I believe based on other people I know IRL. I have a full rotation of songs I go through. But for this post I want to say that when I got to Brass Monkey by the Beastie Boy's... it got very tiring by the end of the song because it presents the highs in a way that is by no way dark. As an example I cannot listen to that song on my Sennheiser HD 800S at my normal listening volume because they are just too bright.

I am by no way an audiophile reviewer. I am an average listener who listens to a wide variety of music, and I can say these are the best wireless headphone I have ever worn from a sound perspective. For my ears, they present better than the No. 5909. YMMV.

Oct 19, 2022 at 4:20 PM Post #365 of 1,739
Have you noticed the Bathys did change its characteristics quite a bit during the burn-in period?
Within two weeks I've changed my mind on Bathys many times over. I got curious so I bought a second pair for comparison. I put them side by side, 60 hr use vs brand new, the new pair did sound quite muffled. After two hours the new pair start to sound really smooth, even the BT mode presents no harshness at all. After that it became more and more squeakier and not listenable, just like the old pair on its second day.
I am looping some playlists to burn-in the second pair. Hopefully, both pairs would sound the same over time.

Still working in the burn in. I hope they do not get too much brighter.

Oct 19, 2022 at 4:21 PM Post #366 of 1,739
Sorry, my english is not so very good. I will get the Bathys at the beginning of the next week. I have read this thread and I have a maybe stupid question. Perhaps I do not understand it right. In the manual I have found that you can use the included USB C-cable for charging the Bathys or for listening to music via DAC. For listening to music via DAC on my iphone I need for example the ddHiFi TC28i PRO to connect the USB C to lightning. So far so good. Now my question: I have an USB C to lightning cable (for charging my Airpods Max). Is it possible to connect the Bathys to my iphone only with this cable and listen to music via DAC?
This adapter works. https://www.zorloo.com/product-page/lightning-to-usb-c-receptacle-adapter-for-ztella

AudioQuest makes lightning to USB-C cables. They don't work.

Use the stock cable. It sounds better than Audioquest Carbon USB-C cable. So don't bother upgrading it.

The Bathys really needs 40 hour burn-in period to settle its sound characteristics. Be patient.

Oct 19, 2022 at 4:25 PM Post #368 of 1,739
Oct 19, 2022 at 4:51 PM Post #371 of 1,739
Despite of Bluetooth being useless, the Bathys is still great value. When using USB connection, it sounds much better than Focal Celestee on Chord Mojo 2 + Poly (total cost over 2X the MSRP of Bathys). It's much more convenient than using a DAP or External DAC with phone.

Press X to doubt

Oct 19, 2022 at 4:59 PM Post #373 of 1,739
Press X to doubt
This may make me a pariah here but honestly...

For casual listening I do not feel any difference between the AptX (Non HD, Non Adaptive on the Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra) and USB DAC mode, and sound basically the same as it does when plugged into the USB port using DAC mode. If I am not reading a forum or whitepaper or RFI, etc... and I am just focused 100% on the music, I guess the DAC sounds better. But it certainly is not night and day and you have to really be focused to even think about telling a difference. Maybe it is because I am 45 years old and my ears are not what they use to be, but most people purchasing a mobile set of headphones are not sitting in a dark quite room just listening to music sipping on a scotch and smoking a cigar... They are out and about with distractions, usually engaged in other activities.

I think I am one of the few people around here who really consider the difference between critical listening and casual listening. I do not have the time in my life to dedicate hours at a time to critical listening of music. I love music and love having it while I do other activities. Sound profile means more to me than the minute differences in the top .01%

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2022 at 5:35 PM Post #374 of 1,739
This may make me a pariah here but honestly...

For casual listening I do not feel any difference between the AptX (Non HD, Non Adaptive on the Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra) and USB DAC mode, and sound basically the same as it does when plugged into the USB port using DAC mode. If I am not reading a forum or whitepaper or RFI, etc... and I am just focused 100% on the music, I guess the DAC sounds better. But it certainly is not night and day and you have to really be focused to even think about telling a difference. Maybe it is because I am 45 years old and my ears are not what they use to be, but most people purchasing a mobile set of headphones are not sitting in a dark quite room just listening to music sipping on a scotch and smoking a cigar... They are out and about with distractions, usually engaged in other activities.

I think I am one of the few people around here who really consider the difference between critical listening and casual listening. I do not have the time in my life to dedicate hours at a time to critical listening of music. I love music and love having it while I do other activities. Sound profile means more to me than the minute differences in the top .01%
To my ears the sound of bluetooth is like nails scratching chalkboard in the background of whatever is playing. I can't listen to anything in bluetooth mode, casually or critically.
Maybe Apt-X adaptive sound smoother. I shall find out when my BT transmitter arrives.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back