Focal Bathys Hi-Fi Bluetooth & ANC Headphones: Early Impressions
Oct 18, 2022 at 12:58 PM Post #346 of 1,737
Sorry, my english is not so very good. I will get the Bathys at the beginning of the next week. I have read this thread and I have a maybe stupid question. Perhaps I do not understand it right. In the manual I have found that you can use the included USB C-cable for charging the Bathys or for listening to music via DAC. For listening to music via DAC on my iphone I need for example the ddHiFi TC28i PRO to connect the USB C to lightning. So far so good. Now my question: I have an USB C to lightning cable (for charging my Airpods Max). Is it possible to connect the Bathys to my iphone only with this cable and listen to music via DAC?

The standard USB-C to Lighting cable, that comes with the iPhone, is charging only.

AirpodMax have built in its own, DaC/Amp within its own housing, with a simple firmware update, they might stream lossless music, who knows, nobody knows.

Much like the AirPodPro 2022 are in its own, standalone product does not need any help.

This is a really deep rabbit hole you just started to look into, the hole is deep and dark, best to not even try going down there.

You need a very special, very hard to find, very much a golden unicorn cable, that's both rated, MFI and OTG

What I can suggest is get the ddHiFi adapter, its made out of metal, super tiny and light and is MFI OTG certified, meaning it has a chip inside, made by apple, that does a handshake with the iPhone, allowing both charging, Data and Music to Flow out of the iPhone.

With the ddHiFi adapter, you are then able to listen to music, using original Bathy's USB-C to USB-C cable and charge you iPhone with another good, USB-C to USB-C cable.

Or

Buy the Apple Camer Adapter, and enjoy having a Frankenstein cable, that is a real shame, having such expensive, sexy hardware.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2022 at 6:24 PM Post #348 of 1,737
Woah, I never saw that Hidizs adapter before. Very sleek. Does it basically have the same function as the lightning camera adapter, just type C instead of USB A?
I think that's the case. My cameral will plug in to my phone with that adapters, but an external thumb drive takes too much power.

Oct 19, 2022 at 12:28 PM Post #351 of 1,737
I have decided to keep my Bathys.

I haven't heard the PX8 or 5909, but compared to the more consumer end of Bose/Sony/etc they are clearly a step up in sound quality. I cannot judge B&W on sound quality as I've never owned a pair, but I think they are hideously ugly, and not a general fan of B&W so have pretty much ignored their offerings.

Initially I thought the Bathys were disappointing in ANC, but they are okay on the train, surprisingly good in crowds - walking through a train station, and not bad at all in the office. Different from Sony/Bose/Senheiser but not clearly inferior - they are not as good at suppressing train noise, but better with crowds and office chatter which is actually quite a boon.

The USB-C connection to my office PC works great. They are perfectly adequate for teams/zoom/phone calls using either BT or USB - not fantastic or as good as a separate mic, but certainly okay.BT connection is pretty good, I have it set to 96Khz but walking through a crowded station that does sometimes make it stutter or drop.

These are an everyday workhorse travel set: good for commuting, using in office for music and zoom, fine in a coffee shop, etc. They are not an audiophile experience, but rather a very decent sound and a clear step up from Bose/Sony/Sennheiser that I have owned over the years.

The controls are good, no silly swiping, just a few sensible buttons.

The worst aspect for me is that they are really rather small for people with large heads. I have them at maximum extension and really struggle to get them sitting properly on my head. Initially I could hardly bear to wear them for more than 15 minutes, but I have found a position that seems to work and is not too bad with hotspots on my head. After a week of owning them I can now wear them for 30-60 mins at a time before I start to struggle. This was almost a deal-breaker, but I'm getting used to them. I do generally have a lot of trouble finding a headphone that I find comfortable. The Focal Elex is worse for me than the Bathys.

I like the travel case and the way the Bathys fold and fit very easily and quickly when getting them into the case as you leave a train.

Got myself the Sennheiser BT 800 dongle for use in the office and it sounds fine, but the USB-C is perfectly usable with PC/Laptop too, wouldn't use it with my phone though, seems rather to defeat the object.

I definitely don't want a sibilant headphone when I'm commuting or in the office, and discussions of soundstage, etc are simply ridiculous for this kind of headphone IMO. The tuning seems fine to me.

These are a really well balanced set taking into account price/features/sound/etc.

For me this is a great buy for two kinds of people:
1. Audiophiles who have some really good headphones at home, but want a set for use outside the house when commuting, at the office, sitting in a coffee shop, etc. and feel sad when they listen to their Sony XMX.
2. People who just want a nice step up from Sony/Bose/Sennheiser/etc true wireless headphones with all the same features but better sound. For these people it could easily be their only headphone.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2022 at 1:22 PM Post #352 of 1,737
This post may be moot, as apparently my Bathys are scheduled to be delivered today.

However, I was just watching a review that stated the Samsung Galaxy S22 (not sure if ultra or not) cannot power the Bathys in DAC mode. Has anyone tried to power the Bathys in DAC mode from a Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra or the Samsung Galaxy Tab S8 Ultra (more important to me)? I purchased these because I am on flights all the time and I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab S8 Ultra that I watch movies and listen to music with while on flights. I really do not like dragging around a separate DAC and thought these would be a great all around solution for me.

I am also hoping they actually come through with the statement that LDAC is coming, else I will be getting a Pixel next round for my phone.

Oct 19, 2022 at 1:27 PM Post #353 of 1,737
This post may be moot, as apparently my Bathys are scheduled to be delivered today.

However, I was just watching a review that stated the Samsung Galaxy S22 (not sure if ultra or not) cannot power the Bathys in DAC mode. Has anyone tried to power the Bathys in DAC mode from a Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra or the Samsung Galaxy Tab S8 Ultra (more important to me)? I purchased these because I am on flights all the time and I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab S8 Ultra that I watch movies and listen to music with while on flights. I really do not like dragging around a separate DAC and thought these would be a great all around solution for me.

I am also hoping they actually come through with the statement that LDAC is coming, else I will be getting a Pixel next round for my phone.
No problem with Ultra 22? Sounds great even in BT mode.

Oct 19, 2022 at 1:27 PM Post #354 of 1,737

I've approached Focal support regarding USB issue in Samsung S22.
Got a reply after few days stating they checked the issue in their labs and found that there is no issue using the DAC USB with Samsung S22.
I hopefully will be able to check it myself soon .

Oct 19, 2022 at 1:28 PM Post #355 of 1,737
I have decided to keep my Bathys.

I haven't heard the PX8 or 5909, but compared to the more consumer end of Bose/Sony/etc they are clearly a step up in sound quality. I cannot judge B&W on sound quality as I've never owned a pair, but I think they are hideously ugly, and not a general fan of B&W so have pretty much ignored their offerings.

Initially I thought the Bathys were disappointing in ANC, but they are okay on the train, surprisingly good in crowds - walking through a train station, and not bad at all in the office. Different from Sony/Bose/Senheiser but not clearly inferior - they are not as good at suppressing train noise, but better with crowds and office chatter which is actually quite a boon.

The USB-C connection to my office PC works great. They are perfectly adequate for teams/zoom/phone calls using either BT or USB - not fantastic or as good as a separate mic, but certainly okay.BT connection is pretty good, I have it set to 96Khz but walking through a crowded station that does sometimes make it stutter or drop.

These are an everyday workhorse travel set: good for commuting, using in office for music and zoom, fine in a coffee shop, etc. They are not an audiophile experience, but rather a very decent sound and a clear step up from Bose/Sony/Sennheiser that I have owned over the years.

The controls are good, no silly swiping, just a few sensible buttons.

The worst aspect for me is that they are really rather small for people with large heads. I have them at maximum extension and really struggle to get them sitting properly on my head. Initially I could hardly bear to wear them for more than 15 minutes, but I have found a position that seems to work and is not too bad with hotspots on my head. After a week of owning them I can now wear them for 30-60 mins at a time before I start to struggle. This was almost a deal-breaker, but I'm getting used to them. I do generally have a lot of trouble finding a headphone that I find comfortable. The Focal Elex is worse for me than the Bathys.

I like the travel case and the way the Bathys fold and fit very easily and quickly when getting them into the case as you leave a train.

Got myself the Sennheiser BT 800 dongle for use in the office and it sounds fine, but the USB-C is perfectly usable with PC/Laptop too, wouldn't use it with my phone though, seems rather to defeat the object.

I definitely don't want a sibilant headphone when I'm commuting or in the office, and discussions of soundstage, etc are simply ridiculous for this kind of headphone IMO. The tuning seems fine to me.

These are a really well balanced set taking into account price/features/sound/etc.

For me this is a great buy for two kinds of people:
1. Audiophiles who have some really good headphones at home, but want a set for use outside the house when commuting, at the office, sitting in a coffee shop, etc. and feel sad when they listen to their Sony XMX.
2. People who just want a nice step up from Sony/Bose/Sennheiser/etc true wireless headphones with all the same features but better sound. For these people it could easily be their only headphone.
You are not alone 😃

Oct 19, 2022 at 1:38 PM Post #357 of 1,737
I would suggest you try the ML 5909 if comfort is any issue with the Bathys. They are much better for a larger head, and definitely more comfortable. You forget they are on...

Oct 19, 2022 at 2:01 PM Post #358 of 1,737
Question on USB DAC mode is when they are connected this way can they still receive a phone call, that is does the Bluetooth remain active and interrupt the USB stream when a call comes in?

Oct 19, 2022 at 2:10 PM Post #359 of 1,737
Question on USB DAC mode is when they are connected this way can they still receive a phone call, that is does the Bluetooth remain active and interrupt the USB stream when a call comes in?
BT is turned off in DAC mode

Oct 19, 2022 at 3:43 PM Post #360 of 1,737
Ok,

First, these headphones met all my expectations. The first song I play on new headphones is Muse Breaks Rmx by Infected Mushroom. No complaints, honestly.

Secondly, for those wondering, USB DAC mode works perfect on the Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra.

Pic, because...
20221019_145722.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back